• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M lam issue with BS

J

john1

Hey guys, I have received a sample roll of IJ35C and 8509 Luster Lam.

It prints fine now that i have the right profile but laminating with the BS has been a frustrating task for some reason. I can lam all day with the 210 lam but the 3M lam is getting tiny bubbles here and there which is ruining my prints.

I typically print, let it outgas for 12-24 hours and then laminate and let it sit overnight due to the silvering.

The silvering seems it takes longer to go away with this lam than the 210 and is giving me tiny bubbles.

Anyone have similar problems or is it just me?

petesign

I don't use the 8509 --- I switched to the calendared R-tape satin laminate and I do have some silvering, but it isn't bad enough to worry about.

On cast applications, I do use the 8518 and have no problems at all with it. That stuff feels like saran wrap, and just lays down perfectly.

J

john1

Well, Nevermind guys. I kicked the 3M lam's butt this evening! Reprinted my print, let it sit for a few hours this time and found out you don't have to pull the backer and swipe like on the thin backing of the 210. You can get it started, slide the BS along and it goes down perfectly.

Woot! It's the little things that count

grafixemporium

We use a lot of IJ35c here... and a ton of 210 gloss and matte on top of it. I bought one roll of 8509 and after one print, decided to use it to launch fireworks out of. The hue of the laminate is piss yellow. It's the worst looking stuff I've ever seen. We've had zero problems with 210 on ij35c... if it ain't broke, don't fix it.

J

john1

laminators are for laminating. big squeeges are for... well mine made a nice door stop.

Yeah but you do understand not everyone is at the point your company is right? The BS works for those that aren't doing super long runs or those who don't have room for a laminator. I'm not trying to start a argument but just saying the facts.

I have it down pat now so what's the difference really? The lam doesn't have a yellow tint to it from what i see, I have 2 sample rolls of it and there was little to no silvering when i applied it the new way with the thicker backing :thumb:

laminators are for laminating. big squeeges are for... well mine made a nice door stop.

I have to disagree with that statement. I love my BS's for laminating small stuff and for mounting smaller runs. I find it to be much faster than using a laminator when it comes to some things.
However...
In your defense, I have to agree as far as wraps are concerned. A BS is pretty much useless when it comes to wraps.