• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M has a new non-PVC vinyl

signswi

So far just a cast version for vehicle wraps is out but hopefully they expand to a full line. I'd love to use non-PVC, phthalate free mediums for all of our interior jobs (especially schools...).

I also hope Oracal sees this and gets in the game, or is already working on something similar. There's been enough pressure in the market that BPA's finally came to consumer attention and are being eliminated from key industries (though still many to go...), it's time the vinyl graphics industry woke up to the dangers phthalates pose.

3Mgraphics.com/EnvisionWrap

Thoughts?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
Vinyl free vinyl. Hmmm.... Well plastics and other stuff with bpa and what the heck ever it's called have been around my entire life. Aint killed me yet. Must only be bad for you in California like so much other stuff. :smile:

Now if someone will just come up with a cordless extension cord, I'll be all over it.

HulkSmash

just watched their video. I wonder if they realize all wrap vinyls do that when heated... And Avery and oracal already has slidability? Good job on catching up.

mudmedia

ya it doesn't matter to me neither. Some of the features on the video do look good but anyone can make stuff look good in a video.

I switched over to 3751 and have not probably will never try to pull the whole back off a sheet and stick it on a panel on a box truck but that is just my install method.

jkdbjj

I think the idea of this new product not turning to spaghetti in the hot sun makes it unique, right?
It allows installation in hotter climates. It also works better in colder climates. Those are big claims IMO.
Sucks its 3M in light of the other crap going on.

Browner

So what's the big deal if its non PVC or not? It really makes no difference to me.

Just another thing to be "Certified" for:

http://www.sgppartnership.org/

With the "green" movement in full stride, I could see more and more big companies and government agencies asking for some form of green initiatives to be demonstrated by their vendors. I've seen a few RFQs already from our municipal level of government that grade applicants on their "greenness". With 3M on board now, I could see them trying to brainwash all sorts of organizations into thinking that it's their way or the highway, so to speak.

The following campaign has already begun:

The Sustainable Green Printing (SGP) Partnership launched a new industry outreach program, Take Action, to raise the awareness of the sustainability of print, and the awareness of printers who are certified as sustainable.

On this forum (and others) "certified" has become a very dirty word.

Just some food for thought.