• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

zippy cutters

gabagoo

I think these little cutters are remarkable. simple idea that really comes in handy for cutting away backing paper. The only flaw with the device is that the blades can get dull and then suddenly in the middle of holding a rather large piece of vinyl , the cutter refuses to cut and instead just gets stuck. I nursed these blades far to long and finally decided to get some straight razors. Went to Wallmart and they don't sell them so I am glad they did not and went to Amazon. I ordered some for $17 Canadian and that included shipping. I figured there were probably 10 in the pack. Waited about a week and they showed up today. The box was shipped from England via mail and contained 20 5 blade packs!!!! Loaded the first blade and my zippy is like new :)
How can they do that with shipping for $17? wow

ikarasu

Blades are cheap. I use a double edge razer (Kind of the same blade) And paid like $10 for a 100 pack.

How is the snitty on cutting backing paper? I always presumed the plastic was too thick, so I havent tried it. Ours is just used on our laminator, to ensure people don't cut into the rollers. For cutting backing paper I purchased one of these -

Ehdis® Auto Wrap Vinyl Cutter with 2 Replaceable Double Side Blade, Stainless Steel Precision Cutting Knife Slitter Affordable Bowery Manual Utility Knife for Automotive Vinyl Wrap Material, Window Tinting Kits - Amazon Canada

It's great, but after a few months the metal is starting to catch onto the vinyl... I might get it's "Big brother" BodyGuard Knife - Teflon Almost 5x the price, but the Teflon should help quite a bit.

GaSouthpaw

Profane and profane accessories.
Pretty much the same Wilkinson blades I use in my razor. And yeah- the ones I got from Amazon had 100 of 'em, too. I don't shave that often (twice a week, maybe), so I'm still on the pack I bought a year ago.
Also, we use Zippy cutters all over the graphics shop.

2B

we found that you can spray the cheaper cutter with a teflon coating and it works great!

Both of the cutters are very helpful and the metal one is ideal for doing a hinge install