• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

8k sticker order. I have questions

wrkalot

We are a screen print shop that added a Mimaki CJV150-130 about 1 year ago. Our sticker orders to date have been mostly small runs of 100-300 pcs. This one is 8k x 4" round and I am wondering how I can do this in the most efficient way. It's my understanding that if I print much more than 4-5 feet we could have reg issues when it comes back to cut. I'm wondering if I could print the roll in 4-5 ft chunks at a time and come back and cut each section one at a time. Or maybe Rasterlink has an option to repeat a job over and over? Or my best option is just print/cut 100 pcs at a time?

Any tips or suggestions would be very appreciated :)

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
No one wants to hear this, but you might want to run the numbers and you may be able to make more money outsourcing them.
Could be worth a look when you figure in how much labor there will be jumping from 300 to 8k.
If tracking is a concern run some waste vinyl through to see how far you can go before registration goes down the tubes.
My Graphtec is not the greatest at keeping on track so I set most of my stuff to small groups of 5 to 6 feet and run them when I'm doing something else but can still keep an eye on each sheet.
Good luck with it.

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I'm wondering if I could print the roll in 4-5 ft chunks at a time and come back and cut each section one at a time.
This is what you want to do. Get the job set up how you want within the 4-5ft, I would go up to 8 feet at most, and then go to the, "Execution" tab and you can tell it how many times you want it to do that job. If you don't want to deal with the take-up, go into the, "Quality" tab where you normally choose a profile and there is a function called, '"Sheet Cut After Print." If you select that, it will sheet cut between each group.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
Id keep it around 6' also and add intermediate marks. Print it all, use the take up reel, laminate it if you are going to, stick it back on the machine, cut them and get it started back on the take up. When the roll is all done then stretch it out on a work table and do whatever trim work that you need to do. I wouldn't cut it between sheets, too much work.
I don't know if there is a way to automate the cutting where it will do one after another without you having to reset the crop mark detect for each batch. If you could, that would be real easy and you could almost run it unattended. I use the takeup reel for cutting quite a bit, it's pretty handy

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
I don't know if there is a way to automate the cutting where it will do one after another without you having to reset the crop mark detect for each batch. If you could, that would be real easy and you could almost run it unattended
If she is laminating and reloading, she can set the first crop mark and then just send the cut only job using the same, "Execution" tab and just input how many sets there are to cut. It will find the marks for the next jobs automatically that way.

Notarealsignguy

If she is laminating and reloading, she can set the first crop mark and then just send the cut only job using the same, "Execution" tab and just input how many sets there are to cut. It will find the marks for the next jobs automatically that way.
It never works for me. I get a crop mark detection error every time that I have tried that

Solventinkjet

DIY Printer Fixing Guide
It never works for me. I get a crop mark detection error every time that I have tried that
Interesting. Have you tried making multiple copies in the layout screen and sending it that way? If that doesn't work for you I would say maybe something else is going on.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Why not screen print a 5' sheet, put it on the drying rack and when they're dry, put 'em in, register them and cut them ?? You can print about 185 up at a time. You'd hafta print up 44 sheets, but go more, in case of flaws or other miscalculations. You'd have them printed in 2 hours and cut by the end of the next day after they dry. Cripes, you're set up for it.

wrkalot

Thanks for the input. I am not a she but my boss would beg to differ sometimes :)

We screen print t-shirts, not signage, so that's not a viable option. Also, we barely run this thing.... I'm not contracting it out :)

I see that now, I missed it before. So this would print a "chunk" with reg maks, then repeat that (with reg marks) for every number of executions I set. So, lets say, I do 5 secoctions of 5 feet each. When I come back to cut it do the same? Find the marks on section 1, cut, find the marks on section 2, cut, etc?

Notarealsignguy

Interesting. Have you tried making multiple copies in the layout screen and sending it that way? If that doesn't work for you I would say maybe something else is going on.
Yeah. When I print multiple copies I usually forget to put the qty back to 1 when I cut, then it tries to find the mark again and doesn't. Maybe the offset is too much?

