• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A bridge that you may cross

jkdbjj

The irony for tonight, I will be working overnight, and may sleep here for the first time. I made my bed and must lay in it, but I tell you, this is not a happy situation for the wifey :)

One of our goals for the 2nd quarter, is to fix the scheduling of our jobs.

FrankenSigns.biz

Mike, if you are that busy, should you not hire some help?

Currently we have three and one part-timer for those days when things get crazy. Plus, I just bought a new 64" Roland to keep up with the pace as well.

You have more options than spending the night away from home.

mark in tx

Best thing I ever did in this business is putting hours on the door and sticking to them.

9am -4:30pm Mon-thurs
9am -3pm fridays.
Not open on weekends.

I come in at 8 am and prep for the day. The only reason I will be here past closing is because I want to.

Don't forget to take a vacation now and again, I once realized I hadn't taken a vacation in 3 years. And that was for an out of state funeral.

Life is more than your shop.

SignManiac

Best thing I ever did in this business is putting hours on the door and sticking to them.

9am -4:30pm Mon-thurs
9am -3pm fridays.
Not open on weekends.

I come in at 8 am and prep for the day. The only reason I will be here past closing is because I want to.

Don't forget to take a vacation now and again, I once realized I hadn't taken a vacation in 3 years. And that was for an out of state funeral.

Life is more than your shop.

+1

JustInSigns

As the owner, I start at 6am and finish at 6pm, staff work 8am - 4:30pm and we all work 5 days a week.

If I don't like the customer or want the job, I just say no thanks. Why waste time doing something that won't make us happy or that the guys won't enjoy, when we can just say, no.

And by being so picky about the type of work we want, there has been considerable growth over the last 2 years. The quality of the customer has improved because of this as well.

signswi

Everyone needs to read Michael Port's "Book Yourself Solid". And no, that doesn't mean taking everything that comes your way. Basically, the exact opposite.

Signs, like it or not, are a service industry. Service pricing is set by perception. Treat yourself and your shop like a commodity and you'll get exhausted, but not happy or wealthy. You should be selling and pricing with a service-based USP, otherwise you're just a cog and if you're the owner, all you've done is given yourself a job.

printpros_au

:U Rock:

What an awesome thread to read, it is funny that I'm on the other side of the world to most of you yet I can relate 100% to what has been said here! Customers needing everything yesterday is just the nature of the beast