• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

64" Valuejet Impressions

zooter96

Hi, we just had our 64" Valuejet installed yesterday and I thought I'd offer my initial impressions along with some questions to experienced users.

First off, the print quality and speed are excellent. In quality print modes it is a little faster than our Mimaki JV3. Although I must say, compared to the tank like construction of our JV3, the Valuejet feels like a tin can.

I've run into a few annoyances which I was wondering how other users are dealing with:

1. No way to visually set the Y origin. It can only be set my entering a numeric value into the menu system!

2. No way to control media compensation from Onyx. This is extremely frustrating. For some reason Onyx does not offer a media comp parameter for the Valuejet. The only solution is to track all your media types in the printer, which is archaic.

3. The leading edge of the media is not registered -unlike every other printer I have used.

4. The lack of a lever on the back of the machine to clamp/unclamp the media is major convenience oversight.

Fortunately, no gripes with the output so far...

Thx.
Jason

ChiknNutz

Thanks, nice to hear a real-wrld comparison such as this. Keep us updated as you use it more. Although not total show-stoppers, those are some annoying items to have not included in the machine. However, my Roland does not have a lever in the rear either, but does have the other features you mentioned.

Derf

I have to agree my VJ feels like a plastic desktop printer compared to my Falcon.. However I does a way better and faster job.

Conor Knoxx

well, my Mutoh Valuejet - (48 inch) got delivered today (almost a week late - which is kind of a rocky start in a relationship with a company that is new to me) with the tech guys coming tomorrow morning for setup etc.

Since I've never had one before, I've got nothing to compare it to (I'm leaning heavily on the old "ignorance is bliss" theory, lol ) but I'll add comments here too, from a new-user's point of view.

randya

Hi, we just had our 64" Valuejet installed yesterday and I thought I'd offer my initial impressions along with some questions to experienced users.

First off, the print quality and speed are excellent. In quality print modes it is a little faster than our Mimaki JV3. Although I must say, compared to the tank like construction of our JV3, the Valuejet feels like a tin can.

I've run into a few annoyances which I was wondering how other users are dealing with:

1. No way to visually set the Y origin. It can only be set my entering a numeric value into the menu system!

2. No way to control media compensation from Onyx. This is extremely frustrating. For some reason Onyx does not offer a media comp parameter for the Valuejet. The only solution is to track all your media types in the printer, which is archaic.

3. The leading edge of the media is not registered -unlike every other printer I have used.

4. The lack of a lever on the back of the machine to clamp/unclamp the media is major convenience oversight.

Fortunately, no gripes with the output so far...

Thx.
Jason

You should pick up extra speed in Graphics 2 mode, this is 720x720 8 pass, higher carriage speed.

The speed breakdown is here:
http://www.mutoh.com/products/ValueJet/1204_Print_Speeds.html

1. I think this has always been the case with Mutoh?
2. Don't blame Onyx, that command is not available from the printer. The media compensation has been replaced by a media calibration requiring printing and measuring a distance, which seems to be spot on. You still can do real time media comp during printing.
3. You can set it to look at width or width and leading edge

zooter96

2. Don't blame Onyx, that command is not available from the printer. The media compensation has been replaced by a media calibration requiring printing and measuring a distance, which seems to be spot on. You still can do real time media comp during printing.

Actually, the command is available in the printer. There is an additional calibratrion for the media comp that prints a number of colour patterns rangeing from overlapping to underlapping, and you select the best looking pattern. Onyx has informed me that the parameter will be software selectable in a future patch.

Thanks to Compilla for the tip on recognizing the leading edge of the media.

Does anyone understand the technical differences within the Wave sub modes (eg. Wave 1 - Wave 4). I emailed Mutoh and they responded that this is proprietary information! The documentation says to try modes 2-4 on 'difficult media' or when white lines are seen between wave steps - not exactly helpful in determining what changes are taking place between the modes.

Jason

randya

Actually, the command is available in the printer. There is an additional calibratrion for the media comp that prints a number of colour patterns rangeing from overlapping to underlapping, and you select the best looking pattern. Onyx has informed me that the parameter will be software selectable in a future patch.

Thanks to Compilla for the tip on recognizing the leading edge of the media.

Does anyone understand the technical differences within the Wave sub modes (eg. Wave 1 - Wave 4). I emailed Mutoh and they responded that this is proprietary information! The documentation says to try modes 2-4 on 'difficult media' or when white lines are seen between wave steps - not exactly helpful in determining what changes are taking place between the modes.

Jason

Not to argue, but I just read through the latest PM (Print Manager) commands on the ValueJet and the media feed compensation is not listed so there is no command available for the RIP to use at this time.

The closest thing is media select, so you would calibrate up to 30 media "presets' and then call them up from the RIP in media select.

The 'Micro Adjust" you mention is great for tweaking if you are already close in your PF adjust, but if you are way off it can take a lot of effort and media to dial it in. You will want to do the PF adjust first.

The PF adjust procedure is in the manual and here:
http://www.mutoh.com/kb/entry/27/

What is it that you want to know about the different waves?

If you print out a dark band with the different waves and stop the printer before it completes you can see what the different waves print.