• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

"You'll have to eat your chili with a fork": Managerial Failure 101

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
So, I was at that restaurant featuring the founder's ubiquitous red haired daughter. I had intended on getting a cup of their awesome (my opinion) chili, but they were running a special BOGO for $1 on their spicy chicken sandwiches, so I opted for that instead.

The young dude in front of me in line waited patiently for his order but soon returned, asking the gal behind the counter for a spoon.

"We're out of spoons"....she said. "There'll be more on the truck that comes in tonight...I guess you'll have to use a fork".

I couldn't resist the opportunity, and added "...Yeah, a fork AND A STRAW"!

During my brief ten minutes at the counter, I observed two additional orders of chili that were sent out the drive-thru window...most likely sans spoons.

I might be wrong here, but this borders on dereliction of duty on the manager's part. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to send somebody down to WalMart and get a box of plastic spoons...especially if you're going to continue to sell chili and Frostys. I'd be embarrassed as hell if it were my name were on the wall behind the counter.

JB

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
So, I was at that restaurant featuring the founder's ubiquitous red haired daughter. I had intended on getting a cup of their awesome (my opinion) chili, but they were running a special BOGO for $1 on their spicy chicken sandwiches, so I opted for that instead.

The young dude in front of me in line waited patiently for his order but soon returned, asking the gal behind the counter for a spoon.

"We're out of spoons"....she said. "There'll be more on the truck that comes in tonight...I guess you'll have to use a fork".

I couldn't resist the opportunity, and added "...Yeah, a fork AND A STRAW"!

During my brief ten minutes at the counter, I observed two additional orders of chili that were sent out the drive-thru window...most likely sans spoons.

I might be wrong here, but this borders on dereliction of duty on the manager's part. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to send somebody down to WalMart and get a box of plastic spoons...especially if you're going to continue to sell chili and Frostys. I'd be embarrassed as hell if it were my name were on the wall behind the counter.

JB
Maybe the spoon shipment is still sitting on a Yellow Truck... And he doesn't watch the news? Even then, the person in charge should have figured it out by now that he's not getting his spoons.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
Maybe the spoon shipment is still sitting on a Yellow Truck... And he doesn't watch the news? Even then, the person in charge should have figured it out by now that he's not getting his spoons.
Exactly. Managing the day-to-day includes observing AND RECORDING stock supplies. And I'm guessing this botch involved several shift managers along the way. It definitely wasn't a spontaneous problem that occurred this afternoon.

JB

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Except that the spoons that come from Wal-Mart (or Target or wherever) wouldn't be individually wrapped- and someone would complain they weren't sanitary (and, honestly, they probably wouldn't be). There are, though, plenty of restaurant supply places in most cities where they could have gone to get them without "waiting on the truck".

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Wait a minute.............. you're talking about workers who are around 15 or 16 years old and the manager is probably about 17 or so. You expect them to think of these things ?? C'mon now, you're lucky if they get the order correct, let alone hafta think outside the box. Like he said, it's already in a cup.

Johnny Best

Wait a minute.............. you're talking about workers who are around 15 or 16 years old and the manager is probably about 17 or so. You expect them to think of these things ?? C'mon now, you're lucky if they get the order correct, let alone hafta think outside the box. Like he said, it's already in a cup.
The Wendys close to me has people with ankle monitors and the manager is 50 or so with tats all over her body. Go to Walmart to get spoons, you're kidding right, and if your name was on the wall behind the counter you would be rich enough not to ever eat there. I like plastic sporks to to eat chile or their smoothies.

Last edited:

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
Around here they will charge you for that plastic spoon, or fork, or spork. .... and the bag they put the cup in. Cuz our governor is so "Green" Only rich people willing to pay for it get a spoon. Gotta eat that salad with your fingers.

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
The Wendys close to me has people with ankle monitors and the manager is 50 or so with tats all over her body. Go to Walmart to get spoons, you're kidding right, and if your name was on the wall behind the counter you would be rich enough not to ever eat there. I like plastic sporks to to eat chile or their smoothies.
What are you doing looking over the counter at the worker's ankles and body tats, unless you got the store wrong and get your chile and smoothies from Hooters?

ProSignTN

Every good sign truck I've ever commandeered has at least 3 spoons, 2 forks, a spork, a few straws (work great to blow shavings and dust away from a hole while drilling) and a couple packs of room temperature of Duke's mayonnaise packets stashed away in the console. How do you eat without these basics.

MDKAOD

The kids who run those places get paid next to nothing. If someone had a burning desire to climb the ladder of big fast food, then maybe that could have happened, but I'm not sure there is much of an understanding of Millennials let alone Gen Z around here.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Fast food joints are sketchy these days. Last time I was at Burger King my son and I had to run for our lives due to a domestic violence fight in the kitchen. I thought for sure the guy had a gun was going to start shooting. We were scared to death. We saw him walk through the parking lot and he must've walked in the back door and starting SCREAMING and we kinda laughed. Then you could hear him punching and slapping her. We commented when we saw him in the parking lot, "wow, look at that gang-banger with his droopey pants and hood up in 90 degree weather ha ha ha". Wasn't very funny 2 minutes later.

I won't be going back there lol

Stacey K

I like making signs
The best fast "food places" IMO are Culvers and Kwik Trip. They pay their employees well. I was just at Kwik Trip and associate managers make $50k+.