• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M 180cV3

sghobbies

OMG......we've been using oracal forever. Lately 3951ra. We just switched to the 180cV3 and 8518 ......this stuff is AMAZING compared to oracal . I may use the 3951ra for special applications, but from now on, I think the 180cV3 will be our daily use film. We felt like we had died and gone to heaven.:clapping:

LoudPrinting

You are right 3M 180c is the best stuff money can buy. Much better looks than version 1. However, it is a little less unforgiving.

kustomkoncepts

I use V2 and 8518 lam. what can you tell me about V3 that I might buy a roll of V3 next?

and I to have tried so many different wraps and came back to 3M everyone has to try them all and make their own take on them.

3M all the way

sghobbies

I use V2 and 8518 lam. what can you tell me about V3 that I might buy a roll of V3 next?

and I to have tried so many different wraps and came back to 3M everyone has to try them all and make their own take on them.

3M all the way

So far I LOVE the v3. I struggled with oracal for so long that I was beginning to doubt my willingness to install wraps, but the 3M changed my mind. I really like the repositionability this film offers vs oracal. Oracal is just to aggressive in my opinion, allthough it has its advantages in certain installs. I also have a sample roll of 380V3 I am dying to try.

kustomkoncepts

use Primer 94 on questionable areas and it works great.

I use P 94 on plastic door mandles, Trim, Molds, Door Edges ect.

have had no to little edge cirly problems.

sghobbies

use Primer 94 on questionable areas and it works great.

I use P 94 on plastic door mandles, Trim, Molds, Door Edges ect.

have had no to little edge cirly problems.

We used some of that yesterday in fact. Should we use it around all of the edges of the vehicle?

kustomkoncepts

Usually just in areas where you really are going to strech it or along the bottom ROCKER PANEL area of the car.

I use it on edges and over molds. some people don't use it at all but it is a little insurance policy in my book because it is a less tacky vinyl.

But with those other more aggressive vinyls I found it would grab too soon in areas and then I ended up streching with heat a lot more and made it worst those spots poped out after a week. I will use a little P94 and use a less aggressive material and I found it works for me.

No one out here used both V2 and V3 before??

I guess I will just have to get a V3 roll and be the first.

what lam are you using?

ncpdfsb

we have used both. i believe its just an upgraded adhesive.
for those who are going to take the leap you wont be disappointed and you will not find that aggressive air egress 3m is commonly known for.
when ij180 version one was released it had the standard 3m cross thatch air egress. version 3 has a very fine air egress and only in one direction. prints very well.

Usually just in areas where you really are going to strech it or along the bottom ROCKER PANEL area of the car.

I use it on edges and over molds. some people don't use it at all but it is a little insurance policy in my book because it is a less tacky vinyl.

But with those other more aggressive vinyls I found it would grab too soon in areas and then I ended up streching with heat a lot more and made it worst those spots poped out after a week. I will use a little P94 and use a less aggressive material and I found it works for me.

No one out here used both V2 and V3 before??

I guess I will just have to get a V3 roll and be the first.

what lam are you using?

cptcorn

adad
we have used both. i believe its just an upgraded adhesive.
for those who are going to take the leap you wont be disappointed and you will not find that aggressive air egress 3m is commonly known for.
when ij180 version one was released it had the standard 3m cross thatch air egress. version 3 has a very fine air egress and only in one direction. prints very well.

That is wrong... V2 had the directional air egress.

V3 is much like V1, just really really really tiny crosshatches... awesome material. Smoother finish than V2.

kustomkoncepts

I was torn on my impression of my first roll of V2 because of the small directional lines. I got a few places that I wanted to push up and the lines where running horizontal. it did a funny thing and left a lot of small bubbles that I had to pop. V2 to me has already a pretty smoth finish. I can see the snake skin looking egress in Oracal and arlon more than the lines in V2.

So V3 went back to a cross hatch (horizontal and verticle egress) but just finer lines tha the V2?

I also was told By (SUPPLIER) that the V3 egress in manufactured into the glue instead of the origional Control Tac they said was more in the vinyl that is why you saw the egress so bad on the origional.

I am going to have to try the V3 next time I get a wrap.

Thanks

ncpdfsb

i have double checked and the ij180 version three (3) does NOT have the cross thatched egress. has a fine one directional line pattern. when i peel back the vinyl and run my finger nail across the backing paper it seems its in one direction.

ChiknNutz

No kidding? Not that it matters much now, but I talked with 3M before the v3 came out as I was expressing some displeasure with the uni-directional aspect of the v2 material. She said that is one main reason for the v3 material as it would have bi-directional air-egress paths....so it was more like v1, but not as noticeable after installation. I've never seen the v3 product, so I don't know, that was just what I was told and understood this latest rendition to be.

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
I've only used the 180c Comply v1 and v2 and they both have air egress channels running both ways making a grid pattern. V2 is much smaller so it's not noticable. I haven't tried v3 but from what I understand it has the same comply liner as v2 but is a softer more pliable material for deep channels and tough compound curves.

ChiknNutz

I only used a sample roll of the v2 and it appeared to only have channels running in one direction. I intentionally introduced some bubbles so that I could see how it reacted, and it was my impression that the channels were indeed only in one direction.

kustomkoncepts

Wow what a confusion on this subject.

I for one Swear obviously V1 is a noticable grid pattern, but V2 is in one direction ONLY very small lines.(mike you say V2 is a grid Huh??)

I can't speak for V3 but I don't know what to belive anymore. I am going to get some V3 and be my own judge.