• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Your honest opinion wanted.

LoneRanger01

I was going to turn in when this question came to mind. About a year ago I wrote a small progran that would replace the dongle and protect the software writers/companies. I can't give you exact detail but I think I am aloud to discuss it in general
What my program does is replace the dongle or activation code with a built in license. Example: you buy a new copy of windows xp for one computer and my software in side of windos allows you to install windows on one compter. Should some one be dishonest and attempt to install the same copy of windows xp on a second computer then it will permenanly disable the second computer. Now keep in mind you could buy a new copy of xp that would be licensed to say three computers if you needed it.
I can say one large software company is testing and checking into the legalities of disabling a non licensed computer. However I have found one flaw in my software that I never would have taken into consideration had I not been reading all the post on this form. I never took into account that some day a person would want to resale their old software so they could buy new,,,,,,my bad. what do you think and any question other than how does it know which is the real computer.

Please keep in mind the primary mission of my program is to fight piracy. Replacing the dongle is a by product of the mission.

Last edited:

LoneRanger01

Here is my idea for the resale of the protected software. The current owner of the license would have to go online and have his copy on his compuer/s deactivated so it was nolonger be useable then mail in his original disk so a duplicate with a valid activation code could be given to the second buyer......duplicate disk to be sent to original licensee.

ucmj22

Here is my idea for the resale of the protected software. The current owner of the license would have to go online and have his copy on his compuer/s deactivated so it was nolonger be useable then mail in his original disk so a duplicate with a valid activation code could be given to the second buyer......duplicate disk to be sent to original licensee.

Sounds like a service the software company would have to charge for. However they might be open to it because I believe it is currently illegal to resell software (I could be wrong here), and it would give the software company the ability to gain a profit in an instance where before 2 customers would have used one purchased license (non-concurrently).

LoneRanger01

I think in 09 or10 the courts ruled that the owner of the original disk could legally sell their licensed software. some thing to do with copy right law....This is not meant to be an add on or an extra service to charge for. it will be built into the software program of all who buy it. Example: Microsoft builds it into the windows disk. You buy the windows and install it. the disk knows how many time you install it. you don't know it is there untill you try and install it on a second computer. Then your second computer dies.

ucmj22

I think in 09 or10 the courts ruled that the owner of the original disk could legally sell their licensed software. some thing to do with copy right law....This is not meant to be an add on or an extra service to charge for. it will be built into the software program of all who buy it. Example: Microsoft builds it into the windows disk. You buy the windows and install it. the disk knows how many time you install it. you don't know it is there untill you try and install it on a second computer. Then your second computer dies.

I was thinking of the mailin back and forth with the old disc and supplying a new disc for the second hand customer, I just couldn't imagine a software company doing that for free.

ucmj22

What if a download link was generated for the second hand customer that would be sent by email after the first copy was deactivated. The link would downloa and install the required key to the 2nd computer? I'm no pc whiz, just a thought.

WildWestDesigns

Sending the original disc in and then sending a second one out might be a little more effort then what some people would want to do. Especially since I cannot imagine that any company would do that for free unless they upped the original charge with that in mind.

I do know one software company that I use for my little CNC router has you call in to have them deactivate the original computer in order for you to install it on another one.

Either way it's somewhat of a pain. In that regard I like having the dongle. My embroidery CAD software using a dongle. You can upload the program to as many computers as you want, but only one can be running at any one time.

LoneRanger01

I see your point and it is not and was not my goal to supply software comanies with another way to generate revenue. Maybe I could put a time stamp in the program that would turn the activation code off after a specified amount of time. say two years. I don't know exactly how long it take these software companies to upgrade their software.

Williams Signs

What would happen if you had a failure on the first computer and you had to install it on a new machine or back on the original after you replaced they hrad drive?

LoneRanger01

The program would know if you just replaced the HHd or just replaced the mother board. Reinstallation would be allowed. as for putting it on a new computer you would have to get a replacement disk. However the company could have a temporay program for you to down load that would be good for a specified time limit giving you and them time to exchange disks.

The other thing I have thought about is to use the internet to activate the software so then it would know if you needed to put it on a new computer or if you were trying to use it on two computers.

LoneRanger01

maybe I'm trying to over think this. My software is designed to keep track of what and how many computers the software is installed on. If I just leave the activation of the software to their companies then if you resold your copy you could have it deactivated over the net and who ever bought it from you could then have it reactivated on their computer.
And just so everyone know ever since win xp came out and you had to activate it on the net microsoft knew/knows if you were installing it on a second computer or a repaired computer.

