• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Your thoughts of new Epson's SureColor wide format printer.

Sashatronics

Few days ago i got informed about this brand new printer Epson is coming out. Here is little more info on their website:
Epson New Printer!

also if you download their pdf file HERE
They have comparison between gs6000 and new printer, states gs6000 ink life outdoors is only 1.5 years, its about time they finally stated that.

I have no plans to upgrade, my gs6000 still running/printing but would love to see what is the big difference.

Lincan

Price of ink

With only CMYK color set vs 8 colors on GS, I think it will cheaper to use EPSON SURECOLOR S30670. The price also more affordable. This make me think to upgrade to this new printer. I wonder the printhead price, is it less than GS or my Roland VS printhead price? And I want to know how long the printhead lifecycle, because Epson offer minimum 1 printhead replacement for every year of their service plan even unlimited amount of printhead if we choose the platinum extended service plan. And if it is true, epson said that this 4 colors printer is rivals - if not exceeds - the photographic print quality of the GS6000, so why buy $25000 GS if you can buy $17000 SURECOLOR S3067.

Rydaddy

Hah!

I thought of you when I saw they had this printer out. I am really interested in what this thing can do. I've had good luck with ours though (gs60000), so i may be more open to buying there next incarnation. From looking at the pics it appears as though they have made some much needed changes.

Letterbox Mike

I thought of you when I saw they had this printer out. I am really interested in what this thing can do. I've had good luck with ours though (gs60000), so i may be more open to buying there next incarnation. From looking at the pics it appears as though they have made some much needed changes.

Yeah it does. From the looks of it they learned what not to do from the GS6000 and carried that over to this one. Still looks overengineered to a degree but much more in the right direction. I like the fact that they got smart and put a media release lever in the back, that alone is a big deal. The media feed looks like it will work better (or work at all in our case), I'm still on the fence on the takeup though, I can't tell if it's an improvement or not.

And holy bajeezus is that a big post heat platen!

BryStick

The thing that most surprised me was that they came out with a 4 color ink system. That seems to be a reversal of direction from most of Epson's other professional printers which are 8-11 colors. I could see them having gone with 6 colors, but 4 seems like a big change. What will be the difference in gamut on the SureColor? I know they say that it will rival or exceed the photographic print quality of the GS6000, but I can't see how it could match the colors as well in some instances.

bilge

I think 4 color ink system is not reversal direction. It's like back to the right path.
8 to 10 colors gives a better color gamut, but it makes difficult color management, unnecessary expense, speed loss and handling trouble. I don't have GS, but had 9900 and sold it out. CMYK is well enough for most cases. It is really not necessary to keep something like O, G, and LLK staff. Those are spent only in head cleaning cycle :(. Of course there are some "most demanding" customers. Their numbers are less than 10 percent of customers here. I just ignore them, I need to make some money in mutual benefit with my customers, not treat their complexity.

rjssigns

They may have found a way to vary the Dot Angle which impacts gamut. That is how the HP Indigo digital press manages to hit PMS codes with CMYK. And yes I understand they are vastly different technologies, but that does not mean there is nothing to learn from the digital press side.

vroongraphics

Just when I was liking the HP latex, I see this thread and am intrigued....interested to see some samples and hear some customer feedback on this printer....

aidansmith

I was seriously considering the gs6000, scandalous the way they are now giving out facts about the ink in that printer.

other than that looks a pretty good entry level printer especially for a newbie to digital printing. but trust epson to lie to you and God knows what the ink prices will be like.

still waiting on mimaki latex prices but pretty sure they will be over the $20k mark (I am in the UK and expecting similar prices to the new HP)

argogia

Epson surecolor 50670

I bought the EPSON Surecolor 50670 dual head printer with 5 colors option and onyx.

The machine works great on speed on 1 pass if you are printing texts @990 sqft per hr.
at 6 pass good quality prints @270 sqft per hr.

even at 8 pass the speed is 170 - 190 sqft per hr.

But i am fed up of this printer in just 10days. because it can not print accurate sizes. The Epson engineer visited my facility says there is a margin of +/- 4mm on every 100mm print. wtf.

the feed system is bad takes you back in the era of hp 8000. or earlier. Pinch roller system is pathetic.

anyone of you who have installed the same and having similar problems or have a solution to this. please share. else i am going to return this printer to EPSON.

I bought the EPSON Surecolor 50670 dual head printer with 5 colors option and onyx.

The machine works great on speed on 1 pass if you are printing texts @990 sqft per hr.
at 6 pass good quality prints @270 sqft per hr.

even at 8 pass the speed is 170 - 190 sqft per hr.

But i am fed up of this printer in just 10days. because it can not print accurate sizes. The Epson engineer visited my facility says there is a margin of +/- 4mm on every 100mm print. wtf.

the feed system is bad takes you back in the era of hp 8000. or earlier. Pinch roller system is pathetic.

anyone of you who have installed the same and having similar problems or have a solution to this. please share. else i am going to return this printer to EPSON.
That is a four percent error rate!?! I would agree that is unacceptable. However, have you looked at size adjustments that may be available in your RIP software? Many RIPs make size adjustment controls available to compensate for media feed variations...Onyx definitely does in the Media Manager.

kanini

Whoever said it's +-4 mm / 100 mm is wrong, had to look it up since it sounded so awful. In Epsons own 53 page brochure on page 34 they point out that the machine has very good feed accuracy of 0,4 mm / 50 meters (164 ft)...

scene329

We had horrible results with our S70. We had it for 4 months and had nothing but issues. LCD went out, new take up system, firmware upgrades and we still had print registration issues. If you looked at a print, one side would look great but, as you progressed to the end of the sheet it became fuzzy and out of register. Needless to say it was a giant paper weight. We sent it back and purchased a 3rd GS6000.

In my opinion I think the GS6000's print better than the S70. Maybe we just had a lemon.. Hope everyone else is having a better experience.

DougWestwood

Epson 30670

Hello All!

We have an EPSON 30670, and it works very well except that it sprays extra ink onto the margins of the material.
Only happens with blue, and we've been able to trim off the spray, but that won't always work.
Responds to cleaning but not completely. It's not a lot of ink, but there's a slight blue cloud around blue parts of prints.

Other than that, ink use is reasonable, price too. Seems very easy to handle different profiles.
Haven't had a profile failure yet. (2 months).

Good Luck!
- Doug

Nuteksigns

Epsom printer

Hello All!

We have an EPSON 30670, and it works very well except that it sprays extra ink onto the margins of the material.
Only happens with blue, and we've been able to trim off the spray, but that won't always work.
Responds to cleaning but not completely. It's not a lot of ink, but there's a slight blue cloud around blue parts of prints.

Other than that, ink use is reasonable, price too. Seems very easy to handle different profiles.
Haven't had a profile failure yet. (2 months).

Good Luck!
- Doug

Hi Doug, did you get your printer from Proveer? If so, how has the after sales service been? Have they tried to fix your ink spray issue?
I am pretty close to buying one from Proveer to replace my Roland Pro II

Cheers,
David.