• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Zund Router and Cutting Help

Grizzly

It’s all about your print!
Hey Everyone,
We've recently bought a ZUND L2500 Cutter and I was wondering if some of the more experienced Zund operators could help me out with a couple of things.

First: I'm trying to find a good router bit for ePanel/DIBOND. I've been using the R114 & R116 but they don't last very long. I cut 5ea 24x36 on a 4x8 sheet and by the 3rd sheet I'm having to file the back side so it's not sharp. It seems like a $30 bit would last longer than that! Just wondering if anyone has any suggestions for what bit and settings to use that would have better results.

Second: What mats do you cut on or do you cut on MDF? I tried 1/8 MDF but It doesn't suck through enough to hold anything smaller than a 24x36 size. $50 for the Zund cutting mats seem really expensive for the size they are.

Third: I've broke 3 oscillating blades (2ea Z21 & 1ea Z61) trying to cut 10mil coroplast. Any advice?

Thanks
Jeremy

Attachments

• Photo May 18, 3 55 04 PM.jpg
    Photo May 18, 3 55 04 PM.jpg
    31.2 KB · Views: 534
  • Photo May 18, 3 56 17 PM.jpg
    Photo May 18, 3 56 17 PM.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 368

RoCo

We've had the same model Zund for just over a year, now, and really like it. From our relatively short experience with this router:

1) We've test cut both diBond and alumacor with a 4mm (like a 6mm R116), but used multiple (2 and 3) passes on each material, so that may possibly help with blade life. We have not cut multiple panels so I can't say that for certain.

2) The cutting mat material from Zund is pretty inexpensive, but it can't take too much punishment (especially when subjected to novice operators like ourselves). Our first set lasted about six months, so we ordered some other stuff from cutguru.com that's held up much better, especially combined with our gaining more experience. It's pretty expensive (I think about $450?) but it's definitely holding up better.

3) I'd definitely use a router bit on the 10mm coroplast. Those little z21's can't handle it.

Check out cutguru.com, though. Lots of blades and bits on there. Easier ordering through them online than Zund, with all the faxing, etc.

Hope this helps!

DoubleDown

we keep 10 dibond bits on hand at all times because they do dull fast. As soon as you see the edges start to not cut nice, change the bit and keep that old bit for cutting into pvc.

We buy the old conveyor belt material in 10' lengths, works great and as long as you AKI correctly, you'll be fine.

always cut 10mm with a fluted bit, very thin straight flute bit, cut's like butter.

SebastienL

1- Two passes. First pass with Belin 1/4" upcut (Cat No 12635). Leave .025" for finishing with Belin 1/4" Downcut (Cat No 13635). I use this process all the time with no problem.
Both at 18000 rpm with about 100 in/min feed.

2-I have a 1" mdf board on my table right now. I don't have a problem with suction on anything bigger than 6" x 6", but that will depend on your vaccuum. "Masking" the empty sections of the table helps a lot. So if you have a 2' x 4' blank on your table, put styrene, banner, whatever to mask the portions of the table you are not using. You can also turn off sections of the table, but I preffer masking since the mdf will lay flat. (For your info, We have a Multicam MT 3000)

3-I haven't been able to get a clean cut with a router bit on coroplast yet. I always get frizzies on the flute ends. But I do find that the older the coroplast, the better the results. So "aged" coroplast with a brand spanking new bit.

I hope this is helpfull...

jasram

Hello

I think you should use the peg MDF Board as your base for routing. And also when cutting dibond or other hard material spray little bit of WD-40. Go couple passes at slow speed.

tykooner

Dibond Routing

I use Belini bit 33317 which is an 1/8" upflute and is really a good bit for dibond.

Sure this bit dulls somewhat quickly on dibond compared to aluminum, but in using the 1/8" when it does dull you still get extended life and it is easy to clean-up using a deburring tool.

A deburring tool or pipe deburring tool will run you about $7 from Homedepot.

Cutting Specs - 1 pass using belini 33317, 50000rpm, 1"/sec

I use Zund pads, get about 3months use with 8hrs/day cutting M-F....just take care to not cut deep, keep a "clean" pad for smaller jobs.

For 10mil corex, you can cut with a type 3 blade if you 2 stage it...manual depth set to half, then extend blade a little, aki and recut...need slower speeds 6"/sec 2 accel...but I mainly use Belini bits to cut 10mil Belini #33635, or 13317, both upflutes 1/4" and 1/8" respectfully.

JimDonnelly

Just a quick suggestion: Zund now has an owners group on LinkedIn. We just started it and there about 100 active users/owners. If you need info on signing up, just let me know.

stephenisburger

9 years later... but if you do it in two passes, at 8" inches per sec, it cuts smooth and perfect. We use the r204 bits. If you cut it too slowly and too many passes, it'll give you those jagged edges. Hopefully this helps a decade later! lol