• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Absentee owner

CheapVehicleWrap

This story came up again today. My Brother used to run a few bicycle shops when he was younger. He's pretty intelligent and did a great job.

Mr. Kim (Chinese I think) had purchased an existing shop and handed it to my Brother Chris to run while he played (not so nice) games with other peoples money.

1) Chris is cleaning out the filthy showroom, in particular the display cases. Mr. Kim comes in and says "Chris, Chris what are you doing?". Cleaning up this mess. Mr. Kim "No, No. Customer see very dirty, think very very busy".

2) Chris has a customers bicycle all taken apart. "Chris, Chris what are you doing?". I'm servicing the bike Mr. Kim. "No, No. Justa clean the bike (picks up rag). Customer see clean bike think very nice bike.

3). OHH NO...CHRISTMAS TIME. My Brother decorates the entire front of the shop. Lights, the whole nine yards. Bicycle shops do MOST of their business during Christmas. Mr. Kim was around even less and less. What's wrong? NOBODY's coming in... In fact NOT ONE bicycle sold over the whole season. Well, they didn't realize that the bike shop was in the heart of a predominantly Jewish community.

Craig Sjoquist

I'd run as fast as I can away from that job .. I ride bicycles and would like to open a bicycle shop good business but with a owner like that yikes.

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
I bet it was the ham hors d'oeuvres.

But seriously, the moral of the story: Know your customer.

jiarby

What is the point of this story????
Mayve that bike stores do most of their business at Christmas but because this one was in a jewish neighborhood they didn't sell any?

Maybe Jews do not ride bikes?

andy

Maybe Jewish folk have heard about Mr Kim's "interesting" approach to bicycle maintenance & servicing?

GypsyGraphics

Maybe Mr. Kim should have done his homework and known the community in which he decided to do business. OR adapted his store displays to better fit the community whether or not they were his own traditions or beliefs.

AUTO-FX

A successful business always evolves. Could be that the business was sold to Mr Kim because the previous owner saw the change in demographics and didnt want to deal with it. Couldnt evolve with it.

FrankenSigns.biz

Once upon a time there was this Bozo, who posted a pointless, kinda racist story in a forum on the internet, and everybody just scratched their heads and a few people made fun of him.

speedmedia

While yes it is a silly story that doesn't really have a point I fail to see any racism in it. Some damn people need to lighten up, my god better call Jesse and Al to take care of it!

I mean seriously guys? Not much going on today?

Thanks,
Kurt

David Wright

Just noticing a persons race is racism now? PC Indoctrination for a lot of you I guess.

Anyways, isn't Kim Korean? I do like the third world business practices we bring to this country.

CheapVehicleWrap

Sorry if anyone thought this was racist. Can't pull the race card on me. As a full blooded American I can assure you I dislike most Americans equally. The post should be pulled as a few here are not intelligent to understand it.

showcase 66

This reminds me of a story from my friends father. He grew up in a very traditional Jewish part of town. A restaurant had closed in the middle of the neighborhood. 2 months later another place opened it up. A pork bbq place. Traditionally, the Jewish people do not eat pork. Didn't last 2 months.

As for the "PC", I think it is BS. I dont care if someone wishes me a happy Hanuka. One of my best friends is Jewish and I have plenty of Jewish meals during Hanuka as has he had many Christmas meals with me.

Honestly I believe most people could care less about the PC. It is just a few people wanting to make a name for themselves and feel like they have the control over people.

The moral of the story, is know your customers and cater to them.