• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ADA Bathroom signs

Shadowglen

I am doing all the indoor signage for a new sports bar we need ADA signs for the restrooms We do in house laser engraving but nothing with Braille Any good suppliers out there?

Moze

Precision Sign Services
You bet. If you call, ask for Todd Bailey and please tell him I referred you.

AzGene

Standard restroom signs can be gotten at home depot for under $10.00. If you need something custom my prices are the best.

704signs

One of my pet peeves is when a place spends tons of money on everything and then tops it off with some piece of crap home depot restroom sign ( not even installed at the right height )
In my opinion nothing says class like an original looking restroom sign.
I feel better now.....

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Sorry for overlooking the Merchant Member route.

I would recommend Gene. :)

visual800

Came up with own cause Im very bored with the run of the mill bathroom stuff and sent them to whitewater graphics to be reproduced. they are very reasonable and pretty quick

Attachments

• 477864_3250488114012_523348592_o.jpg
    477864_3250488114012_523348592_o.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 129

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Bruce, do you have the attached regulations?

I don't have everything memorized, but I know the text is supposed to be uppercase and located below the pictograms.

Not trying to pick your signs apart, but don't want to see you have to remove any signs either.

Attachments

• 2010 Sign Regs.pdf
    1.5 MB · Views: 185

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We've always used upper case, also. However, something has puzzled me for years and I'm not sure what the actual ruling is............

Does the braille dots have to be in the opposing color or can it be a different color or the same color as the background ??

I've seen it all three ways. We always try to use the braille in the same opposing color as the letters.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
if you think about it, color shouldnt matter with braille

Ah, but it does. Because it's for the handicapped and that includes people which are legally blind and not totally blind only. Legally blind means you can see some things from shadows to forms to just very very poor eyesight. Some of them can read braille, cause it's easier than straining for everything. So, if the color of braille doesn't matter, why do you need a sign at all ?? They're not gonna be able to see the sign or anything else without waving their arms up and down the walls all day long.

AzGene

Text needs to be upper case and the pictogram needs to be in a 6 inch blank field. Don't think the text is required to be below the pictogram, have done them both ways but I can't be sure. There are no regs for braille dot contrast. We ususlly use clear which will reflect the substrate color.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Braille has to be below the text (except for as noted for elevators).

Attachments

• Braille 1.jpg
    Braille 1.jpg
    21 KB · Views: 128
  • Braille 2.jpg
    Braille 2.jpg
    15.2 KB · Views: 125

CES020

I think the ADA regulations for signs need some serious attention. The regulations require them beside doors of permanent rooms, but if you're blind, how do you find the room?

If you walk into a commercial office building that's 10 stories tall, the directory isn't braille. So how do you know that Dr. Checkmyeyes is on floor 7? Okay, so someone tells you it's on floor 7. You can navigate into the elevator and to the 7th floor because that's all required to be braille. You step off the elevator. Now what? You need suite 732. Where's that? How do I know what direction to go? Do I have to start at the wall outside the elevator and feel my way around the entire floor until I find it?

It's insane and one of the biggest wastes of money out there. We've done more ADA signs than I can count and I can honestly say that in all my time in buildings, I have NEVER seen a blind person using the signs. I've seen a number of blind people, but none of them using the signs.

Oh, and if you're blind, how'd you get to the building? Most of the time, blind people bring someone with them to get them to their appointments.

And another thing- a lot of those off the shelf braille signs for $13 a pop are WRONG. Look up "RESTROOM SIGNS" and look at them. You'll see various signs, that says "MEN" and you'll see different braille for the same text. The regulation is pretty clear on it, but you'll see more that are wrong that right.