• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

3yr old vinyl

skyhigh

Long story short....

I have a roll of 3m reflective that has about 15 yards left. Yeah, maybe I should have pitched it, but its been sitting here for all this time.

Today I get an order that will require 3 yards of this reflective blue, and its a rush. I grab the roll and it cuts ok....seems ok....weeds ok. But now I'm leary about slapping it on the panel.

What's your thoughts? I've heard 1 year shelf life......should I pitch the stuff or would you use it?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We've always stayed rather current with our inventory. Nothing, other than oddball colors, stayed on the shelf for more than a month or two. Reflectives, the same thing. However, as we got more and more into digital printed vinyl, it started slowing down. We'd have some colors around almost a year. Still, no fret in using them. However, since we got our flatbed two years ago.... our die-cut vinyl is almost nil. We just used some red reflective a few weeks back that must've been 3 or so years old. No problem.... yet. It seemed too work just fine in all respects. I doubt we'll have a problem. It was old 3M. Time will tell.

Only you can decide if you want to take a chance or not. Since it's only 3 yards, would it be hard to replace the signs..... should something go wrong ??

ddarlak

Go Bills!
use it, remind the customer that you offer a X year guarantee and let it fly.

worst case senerio it fails and you have to fix it. as long as they know you guarantee your work, i'm not sure they'll be to worked up about a failure a few years down the road.

skyhigh

Hah, moot point.....
I just got off the phone with 3m. They said their 680 series reflective has a 3 year shelf life.

Guess I'm good.

signage

You with such a big sign shop asking this type of question!

:Oops: sorry for posting a picture of your shop:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Attachments

• skyhigh shop.jpg
    skyhigh shop.jpg
    226.5 KB · Views: 61

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
Hah, moot point.....
I just got off the phone with 3m. They said their 680 series reflective has a 3 year shelf life.

Guess I'm good.

I never give much credence to a manufacturer's declaration of shelf life on non-perishable goods. This is most certainly a self-serving declaration designed more for selling the product than predicting any actual deterioration.

I have various oddball rolls of vinyl that's been hanging around for up to 10 years, If it cuts, weeds, and stays put when applied, there's nothing wrong with it.

I use some of the ancient stuff from time to time and have never had a problem with it.

petepaz

I never give much credence to a manufacturer's declaration of shelf life on non-perishable goods. This is most certainly a self-serving declaration designed more for selling the product than predicting any actual deterioration.

I have various oddball rolls of vinyl that's been hanging around for up to 10 years, If it cuts, weeds, and stays put when applied, there's nothing wrong with it.

I use some of the ancient stuff from time to time and have never had a problem with it.

+1
this kind of goes with that other thread of scrap materials. if you are keeping scaps on the side for future use, do you throw them out when the manufacturer's warranty runs out?

Gino

Premium Subscriber
gino don't forget the gold from 1902 that you are still using (or selling to the guy that was at the meet n greet)...haha

That reminds me. I completely forgot about that guy and I even gilded a sign since then. Didn't dawn on me at all.
I'm gonna call him. If I even get 1/2 value, it's about $10,000. :omg2: Thinka how much pool I could shoot for that amount and totally beat your butt next time ??

Nah...... Ill just sit at the bar and let you beat me again. Hosts have to be polite........... :wink:

skyhigh

:goodpost:

sorry for posting a picture of your shop:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

I'm not as offended for the shop pic...its the POS truck you overlaid in the picture :covereyes: . As for the "shop", you should have seen me getting my cnc inside. It was quite the feat. :rolleyes:

petepaz

That reminds me. I completely forgot about that guy and I even gilded a sign since then. Didn't dawn on me at all.
I'm gonna call him. If I even get 1/2 value, it's about $10,000. :omg2: Thinka how much pool I could shoot for that amount and totally beat your butt next time ??
Nah...... Ill just sit at the bar and let you beat me again. Hosts have to be polite........... :wink:
we can just call a draw and both sit at the bar and drink..:toasting: