• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3m 8518

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
We just went thru nearly 4 rolls of both...ij 180 cv3 and 8518...our rolls matched up lengthwise to each other. Bought from Grimco.

FatCat

Sally at 3M has helped me out on this. She has been a gem!

OK, so did they confirm a problem or change in the amount of material we've all been getting? How long has this been going on?

*FWIW - I think I've only used 6-8 rolls of 8518 this year (Probably what you go through in a week) but still, sucks to pay for something you're not getting....
All my 8518 is ordered from Fellers so they would have record of it.

Do you mind sharing what the solution was?
(PM me if you prefer not to post any of this openly.)

HulkSmash

OK, so did they confirm a problem or change in the amount of material we've all been getting? How long has this been going on?

*FWIW - I think I've only used 6-8 rolls of 8518 this year (Probably what you go through in a week) but still, sucks to pay for something you're not getting....
All my 8518 is ordered from Fellers so they would have record of it.

Do you mind sharing what the solution was?
(PM me if you prefer not to post any of this openly.)

She didn't really give a reason. Just a "It may be because..." type of thing.
I use more 6-8 rolls a month, it adds up....

10sacer

Has the stated length of each roll changed to the shorter dimension? I mean instead of 150 are they now stating 120 - or whatever it is?

Patentagosse

If you look at Oracal 290 overlaminate, it states it's 50yds. If you put a roll of 290G next to a 290F, it's exactly the same material but the liner is different (paper vs. polyester) so it's obvious that the F roll look smaller BUT IT HAS TO BE 50yds LONG, no matter what liner it's laid on. Period. If 3M is trying to pull a fast one on his devoted customers, someone has to stop this right now 'cause they are making a ton of easy money on your back.

Last week I printed a full roll of Oracal 3165 and covered it with Oracal 210G and 'had 3 xtra feet of lam. That's what I call a close race. Getting short by over 10-15 ft of material would ring a bell...

ProWraps

It's ok to do this, and increase their prices by what? 6% a few months ago. It's not a mistake it's happened too many times.

6%? i wish.

look at their reflective. a 48"x15' roll from fellers went from $245 to $325!!!!!! try more like 30%.

im really really really starting to wonder about 3M. especially since all the crap that comes burried in the vinyl and ruins prints.

they want to price themselves as the king, but their materials are becoming ****.

mudmedia

Id love an alternative other then 3m 180cv3...BUT i dont like avery and never tried oracal..Maybe others can post that have stepped away from 3m and been happy?

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Try Mactac 929 or similar if you want. It works well...prints nicely. Not as aggressive an adhesive on it. Im not sure how it installs as I dont install the graphics we print.

HulkSmash

6%? i wish.

look at their reflective. a 48"x15' roll from fellers went from $245 to $325!!!!!! try more like 30%.

im really really really starting to wonder about 3M. especially since all the crap that comes burried in the vinyl and ruins prints.

they want to price themselves as the king, but their materials are becoming ****.

Jesus, I barely order Reflective anymore. I hate working with it. You're right, the quality has dropped, and we are not happy about the reappearing situation of my lam being short. If it happens again....****s going to hit the fan.

mudmedia

Jesus, I barely order Reflective anymore. I hate working with it. You're right, the quality has dropped, and we are not happy about the reappearing situation of my lam being short. If it happens again....****s going to hit the fan.

Oracal? Avery? Wouldnt mind saving a few bucks and getting good results