• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

4 month old Mimaki problems

gabagoo

I have a JV 150-130 and up until last week it was printing great. No changes, running the same profile but I start noticing in darker colours what can only be described as a smear. I have run nozzle washes and cleanings and on dark colours it keeps making this effect as you can see in the pic. Photos and lighter colours print fine. When I run a test print all nozzles are fine. I have a feeling it is Flexi causing this but not sure how or why or even how to rule it out over the printer except the test print looks fine which is not from Flexi.

Attachments

• IMG_2018.jpg
    IMG_2018.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 611

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
Check the bottom of the head for any inkcicles especially if you print a lot of banner. Usually that pattern means something is dragging from the head and smearing the ink.

TimToad

I have a JV 150-130 and up until last week it was printing great. No changes, running the same profile but I start noticing in darker colours what can only be described as a smear. I have run nozzle washes and cleanings and on dark colours it keeps making this effect as you can see in the pic. Photos and lighter colours print fine. When I run a test print all nozzles are fine. I have a feeling it is Flexi causing this but not sure how or why or even how to rule it out over the printer except the test print looks fine which is not from Flexi.

We had that happen after a couple good sized banner runs and some lint, fuzz had built up on the middle ear of the media jam detector.

gabagoo

I have looked but cant see anything..but what can I do on a head like this to try and clean it? Your not supposed to touch them.... Oh the horror. I now see in some older prints from last week where it was starting.

TimToad

The media jam detector is on the bottom right end of the printhead carriage. It has some give in it and hangs just low enough to pickup lint and fibers from banners and then it brushes against those white foam wipers right behind the damper, picks up a little ink and then it just builds up. We've owned ours since October and I've had to clean it three times already.

gabagoo

I found some lint buildup right at the back of the carriage hanging off a black piece of plastic....I was never instructed to even look there for debris. Going to run a test. test is perfect!!!!!!!!!!!

Thank you so much to all of you for your help. This site rocks!!!

Attachments

• IMG_2019.jpg
    IMG_2019.jpg
    50 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:

Dasdesignguy

Production Manager/Field Service Tech
Inkcicles, totally ste
Check the bottom of the head for any inkcicles especially if you print a lot of banner. Usually that pattern means something is dragging from the head and smearing the ink.

Inkcicles, I'm totally stealing that bro. Great way to describe to the principal that what's occuring is due to their operator not doing the bare minimum daily and weekly maintenance adequately.

MikePro

you can touch the head, as long as you realize how delicate it is.
the goal is still to not touch the head, but rather scrub the vertical sides of it as part of regular "de-icicling" maintenance :)

Humble PM

If I'm lucky, one day I'll be a Eudyptula minor
I wish I'd read this (and other examples of) advice years ago when we would get random cyan trails and ink drops from our old Canon 8300 - always in runs of horribly expensive canvas or cotton rag media. Dealer couldn't suggest solution, and we needed a fix fast, so started a lease on a newer machine. I'll bet it was an inkcicle.