• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Actually it is Twenty Two Dogs

Twodogs

Hello Everyone From Atlanta Georgia,

I am many things to a lot of people in many places, but mostly me to myself and my family. Being in high demand during the day, I strive to continuously purposefully forget my last phone calls.

Take notes, Solve the problem, Move on. Life itself should be so simple.

My montra could be "Dogs Make Great Children" and there is no associated college expense!

You can see what I do at www.koicamp.com and www.wbykennel.com
and there lies the potential for my newfound interest in sign making.

I am extremely passionate about the things that interest me, and I don't mind spending a few dollars to get better stuff than not so better stuff.

I have been on a crash intensive search for a cutter to add to my small business for cutting decals and signage for our use in house. I have been around lay up guys for years and am familiar with the sign shop environment. I first wanted to buy a good cheap cutter and found on Sign101 that there is no best unit or good cheap cutters. So I started looking at Roland, because everything else just looked like junk when compared. I am really keen on the optical registration. It is probably the only way to go for me and my stickers as it were. The Roland GX24 looks really attractive, put pricey for my budget. Roland must be good, because all the sites support its 1695.00 price tag, and there are no used ones to be found. In a perfect world I would die for a Versacam. But my imperfect budget disapproves. Is there anyone (stupid question) who can you point me in a construstive direction. I do realize that one will likely not get something for nothing and that the GX-24 is cheap by you pro-signmakers standards. But I just want to play and be creative for my small business needs and get the most bang for my buck without buying disposable junk. I would so greatly appreciate if you could point me in a direction.

I am continuing to read and research the threads, some of which are cram full of excellent information. (And seemingly Good People) I am very glad to find a forum home on Sign101. I have never signed on to a forum of any kind before so be kind, and let me know how thick my skin needs to be. I don't have a lot of spare time, but I am looking forward to Sign101 being my newest hobby!

Good men and good toys should be standard equipment in life. Unfortunately, today you have to look pretty hard to find both of them together!
:thankyou:

Greg (more)

WVB

Look into Roland Stika's which are for hobbist like yourself. I believe Summa & Graphtec made a 15" plotter at one point... Also take a gander at Graphtec they have a lower line although still over $1000, but very good capable machines... A place called Sign Warehouse (which I would not recommend to anyone) sells a relabeled Graphtec under its own name... SSK (now out of business) also use to sell a relabeled Graphtec under its own name of Designtec (I think..?)

In any event welcome to S101 from the Midwest..!

Jackpine

Welcome to the group. Look around for a Graphtec CE3000Mk2. Graphtec "upgrade" it to a CE5000Mk2 and no has only 1 line of FC7000. There should be a few showing up used or try to cut a deal with a dealer that would want to "move old inventory". I use a CE3000Mk2 and it is a good cutter for the money.

iSign

Hi Greg,
If you want good decals just for yourself, would die for a versacam, but can't justify the expense... then I would invest in 3 other things instead...

1.) ramp up your computing power if at all under powered for graphics work.

2.) Get, or add to your existing, top notch industry standard design software.

3.) While investing the time to push youself into better and better design creation skills, also invest in locating a reliable vendor in your area for printing your work.

In a short time you will learn how to tweak your design style to account for the strengths and weaknesses of whatever printing equipment is being used, & you will streamline the process of dealing with this other professional.

Sure, having your own toys is better... but I'd rather borrow my buddies Harley once in a while, then have my own moped just because I could afford one.

gvgraphics

Roland isn't the only cutter brand thats good. There is Graphtec, Summa, Ioline and a few others that are quality machines. Everyone has their own thoughts as to who is better. Hell, allot of members here have no name cutters that they have been running for years with out any problems. The optical eye doesn't help the quality of cutting, it is for contour cutting printed graphics.

PS. You might want to look into the ability to read your kennel website. That background with blue text just doesn't work.

Twodogs

Thanks for the advice, Never thought about using someone elses printer. Just have to find one and make friends. Thank you for your reply! Greg

Hi Greg,
If you want good decals just for yourself, would die for a versacam, but can't justify the expense... then I would invest in 3 other things instead...

1.) ramp up your computing power if at all under powered for graphics work.

2.) Get, or add to your existing, top notch industry standard design software.

3.) While investing the time to push youself into better and better design creation skills, also invest in locating a reliable vendor in your area for printing your work.

In a short time you will learn how to tweak your design style to account for the strengths and weaknesses of whatever printing equipment is being used, & you will streamline the process of dealing with this other professional.

Sure, having your own toys is better... but I'd rather borrow my buddies Harley once in a while, then have my own moped just because I could afford one.

Twodogs

Thank you all for replying to my post. It is way cool to know that you all are at my fingertips! Thanks for the support!

Fledgling, Two dogs