• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A couple recent routed HDU jobs we're really proud of

TimToad

I wanted to share photos of these two recent HDU signs we just completed. Mostly, the outstanding team work it took to get them done and the outstanding painting work that my wife and partner does on these kinds projects.

The big Tobin James Cellars sign involved six local small businesses in one way or another.

Attachments

• Creston Community Center 1.jpg
    Creston Community Center 1.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 885
  • Tobin James Cellars 2.jpg
    Tobin James Cellars 2.jpg
    587.3 KB · Views: 797

TimToad

Do you job these out or have your own CNC setup to do these nice signs.

Thanks for the compliment. Our next door neighbors are a custom woodworking shop that have the CNC Router. We partner with them on a lot of projects where they help us and we help them on signs they are asked to do. We sell the jobs, design them, create the cut files, provide the depths and effects we want, the materials and then handle all the paint work, assembly and installation.

TimToad

Very nice. On the Creston sign, are the white letters a separate letter attached, or routed from the same blank? Nice and crisp...
We find it easier to paint the returns (edges) of letters, outlines, etc. if they are a separate piece of foam with a 1/8" deep pocket they fit into routed into the background. After we're done painting them, we glue them in place with polyurethane glue and a few set screws under the letter pieces to conceal them. Small letters where we don't expect to paint the returns are cut out of the parent sheet.

It uses a little extra foam to do it this way but we like this method because it allows us to maximize depths and have things protrude above the background even more if the design calls for it.

TimToad

By using wood...

Its not actual wood. Its just the simulated woodgrain texture we chose to rout into the background of the foam. Any number of textures can be created.

The entire sign is HDU except for the 1/2" MDO backing panel we laminate to the foam before routing it to shape.

On the Tobin James Cellars sign which is about 4'x24', we used AluPanel as the backing panels and only 10 lb. density HDU to keep the weight down and then used LEXEL adhesive and tons of through bolts to sandwich both sides of the sign to a 1 1/2" x 1 1/2" welded and powdercoated internal frame.

Big_Pine

I wanted to share photos of these two recent HDU signs we just completed. Mostly, the outstanding team work it took to get them done and the outstanding painting work that my wife and partner does on these kinds projects.

The big Tobin James Cellars sign involved six local small businesses in one way or another.
Top of the line sign work very nice work!

TimToad

Good job, are they hand painted or spray gunned?

We use a combination of hand applied primer/paint and sprayed whenever its more prudent. Even when we spray the backgrounds, you get some puddling in corners which needs to be feathered out with a brush. Whichever tool produces the best finished product is the one we employ.

Marlene

Did you design them? They look awesome! Love the two side panels for the Tobin sign. What a cool idea.