Notarealsignguy

Thanks for the input. I am not a she but my boss would beg to differ sometimes :)

We screen print t-shirts, not signage, so that's not a viable option. Also, we barely run this thing.... I'm not contracting it out :)

I see that now, I missed it before. So this would print a "chunk" with reg maks, then repeat that (with reg marks) for every number of executions I set. So, lets say, I do 5 secoctions of 5 feet each. When I come back to cut it do the same? Find the marks on section 1, cut, find the marks on section 2, cut, etc?
Yes, set up your batch and change the execution times.

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
I have a fast printer and all of the equipment, but I would sub that out in a heartbeat. Sometimes its better to make a percentage profit than to spend 20 hours labor to make the same money. I understand wanting to use the equipment you have sitting there, but the math has to work or you will just be spinning your wheels. I sub out anything over 1k pieces.

jfiscus

Rap Master
We use a Graphtec that reads the barcodes continuously as long as you left-justify your prints.
We load the roll on, hit barcode mode, set it in front of the first barcode, and walk away for an hour or so and it is done.
It uses intermediate marks every 12" or so (whatever you set in your rip) but I'd still print them in 6ft sections for ease of cutting down after weeding.

wrkalot

I have a fast printer and all of the equipment, but I would sub that out in a heartbeat. Sometimes its better to make a percentage profit than to spend 20 hours labor to make the same money. I understand wanting to use the equipment you have sitting there, but the math has to work or you will just be spinning your wheels. I sub out anything over 1k pieces.

I get what you are saying, and I'm not saying you are wrong, but I need to learn how to properly use this thing. Contracting this one out means I know tomorrow what I know today, which isn't much :)

ChaseO

Premium Subscriber
I get what you are saying, and I'm not saying you are wrong, but I need to learn how to properly use this thing. Contracting this one out means I know tomorrow what I know today, which isn't much :)
I understand that as well. Run a sheet, and see how long it takes, then start figuring out ways to shave time. Seconds and minutes add up to $$$. I'm sorry i don't know much about your machine to help with the particulars, but I find that around 6 foot is a sweet spot for making decals.

Notarealsignguy

If you have the time available to do it without having to turn down other more profitable work, I would do it myself too. The cost of doing the job contributes to paying your overhead and you bank the profit. Your profit pays for your overhead when you job it out unless you have other things to do.

wrkalot

Well, I just did a test. One row, printed twice. When it came to cut it failed the find the mark on the second row. I'm sure it's user error LOL

The offset was .5, going to try .25 and see if that helps

Last edited:

CanuckSigns

No way subbing this out makes more sense to most shops. According to my calculations, this is just over 1.5 rolls of vinyl, set them to print a roll overnight, laminate in the morning (or not depending on the application) come in and cut them on the plotter.

We are a bit spoiled with our summa flatbed, which would through cut these all in about 3-4 hours, but a standard plotter can do the same in a bit more time. your cost on these would be pennies each in material and possibly 8-10 hours labour total.

LarryB

We just got an order for 5000 round decals. Subbed out to Stouse and tripled our money without having to touch it. If you are not busy I could see keeping it in house.

netsol

No one wants to hear this, but you might want to run the numbers and you may be able to make more money outsourcing them.
Could be worth a look when you figure in how much labor there will be jumping from 300 to 8k.
If tracking is a concern run some waste vinyl through to see how far you can go before registration goes down the tubes.
My Graphtec is not the greatest at keeping on track so I set most of my stuff to small groups of 5 to 6 feet and run them when I'm doing something else but can still keep an eye on each sheet.
Good luck with it.

NORMALLY I would do everything in house.

I imagine if you price the job with onlinelabels.com it will not be worth doing anything but outsourcing

A large client was using an avery label, i forget the number, but it was 1/2 of an 8.5" x 11" they were paying $.87 from staples. Online labels (blank, and a larger qty, but a reasonable amount) got the price down to $.06.5