• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A new career?

AH

Hello everyone. My name is Andy, I'm 28 years old, and I'm working with another newbie on this forum - my brother, mike rau. I'm a mechanical engineer by education. I worked in product development/r&d for 6yrs, but unfortunately I was a victim of massive layoffs in November. I love where I live (Upper Peninsula of Michigan), but engineering jobs are hard to come by here. Long story short - the two of us are now doing vinyl graphics with the Gerber Edge 2 and the EnVision plotter. So far I find the work both fun and rewarding. We've set up in my friend's shop where he runs his business dealing with car audio, remote starters, window tint performance parts, etc. So far the two businesses seem to complement eachother nicely.

TLG

Say "Ya" to da UP, eh?
Stay warm in the hinterlands and welcome from the sunny SE.

Ken

Well, I can understand Michigan being in decline for your profession. The Big 3 being on hard times. Do you consider sign vinyl/making to be a career, a trade, an art form? I guess all of the above.
I'd caution about the psuedo partnership with the audio/window-tint friend.
What is the back-up plan B?
A plan should be implemented. A flow chart of possibilities/capabilities to let you know where this will go. You're obviously a smart guy and still young.
Would you consider a change of locale to continue in your profession?
Personally, that is what I would do, at your age. But there are many reasons why someone would not want to move away from familiar surroundings.
I wish you and your brother all success in this venture.
Kind regards...Ken

AH

Well, I can understand Michigan being in decline for your profession. The Big 3 being on hard times. Do you consider sign vinyl/making to be a career, a trade, an art form? I guess all of the above.
I'd caution about the psuedo partnership with the audio/window-tint friend.
What is the back-up plan B?
A plan should be implemented. A flow chart of possibilities/capabilities to let you know where this will go. You're obviously a smart guy and still young.
Would you consider a change of locale to continue in your profession?
Personally, that is what I would do, at your age. But there are many reasons why someone would not want to move away from familiar surroundings.
I wish you and your brother all success in this venture.
Kind regards...Ken

Ken...Thanks for your advice and viewpoint. I'm not quite ready to give up engineering quite yet - there are a couple opportunities I've been working on. As far as the vinyl graphics world, the intention for now is to help get the business up and running, learn the software, application, etc. while at the same time, it's helping me in the $$ department while I'm inbetween jobs. As I stated earlier, so far I enjoy the work and wouldn't mind staying involved part time even after I return to the world of engineering geekdom.

The Big Squeegee

Long Time Member
Welcome from Oklahoma!

:Welcome: to :signs101:
I lived in the UP (KI Sawyer AFB "76-"78") for about 2 years. Loved it! Can't hardly blame you for not wanting to seek work somewhere else. Good luck!​

Wild Hare

Welcome! I changed carrees a couple of years ago to signmakeing. It was tougher than I expected, but very rewarding.
Jamie

masterdesigns

Even if the garage brings in business for your friend, it will still be a great way to get your name out there. Good luck and Welcome
Bob

Ken

A.H., one thing I really enjoy about this business , is when I drive around my community ,I get to see designs that I have not only designed, but produced, and sometimes installed myself. I've made my mark..for all to see.
I love that. I think that's what keeps most of us doing what we do. I guess there's some ego involved with this...lol
Regards...Ken

belongie

welcome, from marinette, WI! Sorry this is a bit off topic, but I saw mention of KI sawyer. I laugh everytime I think of that old afb. for the longest time my daughter believed the pilot landed that plane on the pole! Anyway, where about in the up?