• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Need Help Zund rough cuts with laminate on boards

Danskitt

Hi all, does anyone know why when we mount a laminated vinyl to a substrate and cut with a drag knife (usually Z10, Z11 or Z46) we get this strange jagged edge, get it on all stock that we mount to PVC, corflute and magnet stock

IMG_3126[1].JPG

Josh Martinez

X-Edge Products Excellent Speed, Excellent Quality
How thick was the material? Looks like the knife was not cutting it. It looks like the top was being ripped on the shank of the knife and not cutting with the blade. I have routed this and dragged it routed with Razor(XR2062-CB) at 1,800 IPM and with the knife XZ0046(Z46) at 800 IPM depending on thickness of material. Hope this helps.

Let it rip,
Josh

Raum Divarco

General Manager CUTWORX USA / Amcad & Graphics
depending on your blade CEL and angle you are slicing through various densities of materials.
you also have to keep in mind that the the thickness of the adhesive on the vinyl allows for a semi-shifting layer that can move and then pop instead of a smooth cut.
I would check my blade and use different angle profiles (splitting the cellular material with a soft, shifting and stretchy vinyl mounted can cause some popping), make sure there is not an adhesive buildup on the blade (wipe often with teflon spray if u have guillotine) and reevaluate your lamination pressure and speeds.
we often see on different materials and brands these wavy cuts on the laminate face side.
it takes a little sleuthing due to the variety of materials out there but proper tool choice with optimal feeds and speeds often win the day.

Flatbed Tools

Merchant Member
Hello Dan, Is the cut quality same on the scrap material as well? If it does, you should try a thinner blade with the lowest cutting angle, our K16 or an asymmetric blade such as our K83. You will need to use the gold knife holder in the UCT with the K16. If not, you may have an issue with the T axis on your Universal Module. To further test I would recommend using the second placing the UCT in a second UM if you have one?

If you have any further questions please feel free to give us a call +1 262 800 6500 or hit us up with chat session on our website.

Danskitt

depending on your blade CEL and angle you are slicing through various densities of materials.
you also have to keep in mind that the the thickness of the adhesive on the vinyl allows for a semi-shifting layer that can move and then pop instead of a smooth cut.
I would check my blade and use different angle profiles (splitting the cellular material with a soft, shifting and stretchy vinyl mounted can cause some popping), make sure there is not an adhesive buildup on the blade (wipe often with teflon spray if u have guillotine) and reevaluate your lamination pressure and speeds.
we often see on different materials and brands these wavy cuts on the laminate face side.
it takes a little sleuthing due to the variety of materials out there but proper tool choice with optimal feeds and speeds often win the day.
Thanks, I'll start trying some different combinations

Danskitt

Hello Dan, Is the cut quality same on the scrap material as well? If it does, you should try a thinner blade with the lowest cutting angle, our K16 or an asymmetric blade such as our K83. You will need to use the gold knife holder in the UCT with the K16. If not, you may have an issue with the T axis on your Universal Module. To further test I would recommend using the second placing the UCT in a second UM if you have one?

If you have any further questions please feel free to give us a call +1 262 800 6500 or hit us up with chat session on our website.
Thanks Flatbed, we are in Australia but thanks for the offer. We had a Z83 blade and tried that and it made a massive improvement, only got a faint amount of the dragging at the start of the cut

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
If this is 3mm PVC try the Z46 blade and slow down to about 10-12 ips. Going too fast on pvc will cause that jagged edge.