• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A-Frame alternative for windy, snowy open area

Stacey K

I like making signs
Ice fishing club looking for a semi-permanent sign to put near boat dock, we have wind, snow, ice up here and snowplows so it needs to be durable. Sign should be 2 sided and each side about 18-24" x 36". He mentioned the snow plow guys are not very careful...

Option 1: He wanted an A-frame sign - that won't work

Option 2: A stand like the ones many of us build for real estate signs - just on a smaller scale. and he could put some sand bags on the bottom?

Option 3: He also thought of a 55 gallon drum with sand in it and I put the sign on a sign pole - might be a good deterrent for snow plows?

Option 4: Weighted wind sign. I have not used them in the past so I'm not sure how well they work - don't really like this option

1666714773474.png

Boudica

Back to "educational purposes"
I'd go with option 3 or 4. The weighted drum with a pole sounds apropos, but that weighted wind sign looks pretty nifty :)

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Semi-permanent ?? What does that even mean ?? If it's gonna go out in the morning and back in at night, that's one thing, but if this is supposed to withstand all the elements and still not be anchored properly, that's another. We've put out 4' x 8's on 38" cemented posts in the ground and the snow plows take 'em out like nothing. Just from the snow being thrown..... the trucks don't hit them.

I'm afraid your customer needs to wake up and re-think his weird request. It either is or it isn't. But that doesn't mean it's gonna last all winter.

Stacey K

I like making signs
I agree, 3 will not look the best, but for this purpose, it's probably the best option.

When I say "semi-permanent" I mean that once the lakes starts freezing (December?) they will put the signs out and then once it start to thaw again (March?) they will take them off for Spring, Summer, Fall.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
In my opinion that's a permanent sign..... or least a permanent type installation needed.

If someone gets hurt or hit by a flying sign, who's gonna be responsible ?? The customer who ordered it or the person making it who didn't follow protocol ??

Billct2

I think the weighted 55 Gal drum may actually be too much weight in one spot and too hard to undo. I would go for a heavy duty "sled" sign. Couple 6"x6" for the runners and at leas 4"x4" for the structure.
The 6"x6" can be cut at an angle so it could be pulled like a sled. They can add sand bags or concrete blocks if needed. I would incorporate some reflective materials so nobody runs into it in the dark.

Hahnprinting

Hi Stacey,
When they say by the boat docks, will it be on the ice or on the pavement? Assuming the ice.
The 55 will freeze in and will be hard to move if needed.

Snowmobile clubs (which I am a part of) have sign posts on lakes all over, showing direction and locations.
They are typically wooden structures, with a wide base, and a reflective ALU sign on them.

Perhaps that would be a solution for the fishing clubs. Built from treated lumber, they will last, and are portable
and will handle the windy conditions.

I can snap a few pictures this weekend of the ones we have for our snow club as a reference (Fox Valley area)

kev

Gino

Premium Subscriber
:doh: I kinda think, if they were out on the ice, the snow plows wouldn't be much of a concern.

rjssigns

:doh: I kinda think, if they were out on the ice, the snow plows wouldn't be much of a concern.
Never been ice fishing have ya? Some parts are like a superhighway, especially on the Great Lakes. 18" plus inches of ice is common.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Nope. Do they send the snowplows out there ?? I can see a snowblower or some sort of plow mechanism on a tractor or something, but on normal tri-axles ??

DL Signs

Never go against the family
Nope. Do they send the snowplows out there ?? I can see a snowblower or some sort of plow mechanism on a tractor or something, but on normal tri-axles ??
You ain't missing anything. Freezing yer' butt off to catch fish. No thanks, I'll go to a restaurant and order their catch of the day.
Around here they have track vehicles, they use em' to groom snowmobile trails, and have plows on them, a lot of ice fishers have 4x4's with plows to keep lanes open.... I'm not that far from Stacey, and some of the lakes around here look like little cities in the winter, shanties, shacks, campers, motor homes... They're crazy here, drink a lot, and it shows, especially when ice fishing is involved.

gnubler

I know you said no A-frames, but I had a customer who said their A-frame kept blowing over. I suggested tethering it as shown in the image, with a ratchet strap and ground anchor. Not sure how that would work once it snows, though.
20220622_150453.jpg