LoneRanger01

I don't know if those of you who use a dongle know this and maybe I shoukdn't tell you but if you hook your computers up in a network and put you shortcut key in the shared file you can run that program from any of your work stations (only one at a time). then you can send the work back to the master computer to have it cut or printed and the dongle never has to be moved. ooops did I just say that out loud.....

Last edited:

WildWestDesigns

I don't know if those of you who use a dongle know this and maybe I shoukdn't tell you but if you hook your computers up in a network and put you shortcut key in the shared file you can run that program from any of your work stations (only one at a time). then you can send the work back to the master computer to have it cut or printed and the dongle never has to be moved. ooops did I just say that out loud.....

That's been talked about with a couple of software programs on this board. In my case, it isn't worth the effort to setup a network for me to do that. I am sure though that my setup is a rarity.

iSign

I don't know if those of you who use a dongle know this and maybe I shouldn't tell...

...ooops did I just say that out loud.....

For such a hardass blowhard with all your righteous indignation regarding theft... you falling off your high horse so soon, makes it seem like the first moment the lone ranger was lulled into a false sense of security, he has his mask plucked off his eyes before he knows it...

hmmm, accidental VHF recording? sounds like about $2.80 worth of intellectual property theft... (per day)

Oh well, no real fall from grace... nobody here falls for masked men, super heroes, or perfect egos anyway... You'll fit in fine here... just another cocky flawed personality like the rest of us :smile:

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Seems to me that Adobe has evolved into an acceptable solution. I wasn't real comfortable with the authorization requirements that came with CS2. But when I upgraded to CS5.5 it was just a matter of registering with them and they tied my old purchase records into the new record. I was able to uninstall my old software and simply input the S/N on the CD in and it accepted it. I also noticed online that they have a form to unregistered the program from one computer and you will then have the authorization to install on a different computer.

The system, of course, depends totally on the computer being connected to the internet and, as before, Adobe's license allows you to install their applications on two computers ... not just one.

I think the flaw in your thinking is that many times these issues come up with older software. This is where you'll find that many publishers are not going to be interested in helping a licensee deal with these issues when they aren't willing to upgrade to a current version. Their rationale is that there are limits to support.

LoneRanger01

iSign...."For such a hardass blowhard with all your righteous indignation regarding theft... " Assuming this isn't a personal attack on my good morals which I don't believe it is, please provide and example to back up your statement.
As for accidently recording a show on to a VHS the accident was I had forgot to turn the VHS recorder off and later found the episode of the lone ranger on it. And since when is it illegal or considered a theft by recording a tv show. Maybe you think I have been using it as a master copy and am selling it on ebay,......not so And while I do not deney that I am a "hardass" (I prefer the term Hard core) on my views I do find your statement both insulting and without merrit.

Yes it is no secret that I am spellingly challaneged, but I have also notice some people here are challenged in the reading department. I asked for your honest opinion on my software idea, not my moral values...... That being said please by all means have a nice week end.

LoneRanger01

Fred.....Let ne first apologize for starting this thread in the wrong section and thank you for putting in in the correct place. I will do my best not to let it happen again.

My software was and still is written for what I call throw away programs. It is a security program that does not allow duplication of either the disk or the installation. A throw away program is like example: windows. some one buys it uses it then when they up grade to a newer version they simply put the old version in the drawer. Very seldom does anyone sell their old copy of windows.
I thought after reading the posts on this forum that maybe I could adapt the program so I could capture a larger market....get that one last big score before quitting, the million dollar idea as it were. At this point in time I have no interest in writting or trying to reinvent the auto cad or sign software.
I came to and joind this forum so I could learn the ins and outs of the other sign making software, the problems other sign makers have with the software programs they use and how they fix them, just so I can better service and support the sign makers who have purchased computers from me. It's one of my business rules, the boss and employees will all give 110%. any thing less is not acceptable.

Techman

I think your software lock ideas are not well thought out.

The timer ideas has been used. In fact copyshop 2000 international used it to turn off its scan to print software after something like 8 years. That idea brought it a quick reversing and it was spread all over the internet back in 2002.

Disabling a computer is law suit bait.
Using regserv.dll is an old idea defeated long ago. All I have to do is get regdllview and I can see what was placed there.
All that activate /deactivate is reverse engineering bait.
All software locks are easily defeated. All it takes is a motivated moment and its done. There are places that will unlock software for FREE. All people do is ask.
Dongled soft wares are now reversed and defeated within hours by kids in high school.

The only software that the reverses are having trouble with is the one using bablefish encryption.

So good luck. Learn to use bablefish and you can lock anything.