• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

A New Wrinkle Even For An Old ****

VolunteerSign

Here's the deal. We are re-lettering (hand painting) a sign that is 7' tall and 32' wide. The sign face is the old, really wide ridged, plastic. The ridges are roughly 4" wide and of course alternating with 4" wide "valleys".

Being here in the Smoky Mountains, people want trees and stuff on everything...including this sign. I thought about doing the "landscape" in vinyl and hand lettering the wording on the sign. Is vinyl going to stick to this sign since it was probably built with Moby Dick was still a minnow? I just hate to spend all the time working the vinyl into those valley's only to have it pop back off.

Oh and the really fun twist...all this is going to have to be accomplished 60' in the air because the sign is not to code because it's almost 40' too tall but it is grandfathered in, so long as it doesn't come down. I was told today, if it touches the ground then it can't be put up higher than 25'.

Just figured I would use vinyl wherever possible if the experts on here tell me it will stick.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Is it really plastic or could it be fiberglass ??

Are you cleaning off all the old graphics and lettering.... down to the bare panel or just going overtop of the old paint ??

Remember, when you don't clean completely, you're only gonna be as good as the surface you're going on.

Is the old paint oil-based lettering enamels or some latex or even some painters artist's paint ??

VolunteerSign

I'm sorry, yes it's the old frosted fiberglass coro panels. The lettering that's on there now is actually three 6' cut out letters spelling out INN that have been pop-riveted to the fiberglass panels.

There is actually no paint that will need to be cleaned off..thankfully.

Thanks for your help Gino

Jillbeans

What if you cut the trees out of green PVC or some such, taped them to the old sign, drilled thru both then pop-rivet them on?
Love....Jill

letterman7

I'd see if they would allow you to skin it with something, like 3mm Dibond. Paint/letter that, then hoof it up and bolt it (using fender washers on the back) to the fiberglass.