• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

10x40 banner

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I have a 10x40 banner mounted directly to an rpanel exterior wall. Some locations the banner ends up ripping off. They are secured every 2' with self tapping sheet metal screws and washers. Some banners fail by grommets ripping out, and some fail with the actual fasteners ripping out. We've also had some on tension systems that have failed too. My thought is to add 1" aluminum square tubing around the perimeter of the banner over the grommets once it's attached. Anyone have any thoughts on that idea? The goal is to balance cost. An alternative was to make 10x40 out of aluminum panels but it's significantly more expensive.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
There's just not enough meat for your screws to take hold on that stuff. How fast are they failing ?? How long are they supposed to last ??

Your idea of the tubing sounds like a lotta extra work, but it might be worth it to keep the customer happy. You might try some butterfly bolts here and there, to make sure they don't rip out, either.

gnubler

When I was researching installing a massive banner on a hangar door (posted on the forum) a keder rail came up as a good contender for hanging such a large banner. Too late for your current banner and also more work to install, but maybe an idea for future banners.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
I have about 50 of these all over the country starting a year ago. Most of them are still up and doing fine. I say about 5 or 6 have failed. One was in a high-wind area in New Mexico so that was no surprise.. they had previous banners there fail before my client bought them out so they knew that was a trouble spot. About 4 or 5 of the rest are all over the central and southeast and they fail after storms which isn't a surprise either. I'm just thinking that maybe in the higher-wind areas of the west that adding square tube would be another barrier to hold them down. It seems that once one grommet gives, the rest follow suite. My thought it the tubing would stop the chain reaction. I've looked into the more professional frames but I'm trying to think of a simpler (less costly material and install) method. The customer is well aware of the limitations with banners and the differant price points of different substrates... I'm just shooting around an idea.

Texas_Signmaker

Very Active Signmaker
Maybe just ramp the grommets up to 12" or 18" frequency.
Instead of 1" tubing, I'd find a shop to cut 8 or 10' x 2" lengths of .090" or .125" aluminum to do the same thing, it's hard to run a self tapper through tube without shearing the screw. You'd need to at least pre drill the outer hole. Alternatively .125" angle would work, it would just give an odd 'frame' around the banner.
Then again everyone can get unistrut at lowes, that stuff just kinda pricey if you're just using it for this purpose.
Good point about the square tube.

Last edited:

2B

with it being on R- Panel, the wind will get behind the banner from the "valleys"
you need to have screws every 12", the Ribs are 12" on center for standard sheeting

agree that angle or flat bar will be better and more visually pleasing vs square tubing

Stacey K

I like making signs
Can you just use some .040 flat aluminum strips all along it? IDK maybe that's not the best idea but it's cheap?

Stacey K

I like making signs
I was thinking that might be too thin.

I'm liking the angle ideas.

Id do 12" grommets but they will almost never line up on a 40' long banner.
Yes that's a better idea with angle. And I agree the grommets never line up so you might have to drill on-site? I just did a 12'x53' banner that they screwed to a semi. I have the grommets every 12" but it looks like they only screwed in every other one and the bottom is loose becuase the semi is only like 10' tall. I tired to tell him but he didn't listen. I also told him the banner was 12' long in a tube and he sent a car so whatever I guess.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
You could always get a portable grommet tool. I have a nice one. It went through some 18oz banners I hadda do some time ago.

gnubler

Right?! Its amazing how folks have no concept of measurements and size. They send someone with a ford focus to pick up a 48x48" sign.
Reminds me of one of my favorite Youtube install videos using a Honda Civic and grandma's quilt to protect the sign.
4x8.png