• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

4 color screen printing - is it worth it to get into??

Chasez

So I've got a chance to purchase a small 4 color screen printing kit and since I've never really dealt with screen prints before (only digital) so I'm wondering everyone's view on if it's worth getting into (side projects). It comes with everything in the photo (4 wooden screens, flash dryer, squeegees, assorted inks and cleaning supplies plus a couple mannequins [not shown]). The whole thing has been offered for $350. Again this wouldn't be a full time gig, just something I would offer on the side.

Would it be something that would be worth the time to start offering? Are screens easy to make? Do you have to purchase new screens every time that you want to make something new? Are there limitations on what you can print onto?

Any and all input are welcomed!

Chaz

Stormyj

Just another guy
If it was me, no. Screen printing takes up so much room and is a major pain in the ***. Unless you were doing runs of more than a hundred shirts at a time, I would get them done through another company, upcharge, and make money doing something else at the same time. If you need small run jobs, consider a DTG printer.
This is my opinion only, Im sure others would disagree.

TXFB.INS

If it was me, no. Screen printing takes up so much room and is a major pain in the ***. Unless you were doing runs of more than a hundred shirts at a time, I would get them done through another company, upcharge, and make money doing something else at the same time. If you need small run jobs, consider a DTG printer.
This is my opinion only, Im sure others would disagree.

this X 1000

another option for short runs is heats transfer and dye sublimation.

regarding screen printing, below is a typical cost (plus garment) to get appeal done at contract pricing. there is no way I would be doing this in house knowing the room, equipment and mess that is required

PRINT COLORS
QUANTITY1234
24-470.750.951.151.35
48-710.670.871.071.22
72-1430.620.821.021.17

Billct2

If I was doing it as an "art project/hobby" sure...
if I wanted to make money at it, no way.

Drip Dry

My wife says... A BIG FAT NO

She says she refuses to go home every night covered in ink
And then you have to wash out screens
I've seen others doing it and I'm glad she forbid me

FireSprint.com

Trade Only Screen & Digital Sign Printing
This is probably the wrong forum to ask that question to. A garment printing forum would give you more positive feedback. Most traditional signguys are going to hate screen printing. It's just alot messier work. There is ink on everything!

Prices are also pretty low. You need to do alot of it and very efficiently to make a dime. Of course this is pretty much true for anything.

To answer a few of your questions:

Yes, you can reuse screens. The process is generally call reclaiming. The combination of chemicals you use that work with your screens, work conditions, inks, emulsions, environment, and water treatment plants is almost a trade secret and something you'll just have to jump in and try. In general though, you will need an ink degradant that will help clear the ink, then a stencil degradant that will help you recliam the screen (remove the emulsion stencil), then maybe a haze remover (Deeper clean) then a degreaser which is something like dish soap to remove the oily residue from the previous chemicals.

Good luck!

Chasez

Wow am I glad I asked these questions and didn't just jump at it. Think I'm going to pass on it! Seems like too much work for a occasional side job and not much for a payback.

Thanks all for your input!

Chaz

Gino

Premium Subscriber
If you had the room to set it up and just dabble with it, you could start out by making you and your staff shirts and jackets. Once you get a feel for it, you could offer your services and put your limits or quotas on it like everyone else who does it.

At that price, I don't see a down side to it. Who knows, where you are, you might make a killing. Those prices are certainly not gonna hurt you if you decide to abandon the idea later on. Just don't do it in your basement, it - will - smell.

reQ

I was just a sign guy before. 3 Years ago purchased full set up for screen printing. Did not like it to much from the start, simply because was on the learning curve. Have 0 problems now and like doing it. 90% of my screen printing is wholesale printing for big chain sports stores, so my screen printing set up is always busy. And yes, you have to do a lot to see decent money.

Cubesmith

Is a having only a flash dryer enough?

I'm curious myself as I've thought of getting a tshirt setup for side projects. I've been screen printing for almost 30 years but don't do shirts. If a flash dryer is enough to reach a full cure I'd consider getting one and some plastisol for my own projects.

Sorry for the hijack.

thanks
Chris

reQ

Flash is enough, if you don't need to print to many shirts, because if you have 100+ shirts to print, it will take forever to finish, so at the end of the day you would rather flip burgers in mcdonalds for more money lol