• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

48" Tall Letter Installation on glass

Maryah

Hi, I am new to signage and still learning. My client wants to install three 48" Letters on a glass window which will be facing outside. My manufacturer does not guarantee that 3M VBH double sided tape will hold 1/2" thick letter whether i go with formed plastic or flat-cut metal letters. I wanted to see if there is anyone who can suggest a solution to it. Thanks.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
With enough tape, it will hold. Do your homework, talk to 3M, see what the shear weight capabilities are for the tape and how much you'll need for the specific weight of each letter.

It's going to absolutely suck for whoever has to remove it someday, but yes, tape will hold it.

2B

there is a MASSIVE weight difference between
* 1/2" flat cut metal
* 1/2" formed plastic

Who is taking responsibility in case something happens to the glass?

With enough adhesive, it will stick, as mentioned the removal is going to be a nightmare

Justine Bouman

If it’s being installed on a second surface I would not use tape - you’d see it through the window.
I would also be VERY concerned about expansion with heat. It might be worth looking into some optically clear plexi that you could apply to the front of of sandwich against the glass or alternatively depending on the type of ceiling you could mount/ hang in the window.

SignEST

Use tape to hold it until the clear silicone dries. Put a piece of white vinyl matching the general shape on the inside to hide the tape + silicone. Don't make them out of metal. Make sure your inside piece of vinyl is mirrored.

Maryah

I've only adhered smaller signs to glass with vhb, but can attest to the 'absolutely suck for whoever has to remove it some day' portion. We had a 10"x10" corian sign mounted with 2 rows of tape, that was only up for a year before they decided to move it. 2 hours of every chemical, puddy knife, guitar string, flat head screw driver and razorblade got thrown at it. I just new the glass was about to shatter right before it came off.

I would be a touch concerned mounting metal to glass at that size and outside. I'd be worried about thermal expansion busting the glass because the metal wouldn't give laterally.

You may look at 3m 467mp, but it would all concern me just the same. Why not just vinyl?
Thank you for your response. Its very helpful.

Maryah

Use tape to hold it until the clear silicone dries. Put a piece of white vinyl matching the general shape on the inside to hide the tape + silicone. Don't make them out of metal. Make sure your inside piece of vinyl is mirrored.
I am only supplying the signs, the client will arrange their own installer. I can recommend this to them and provide them with installation accessories. thank you.

Maryah

With enough tape, it will hold. Do your homework, talk to 3M, see what the shear weight capabilities are for the tape and how much you'll need for the specific weight of each letter.

It's going to absolutely suck for whoever has to remove it someday, but yes, tape will hold it.
thank you.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Ya know, these are all possibilities, but I doubt any of them have been used in anything near the situation you're describing. You said you were new at this stuff, so it would be to your advantage and the customer to walk away and come up with a better solution. Unless you can give a more clear example of what's happening here, this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

First thing about being in this business is to provide a product that will work and be absolute about it. You can't give them something and then say, well, the rest is up to you. By not installing it, I presume you don't have a clue how and don't have the proper insurance or equipment to do such. Re-think this person's needs and come up with a better remedy.

Maryah

Ya know, these are all possibilities, but I doubt any of them have been used in anything near the situation you're describing. You said you were new at this stuff, so it would be to your advantage and the customer to walk away and come up with a better solution. Unless you can give a more clear example of what's happening here, this sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

First thing about being in this business is to provide a product that will work and be absolute about it. You can't give them something and then say, well, the rest is up to you. By not installing it, I presume you don't have a clue how and don't have the proper insurance or equipment to do such. Re-think this person's needs and come up with a better remedy.
All these possibilities gave me options to discuss it with installers and my team. Client is not just going to accept anything unless they are fully satisfied and I am sure what we are offering them. I want to explore options myself before talking to my team. Appreciate your comment and concern.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
My immediate concern is for your situation, but more so...... for any others who down the road might read this and think you can put huge metal letters on glass with tape. Whether it be plastic, metal or PVC...... physical fasteners are the only methods which will pass codes anywhere in the USofA. That's what I meant about re-thinking this. Your approach and the rest of your team are trying to climb a tree that doesn't exist.

So, high high off the ground are these windows ??
What's the viewing distance gonna be ??
Is this in downtown chicago ??
Have you even thought of asking codes about this initial thought ??

Lotsa this stuff might work and be legal on interior windows, but not something overhanging a pavement.

Maryah

My immediate concern is for your situation, but more so...... for any others who down the road might read this and think you can put huge metal letters on glass with tape. Whether it be plastic, metal or PVC...... physical fasteners are the only methods which will pass codes anywhere in the USofA. That's what I meant about re-thinking this. Your approach and the rest of your team are trying to climb a tree that doesn't exist.

So, high high off the ground are these windows ??
What's the viewing distance gonna be ??
Is this in downtown chicago ??
Have you even thought of asking codes about this initial thought ??

Lotsa this stuff might work and be legal on interior windows, but not something overhanging a pavement.
agree with you.

Maryah

agree with you.
Its not for Chicago or even Illinois. all the concerns you have raised will be addressed by city at the time of permit issuance. My job is to share options and compliance team job is to see if its legal. I am sure you have shared your concerns here people who will come later will read it and definitely benefit from it like I did.

Wow. Some project when nobody knows what's going on from top all the way down.

I think what he was getting at is that it's better to figure out what you can and cannot do before you put the cart before the horse.