• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Zinsser primer

Bluedog

Any thoughts on using Zinsser primer on un painted aluminum ? It says on the can it can be used on aluminum ? I searched the Internet and seen it being suggested to use an etching primer? Would sanding lightly do the same thing?

fresh

Go to Sherwin Williams and ask for their DTM (direct to metal) paint. I'm pretty sure you don't need to prime it metal before using it, but they would know better than me. I've been using it in place of one-shot recently, and I really like it... and as a bonus, you can have almost any color mixed! woop!

Bluedog

After searching the Internet for hours, it is my understanding and I could be wrong, but it seems to me that if it a mil finish , latex primer will work! If it is anodized , this must be etched or sanded, then latex primer will be ok!

rjssigns

Sherwin-Williams DTM is the bomb. Used it on an auto repair. Got bite like a junkyard dog.

Do it right. Do it once.

Jackpine

Zinsser primer is or was shellac base.....I would NOT use it. Shellac was used as a sealer for wood. It gets brittle.

Bluedog

The other post started out about covering aluminum with vinyl, but then I asked about paint, I thought it would be easier to start a new thread on that subject! O well now there is 2, lol! Thanks again for the info!