• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Y encoder motor error on Sabre 408

Jeff28

Hey everyone, our Sabre 408 router went and died on us today. When we try and turn it on it beeps, then does a long tone and an error message comes up on the keyboard saying Y Encoder Motor error. There is also a light in the electrical box that says AMP FAULT that is on.

Little back story on our situation, we recently replaced the entire motor with a spare after the cables underneath were ripped out during use. The router seemed to work fine after this. A few days ago we had a power outage while the router was running, it worked fine after this too. After running about 5 more sheets the router stopped working. We were just jogging the carriage back to the front of the machine (not running a file), it started moving way faster than normal for about a half second then it stopped working.

So far ive come up with a few things this could be based on the user manual and asking around: a limit switch, an connection issue, or a computer component. I dont think its a limit switch based on how it failed. Just by visual inspection all the connections in qustion look good but there could be issues internally. With the power outage and seeming power surge wghile jogging the carriage i suspect a computer component has fried.

What ive done so far to fix my problem is take spare cables for the Y encoder and motor from another router and replaced the ones on our current router, Ive physically moved the carriage away from the y limit switches and tried to restart the machine.

Ian Stewart-Koster

Older Greyer Brushie
Can you borrow a servo with encoder, from another machine - just plug it in, not connected to the drive belts - and see if the initialising etc seems to work