• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Zund Acrylic Bit

DoubleDown

Looking for Zund or router owners and your best advice on bits for really small letters and then normal letters. Looking for a bit that provides a nice finish.

Anyone use any polishing bits?

DoubleDown

I'd say 1/8 to 1/4 acrylic and just like 1-2" letters. I'm just looking to get advice on people who really have the cutting of acrylic down to science with a nice edge, etc. We have the ability to go up to 50K on the router speed so looking for great advice on 1/8" bits for smaller radii and bits for normal cutting.

ignorance2

My best resultes have been with the R-113 bit. Also before I route I put 2 layers of pre-mask on the sheet, and put that side down on the table. And from my experiance use a "soft acrylic" I forget if thats extruded or cast. Most important use new mats if its going to be smal letters.

mygraphicsshop

We use onsrud bits. The part numbers I would use are as follows.

1/16 diameter with 1/8 shank= 64-000
1/8 diameter with 1/4 shank= 64-012

I would set the router speed to 35,000 rpm. I would also leave the paper or plastic sheeting on the acrylic and only route through the acrylic not the paper or plastic sheeting. This will help with them being sucked into the machine or moving. The part numbers above are downcut bits which should help improve the small pieces from moving around. Just to feel confident I would even do 2 passes. One thing I have also found is that when you are setting up the file in "Touch and Cut/Zund Cut Center" the "UP" position needs to be at least an inch off of the material. This will prevent the letter from being sucked up with the vacuum. If all else fails then I would route these with the collection vacuum turned off.

mygraphicsshop

I use xy=4 z=2 acceleration =2 and normal direction. But these may be different if you are cutting cast or extruded and will also be different depending on the letter size. Ive had very good luck using those settings on anything over 2" with cast acrylic and polycarb. Also, assuming you are using a 4x8 sheet make sure you close off the zones of the vacuum table that are not being used. This will allow for maximum suction.