• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

yard signs on my property

JgS

It's raining and slow here so I thought I would take the time to get your opinion on something that was bothering me. My shop is on the only intersection in town and for a while people any been using my parking lot to post yard signs. (long before I moved in) At first I didn't remove them since it wasn't affecting parking or production. Plus I thought it would drive people to order yard signs from me. Lately there has been a huge increase of yard signs bring posed there. Whats bugging me is that not only are most of these signs not printed by me but not a single person has thought to call and ask permission. One person even went as far as to nail theirs to my sign.

I don't know if removing the signs is the best idea since in a small way it is a reminder that I make yard signs but would I be a jerk to require that any sign posted on my property must be printed and approved be me?

MrSalumi

You wouldn't be a jerk if you required everyone who came on you property to wear blue socks while eating chocolate ice cream and doing jumping jacks.

ITS YOUR PROPERTY (Go throw those signs in the garbage and keep doing it until they come ask your permission)

fresh

A couple of questions... Do you own or rent the property? Are the signs actually placed on this property or on the public right-of-way? And are there any laws prohibiting their placement? They are actually all illegal by me, but people put them up anyway.

Personally, I would take them down or have a zoning officer remove them. You said people aren't getting them from you, so its clearly not an effective way to advertise that product.

fresh

ALSO we don't allow people to leave fliers, advertisements, etc. in our shop. ALL of our customers are businesses, and most of them compete with each other. I can't possibly allow one landscaper to leave his card on my desk, and not allow the other 50 landscaping clients to the same. It just gets insane, so the answer is no to everyone.

I feel this is the same thing. I would not allow anyone to advertise for free on your property.

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
If you own the property then you can call the police and have them charged with littering. I've done this.... :smile:

If you rent the property then you need to get the property owners permission to file a complaint.

Now on someone attaching their sign to yours..... yeah I'd be having them charged with vandalism.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Call the phone numbers and tell them..... Hello Sir/Madam, this is Sargent Leon Shippawitz, badge number #286, Precinct #8. We have a written complaint about your signs being on such & such [give your address] property and you must come down to the station to pay the fines within 72 hours, or we will send a cruiser to your place at your expense to bring you in and then the charges will be mighty hefty. Should you refuse to pay, there will be an additional 30 day jail sentence on top of the fines. Failure to comply with any of these terms will put you in front of a Judge in 2 weeks. Govern yourself accordingly.

By the way, we've had some other complaints in your area..... is your name Cappy ??

JgS

You guys sure know some fun ways to spend a Friday. I'd like to find a way to leave some of hem up. They are just hard working people that want to get their name out there.

I'd thinking about building a monument sign with 18x24" spaces that can be rented. Can you tell it's slow today?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
And you think that will pass code ?? Remember, you have to do it legal like, they aren't paying any attention to the law.

Also, if you start getting some really lousy looking ones up there, how are you gonna control what looks good vs. bad so it doesn't look like you guys produced sh!t ??

JgS

It will pass code so long as it isn't over 16' and doesn't have any upward lighting. But the reality is I'm to lazy to actually make it. especially in the rain.

Donny7833

We had a similar issue with a business down the street. They put a 2x3 framed sign in front of our business directing traffic to their location (they're a candy company if it matters). Actually, they had 3 or 4 signs placed through out the business park.

I stopped by one day to talk to the owner. I very politely asked if he could move the sign to the corner of the property so it wouldn't be directly in front of our building. He was a bit of a d**k and said "well it's on the street side of the side walk, so it's not your property anyway, it's the cities") and promptly told me to F--- Off. So, I went back to the shop and called the city and asked for a copy of the sign ordinance, briefly explaining the situation. 20 minutes later a city cop drove through and took all the signs down, drove to the business and wrote them a ticket for not obtaining the proper permits to put a sign on city property, 1 ticket for each sign.

I smile and wave every time I see him.

Last edited by a moderator:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We had a similar issue with a business down the street. They put a 2x3 framed sign in front of our business directing traffic to their location (they're a candy company if it matters). Actually, they had 3 or 4 signs placed through out the business park.

I stopped by one day to talk to the owner. I very politely asked if he could move the sign to the corner of the property so it wouldn't be directly in front of our building. He was a bit of a d**k and said "well it's on the street side of the side walk, so it's not your property anyway, it's the cities") and promptly told me to F--- Off. So, I went back to the shop and called the city and asked for a copy of the sign ordinance, briefly explaining the situation. 20 minutes later a city cop drove through and took all the signs down, drove to the business and wrote them a ticket for not obtaining the proper permits to put a sign on city property, 1 ticket for each sign.

I smile and wave every time I see him.

That's one of the best stories I've heard in a long time around here. :thumb:

Last edited by a moderator:

Pat Whatley

Just pick them up whenever you see them. Don't trash them, just hang on to them in case they call about them. People are sticking them there because they see them there all the time and think that's where they should be.

Bly

Sounds like graffiti. The longer you leave it up the more it attracts.
Pull them down and bin them as soon as they go up.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
I'd pull them the day they show up...

If they show up again I'd pull them and give a somewhat polite phone call.

If that doesn't wok you have a few more options...

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Put up your own sign with an arrow pointing to theirs
Slightly used yard signs recovered CHEAP - Volume Discounts Available.

wayne k
guam usa

Craig Sjoquist

Here it is illegal on right of way & without permission from owner.

The people that order signs from you. I would let them place on property.
Leads to more marketing on other areas.

To me they are ghetto looking signs, but if people are making money in real like small towns or neighborhoods, then you tend to know the shop or person.

Many cities put the phone number on auto call...

TyrantDesigner

Art! Hot and fresh.
My buddy in Orlando would pay people $.05 a stake during political sign season to go pull them up and bring them in ... every morning code enforcement would go through and pull them up anyways. about 90% of the stakes weren't bent so he would get his freebee stakes for the next 2 years in the span of 2 months. shady, but effective. ... i loved that time of year as well ... in college i would gather up trunk fulls of them (used the coro as pallets for painting) and the stakes in all my welding projects. good stuff. :peace!:

Otherwise, just yank them. I wouldn't toss them .. for a month anyways. eventually, people will realize that corner is too expensive to put a sign up that will only last a few hours and stop putting them there.

I would also report the one who nailed his sign into yours for vandalism and press full charges.