• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

4 cars to wrap matte black vinyl

mitsfreak12

I read somewhere a few minutes ago about someone suggesting that painting would be cheaper. How about matte vinyl? I"ve been asked if my team can wrap just matte black vinyl for 4 -2010 Camaros.

And what would be the best black matte vinyl material and the usual cost for it?

thanks

luggnut

flack black painted on a vehicle can be hard... some use just base with no clear ... but it is not real durable, HOK has a flat clearcoat system but it sounds fairly complicated. there is a new brand called hot rod flatz ( i think) that sounds easier to use.

klemgraphics

Flat black paint isn't really all that hard if you use the right stuff for the job. 2 steps...black base, then a flat clear. All good paint companies should have this available. Easier yet...take a car that is black already, hit it with a scotch brite and scuff gel, then strait to your flat clear. With what we use you can mix the flat clear with the normal clear to get just the sheen that you want. It goes on slick and then dries dull.

klemgraphics

I dont believe they are looking for "Flat" its a satin clear that they are trying to achieve.

That's why you mix it with the normal clear, you can achieve anything from gloss to flat depending on the mix ratio. we normally mix it to like an eggshell finish. We use Martin Senour(same as Sherwin Williams).

BRUSHMARKS

I just painted my 06 forester flat black i used SEM Trim Black. its in a gallon you reduce it and spray, very easy to laydown. i am buy no means a auto body guy and i did it my self turned out great IMO.

Here is my camaro it was painted Urban Green (04 z4 bmw)
We added a flattern to the paint.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• 11821787244.jpg
    11821787244.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 338
  • 1182178724.jpg
    1182178724.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 224
  • n49006160_30672529_8877.jpg
    n49006160_30672529_8877.jpg
    61.1 KB · Views: 359

GypsyGraphics

Thanks guys. I will see how much that ORACLE 970 cost first.

I just paid $577 for the Oracal 970 RA, matte black (60"x25 yards).

You might also want to consider Hexis HX20000 flat black with air release. The Hexis is a truer flat black and absolutely beautiful, more so than the Oracal. I purchased the Hexis for $330 (54"x33 yards), but the finish wasn't protected enough for what needed. Hexis does have a really nice matte laminate that might just to the trick.

HeavyHitter

for a newer car I would say wrapping it would be the better way to go. To correctly paint the cart paint would cost more. When I say correctly I mean removing tail lights, mirrors, door trim, window trim, and so on. From the sounds of the project it seems they would not want the cars to be flat forever. Seems to be more of a trendy thing. Don't get me wrong. I think it looks bad a$$ on the right car. Going flat or satin requires a lot of TLC.. if the paint is not taken care of it will look like crap fast. If you rub on it too much it will make a little shiny spot. It all comes down to what the end user is looking for.

This is an older car, but it looks tough flat. I got the pics from a Camaro forum

Dan

Attachments

• fltblk1.jpg
    fltblk1.jpg
    49 KB · Views: 469
  • fltblk2.jpg
    fltblk2.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 872

Biker Scout

What if you took Regular Cast Black Vinyl, and laminated it with Matte? Might be way cheaper than Matte Black Vinyl, plus extra scuff protection.

speedmedia

for a newer car I would say wrapping it would be the better way to go. To correctly paint the cart paint would cost more. When I say correctly I mean removing tail lights, mirrors, door trim, window trim, and so on. From the sounds of the project it seems they would not want the cars to be flat forever. Seems to be more of a trendy thing. Don't get me wrong. I think it looks bad a$$ on the right car. Going flat or satin requires a lot of TLC.. if the paint is not taken care of it will look like crap fast. If you rub on it too much it will make a little shiny spot. It all comes down to what the end user is looking for.

This is an older car, but it looks tough flat. I got the pics from a Camaro forum

Dan

That car is BA. I would even drive it if Frank wrapped it in snakeskin...

Thanks,
Kurt

mitsfreak12

So, I've got initial designs for these matte black vinyl from my client. Set aside the Camaros first he said, he wants to do his fleet first. Still covering 4 vehicles 2 cars and 2 SUV's. It's for his company. On top of the matte vinyl he wants to put magnetic signs (thats easy). For for of these, any of you have an idea the selling cost would be? I'm thinking $20k at least to cover labour, material and a bit of markup as I think it'll take 4 guys to do this as per their turn around request for 4 days?