• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3m 8518

cdiesel

Everybody who has a scale, weigh your rolls and post the results. Let's see where everyone is. Be sure to state what lam you're weighing, whether 8518, 8519, 8520, 8915, etc..

MikePro

was about to buy a few rolls, but now I might just give Arlon more of my business. maybe 1-2 now instead of 3-0, just in case i need some 3M around to match existing projects. will post my findings next week.

signage

Everybody who has a scale, weigh your rolls and post the results. Let's see where everyone is. Be sure to state what lam you're weighing, whether 8518, 8519, 8520, 8915, etc..

Chris weighing may give you some idea, but it would be best to mark down how much is used each time and totaling these to see how much was on each roll. They sell by length not weight.

Typestries

Well, I can see the argument that a thinner backing stock reduces the diameter of the roll out of the box. But, when running a 10 roll run of 10' panels, and across a few rolls of lam, there are 2, 3 or more printed panels left, and no lam left, then yeah, the rolls are short for sure.

And I agree, for a $500+ roll of product, a better core is in order. The thin ones suck and always tear up on the laminators.

WYLDGFI

Merchant Member
Grimco said to me they were pursuing this one quickly and pushing it up the chain of command. My guy at the PA branch now....used to be proveer....is really concerned about this. I think 3M has some answers to give for sure not just to us, the end user but everyone else in the supply chain.

thewood

they still use freaking ultra insane permanent bonding tape to attach it to the tube. :frustrated: Thats always a joy when you are pushing a job darn close the the end of the roll and forget to be paying attention when it's nearing the end..... of course no printer is capable to severing that insane bond.

I can barely sever that bond with my hands--that is one of my major gripes with 3M print media. I had a large job that I wanted to run overnight last night, but I could only print half because I was afraid of running too close to the end of the roll. :frustrated:

cptcorn

adad
Here are 2 out of the box rolls. 8518 48" and 50" x50y.

Something has definitely changed. Until someone unravels and entire roll and measures it, I doubt 3M is trying to pull a fast one on anyone. I'm sure they just developed a new liner for the material. It definitely feels different. I don't have a micrometer near me to check.

Attachments

• 54INCH.jpg
    54INCH.jpg
    70.7 KB · Views: 65
  • 48INCH.jpg
    48INCH.jpg
    68 KB · Views: 79

tyzero

I checked old vs new.
Old carrier is .003" or 3 thousandths of an inch.
New carrier is .001 or 1 thousandths of an inch.

If they can reduce cost that way then pass the savings on to us the graphic companies instead of raising prices each year!

c_mcclurg

8518 Short Roll

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We apologize for this to anyone who received short rolls. Our specification always has been and still is 50 yards. If you have any short rolls, please file a complaint with your 3M Distributor or 3M Sales Representative and we will take immediate action to remedy this. Several months ago we announced to our distributors that we were going from a 3.8 mil to 2.4 mil liner on overlaminates 8518 and 8528 for reduced waste and weight but that did not affect the length of the rolls. We hope this helps and sorry again for any mistakes we made in manufacturing on some rolls.

Chris McClurg
3M Company

HulkSmash

Thank you for bringing this to our attention. We apologize for this to anyone who received short rolls. Our specification always has been and still is 50 yards. If you have any short rolls, please file a complaint with your 3M Distributor or 3M Sales Representative and we will take immediate action to remedy this. Several months ago we announced to our distributors that we were going from a 3.8 mil to 2.4 mil liner on overlaminates 8518 and 8528 for reduced waste and weight but that did not affect the length of the rolls. We hope this helps and sorry again for any mistakes we made in manufacturing on some rolls.

Chris McClurg
3M Company

I can care less what you changed your liner to. Yet ANOTHER short roll of lam.
Attached is a picture of how much vinyl i have left over after perfectly matching up a roll of 8518 with it. I have a good 50-60 feet on here, but guess what, the lam is all gone. Not to mention there are numerous times where i cancel prints because something is wrong with it. Maybe it wouldn't matter so much if you guys weren't charging me full price for a roll.

HulkSmash

oh yeah here's the picture of how much vinyl i had left over lam.

Attachments

• 553581_570960774641_1789690088_n.jpg
    553581_570960774641_1789690088_n.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 63

mudmedia

oh yeah here's the picture of how much vinyl i had left over lam.

YIKES! I can see a little bit of vinyl left over if you use backing paper on your laminator cause you waiste sometimes a foot or two but THAT IS A LOT OF VINYL LEFT OVER! Hopefully they treat you right and fix this issue

HulkSmash

YIKES! I can see a little bit of vinyl left over if you use backing paper on your laminator cause you waiste sometimes a foot or two but THAT IS A LOT OF VINYL LEFT OVER! Hopefully they treat you right and fix this issue

It's ok to do this, and increase their prices by what? 6% a few months ago. It's not a mistake it's happened too many times.

strypguy

I have about exactly the same amount left as well. I'm thinking about going back to oracal 290 lam. Especially since they told me it's not recommended to pre mask the 8518. Sounds silly and is not going to work for my uses which are mostly print/cut designs and not wraps.

John

mudmedia

So what do you plan on doing? The material is great but is it worth the poor service? Avery? Oracal? Anything compare?