• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Ya can't win 'em all

GoodPeopleFlags

Guy wants some signs for a new bar his opening and sends me the logo. Yuck. So I spent a couple of hours last night coming up with something else. I sent it to him and told him I had a project in my graphic design class to design a logo for a company, real or fake, and that I hope he didn't mind that I used his company name. I told him the teacher liked it so I wanted to show it to him, and if he wanted to use it for his logo, he could. He said he wanted to stay with his since he's already used in on some shirts. (He's not opening until Novemeber.) Ya can't win 'em all. But I have something for my portfolio! Mine could absolutely be better but like I said, I only spent 2 hrs on it. Oh, well!

Attachments

• JeffersonStPub_both.jpg
    JeffersonStPub_both.jpg
    33.5 KB · Views: 108

wildside

reminds me of one we recently did, originally they wanted to do a picture of the building with the name being the part on the sign on the building.....

so picture a big brick building.....centered up top is a huge photo of said building with a sign on that photo with the name..... they thought it was brilliant, i convinced them that having a picture of the building on the building when your standing in front of the building makes no sense, i was asked "explain to me why you would put the name as the largest part of the sign?" ummmmm yeah:rock-n-roll:

Bigdawg

Just Me
ProWraps is right - while your sign is a huge improvement over his original... neither looks like a logo to me.

That fine, fine type with the slogan is just too thin to be legible on something like a business card. The greens - while I get that you were going for street sign green on yours - conflict with each other and makes it look like one of them is off. Pub is just flat too bold or too big. I'm not sure which but the proportion of it looks huge over everything else for a logo.

These are just my thoughts... it would make a nice sign, but it isn't practical for a logo.

GoodPeopleFlags

There's no doubt that mine could be improved on but it's better than his. Pub signs & logos have so much room for creativity. Did I nail it? No. Does it matter. nope. If I was getting paid to do it, I would've spent more than 2 hours on it. I kept trying to get out of him what type of bar it's going to be and he didn't say much beyond "the kind with beer and live music". If I was being paid to create a logo for him, I would've picked his brain more about what direction to take with the design. Thanks for your feedback!

I really didn't post it as a "Look what I did!" kinda thread but more like a "sometimes ya just gotta please the customer" kinda thing. He's happy!

Bigdawg

Just Me
I understand what you are saying about posting BlueFish...no, it doesn't matter now, but you DID post it... and you know us well enough by now to expect us to comment on it :smile:

So fix it... make it a logo. Let's see what ya' got

GoodPeopleFlags

I understand what you are saying about posting BlueFish...no, it doesn't matter now, but you DID post it... and you know us well enough by now to expect us to comment on it :smile:

So fix it... make it a logo. Let's see what ya' got

If I had time I would play around with it but I don't. I really wish I had more time to create stuff just for fun. I'm a single mom, work full time and go to college. I'm also 41 and don't have the energy I used to!

I appreciate the feedback and totally get what you're saying! :toasting: