• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3M Partial Wrap Via Mopar!

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
It's ok I just ordered 10 rolls of Avery Ez apply w/ Lam.

Let's hope you never have a problem with that cause we all know what kind of support you can expect there. And, of course, never mind that Avery sells all those make-your-own-sign-and-save products one sees at Office Depot.

HulkSmash

Let's hope you never have a problem with that cause we all know what kind of support you can expect there. And, of course, never mind that Avery sells all those make-your-own-sign-and-save products one sees at Office Depot.

Actually their support has been far superior. They've managed to send me all the profiles I've needed in a couple days, and i'm still waiting to hear back from 3M since November? I actually sent a sample of some issues i was having to their lab back in Dec. that they requested me to send. Called back a few weeks ago, and to their knowledge i never called them or had any issues with their product. The trouble ticket they issued me didn't exist. 3M's support is terrible.

We've all had issues with Avery in the past, but their new stuff is really looking good.

Last edited:

ProWraps

anyone that think 3M's warranty support will blow anyone elses out of the water, seriously needs a reality check.

the warranties are written to protect them. not you.

natedawg9640

3m offering that through dealerships doesn't bother me. when the grease monkeys at the dealership screw up the guys wrap... he'll end up bringing it to me to install the second time. i'd make more money on hourly labor than i would on the vinyl if he bought it from the dealership, or, he'll soon discover that's a rip-off.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
Actually their support has been far superior. They've managed to send me all the profiles I've needed in a couple days, and i'm still waiting to hear back from 3M since November? I actually sent a sample of some issues i was having to their lab back in Dec. that they requested me to send. Called back a few weeks ago, and to their knowledge i never called them or had any issues with their product. The trouble ticket they issued me didn't exist.

We've all had issues with Avery in the past, but their new stuff is really looking good.

anyone that think 3M's warranty support will blow anyone elses out of the water, seriously needs a reality check.

the warranties are written to protect them. not you.

So to be clear ... the Avery fiasco of 2004 - 2006 with the lying, stonewalling, material failures, lost money, soiled customer reputations and lost future business is all good now. We'll just forgive, forget and pretend that Avery didn't screw their customers to the hilt by denying there was a problem and continuing to distribute inventory they knew was bad.

I don't concern myself with warranties so much as my overall experience with a product line and the manufacturer of it. The one serious product failure I had with 3M since 1983 was resolved within days of our becoming aware of it. A rep was on the scene the day after we reported it and about 24 rolls of 48" x 50 yards of 225 Scotchcal was replaced expeditiously. Satisfactory reparations and apologies were also forthcoming without hesitation.

By contrast, a good friend in the business had a major failure of Avery vinyls covering the lettering and graphics on 40 vans for one client alone. Avery stonewalled him for about six months and claimed he must not have installed correctly. When they finally agreed to do something, it amounted to replacing only their films leaving my friend to pay for the other brand of film overlaid on the Avery. It took him three months of working nights and weekends (so as not to inconvenience the client) to get the mess straightened out.

I can understand dropping or reducing 3M films over their business decisions. I just can't understand choosing Avery to replace them when they failed so horribly at so basic a thing as standing behind the quality of their product at the major expense of their customers. It was a total breach of trust, greed and irresponsibility and should never be forgotten nor forgiven.

HulkSmash

3m offering that through dealerships doesn't bother me. when the grease monkeys at the dealership screw up the guys wrap... he'll end up bringing it to me to install the second time. i'd make more money on hourly labor than i would on the vinyl if he bought it from the dealership, or, he'll soon discover that's a rip-off.

Nate you should know what you're talking about before you say silly things. Dealerships don't do the installs....:banghead:

HulkSmash

I can understand dropping or reducing 3M films over their business decisions. I just can't understand choosing Avery to replace them when they failed so horribly at so basic a thing as standing behind the quality of their product at the major expense of their customers. It was a total breach of trust, greed and irresponsibility and should never be forgotten nor forgiven.

I never got caught up in the whole Avery issues a few years ago. I've been using oracle and still a bit of 3M. But just recently we got into using Avery, and my installers LOVE it. Also many professional installers around the globe prefer the new Avery wrap material.

And i see the issue that you have had with Avery in the past, but they have given me pretty damn good service so far, and i really hope those issues dont pop up again.

Fred Weiss

Merchant Member
I never got caught up in the whole Avery issues a few years ago. I've been using oracle and still a bit of 3M. But just recently we got into using Avery, and my installers LOVE it. Also many professional installers around the globe prefer the new Avery wrap material.

And i see the issue that you have had with Avery in the past, but they have given me pretty damn good service so far, and i really hope those issues dont pop up again.

I think you're only talking about one of the issues. There are two issues. There was the material failure and there was how they dealt with it. Anyone's materials can fail and some of that is to be expected. Avery's actions in dealing with it were reprehensible and there is no reason to believe they will be any different in the future. But when a failure issue "pops up" again, you can count on them denying it and blaming you.

HulkSmash

I think you're only talking about one of the issues. There are two issues. There was the material failure and there was how they dealt with it. Anyone's materials can fail and some of that is to be expected. Avery's actions in dealing with it were reprehensible and there is no reason to believe they will be any different in the future. But when a failure issue "pops up" again, you can count on them denying it and blaming you.

thanks for the heads up. Hopefully they fixed all the issues they did have with it.

Craig Sjoquist

To clarify my very poor English .. Yup very poor lets say 4 grade level oh well am I going to change most likely not I'm 61 soon, not rich, lucky to have work, so paying for a better education on English is a low priority....ignore me is all I can say.

Just to clarify my bashing of digital.. It's because hand lettering and paint has been bashed badly since 1985 and still is when digital in real is no better. So just a personal fun thing.

Also certainly wish I had the cash to invest in digital, now it would be a better PC and software plus cutter. I'm not against digital just like bashing when you cry babies complain about a free enterprise effort ( 3M ) even better since my step dad was the 3M printing VP, or some digital failure such as it faded in 2 years or fell off. lol

I do not get the point of 3M partnering up with qualified companies selling there product,
this is America that's smart business, that's raising the bar in the industry their way, if they produce a quality product that's proving it.

As far as my hand lettering ability's nope not the best that's for sure or creative designer, I'll just say better then average, I did go to school for sign painting and advertising design, but since I ran out cash unable to get even more education which I really wanted... Oh the hand lettering and sign advertising designers basher's ..DID YOU or did you have the cash and went to it.

So I just do the best I can, and do not bash people for who they are ( pro Wraps, a few others ) no offence ya do nice work also.

Locals Find!

Nate you should know what you're talking about before you say silly things. Dealerships don't do the installs....:banghead:

Did you read the fine print on the website?? Dealers are doing the installs.

How do I get them installed? All Mopar Custom Graphics will be installed right at your local Chrysler, Dodge, Jeep or Ram dealership. It’s there that you will receive installation by trained professionals.

Taken right from the website. I don't know how that translates out to the end users putting them on. No where does it say self installation.

Also, I don't see the big deal with 3M selling Mopar the product. Its not like these are custom wrap jobs. They are offering pre-designed pieces of matte vinyl cut for their cars big deal. This is not that much different then the pre-designed back window perfs you get at any pep boys. Sorry, don't see this being that big of a game changer. These aren't commercial accounts that they are going after. Its aftermarket accessories.

Custom_Grafx

I don't know what the deal is here, but I've been getting dud rolls of 3M the last couple months. Old, bad stock. I don't blame 3M because I think there is no manufacturing defect. The defect is in storage and distributorship.

If there is such a job at 3M that monitors stock quality and distributorship standards - whoever has it should be taught how to do their job.

I have raised my concerns with whoever needs to be notified - but my initial impressions are apathetic.

Not too happy with 3m right now.

Locals Find!

It's not like anyone expects you to see it, so it's ok.

Then explain to me Colorado how you or any other shop is losing money because of this. I really don't think anyone is losing anything. These are aftermarket parts that 90% of the sign shops in the country don't mess with.

Honestly, unless your making stock aftermarket pieces of vinyl for every guy that buys a new car to decorate the hood, the trunk or the roof. Its not affecting you. This is such a small segment of the industry.

Yet, you guys are here complaining about your supplier selling to your competition. When dealerships have a service department you don't hear about the Mechanic down the street boycotting NAPA now do you? Whats next you going to boycott Avery because they sold to the New shop opening up down the street??

Kentucky Wraps

Kentucky Wraps
I don't know what the deal is here, but I've been getting dud rolls of 3M the last couple months. Old, bad stock. I don't blame 3M because I think there is no manufacturing defect. The defect is in storage and distributorship.

If there is such a job at 3M that monitors stock quality and distributorship standards - whoever has it should be taught how to do their job.

I have raised my concerns with whoever needs to be notified - but my initial impressions are apathetic.

Not too happy with 3m right now.

Wouldn't be getting old stock if you ordered from Fellers, because they "sell more wrap vinyl than anyone else so thier vinyl is fresher. While other suppliers might order 2 or 3 times a year, they order every month...." LOL

I've never had a 3M failure yet. I have tried the other wrap vinyls and the ONLY one that is as easy to install is Avery. Even Arlons new less aggressive adhesive is too aggressive...just like Orajet. Don't use MacTac due to the reliance on heavier post heating compared to the rest. BUT...for the price, i'm not switching to Avery at this time because it's not much savings and I've yet to have any problem with 3M.