• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

ADA Question.................................

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We have a somewhat new customer who has gotten a bunch of signs lately. She just paid her bill for some last week and now she's requesting some more signs. However, I'm not sure of the approach to them.

She wants a total of 3 Rest Room signs, which I know must be ADA w/braille, but these are to be signs alerting people as to wherethey are in the building, such as "[FONT=arial, sans-serif]additional restroom located on third floor[/FONT][FONT=arial, sans-serif]" and "[/FONT]ADA handicapped accessible restroom located on the second floor. So, I'm not sure if these need to be braille or not, since they are not near the bathrooms themselves. Do you think these need braille or not ??

:thankyou: Gino

wgsengraving

We have done similar signs for the University of Florida. They were installed below the restroom signs.

In any case, if the signs are for the visually handicapped, then it would make sense to add Braille.

Are you using tactile lettering as well?

letterman7

The last couple apartment complexes I covered had something similar. I took no chances and provided them as ADA spec; the local fire marshal for each township said they didn't have to be.. but then I know marshals that say they would. Just as easy to CYA...

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We have done similar signs for the University of Florida. They were installed below the restroom signs.

In any case, if the signs are for the visually handicapped, then it would make sense to add Braille.

These won't be going anywhere near the bathrooms themselves. Two are going to be in a hallway, so if someone is visually handicapped, they'll never see them. They're more of a directional idea as to when you get into the place telling people where these things are. Tactile..... ?? Only if they hafta be.

TXFB.INS

depends on the type of building.

here in TX public buildings IE a library, has to follow the standard federal guidelines and also has to meet the state requirements.
https://www.tdlr.texas.gov/ab/abtas.htm#toc
Which means they had to have additional signs directing people to the ADA restrooms

so I would check with what type of building it is and what the state regulations are.

wgsengraving

These won't be going anywhere near the bathrooms themselves. Two are going to be in a hallway, so if someone is visually handicapped, they'll never see them. They're more of a directional idea as to when you get into the place telling people where these things are. Tactile..... ?? Only if they hafta be.

If the signs are to direct the handicapped, then I would put Braille on them, even though the ADA requirements are meant for permanent locations. The university likes to put Braille on their nameplates as well.

Moze

Precision Sign Services
Directional and informational signs aren't required to use tactile or Braille. The "Visual Characters" on the signs DO need to meet contrast, size requirements, etc.

Gino

Premium Subscriber

Directional and informational signs aren't required to use tactile or Braille. The "Visual Characters" on the signs DO need to meet contrast, size requirements, etc.

This is more along the lines as I thought. For as little as these are, I'm not going to do a 4 hour study on this and not get paid for it. Therefore, I'll tell her, I think they might hafta be, but if she wants to further investigate, she's welcomed to do so. Otherwise, I'm gonna price them out as non-ADA.
Feel free to keep compiling information on the matter. :thankyou:

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Technically, these are ADA signs, they just don't have tactile or braille...

Here is the official ADAAG code:

(iii) When existing toilet or bathing facilities are being altered and are not made accessible, signage complying with 4.30.1, 4.30.2, 4.30.3, 4.30.5, and 4.30.7 shall be provided indicating the location of the nearest accessible toilet or bathing facility within the facility.

4.30.1 - Means it must be accessible
4.30.2 - Character proportion standards
4.30.3 - Character height standards
4.30.5 - Finish and Contrast standards
4.30.7 - Symbols of accessibility standards

To my knowledge, only New York requires braille on signage directing to accessible restrooms.

Do not use the word "handicap", always use "accessible"

This is more along the lines as I thought. For as little as these are, I'm not going to do a 4 hour study on this and not get paid for it. Therefore, I'll tell her, I think they might hafta be, but if she wants to further investigate, she's welcomed to do so. Otherwise, I'm gonna price them out as non-ADA.
Feel free to keep compiling information on the matter. :thankyou:

Is your shop a consultant? I try to never get involved with telling customers what they need. Especially when it comes to meeting certain requirements. IF it's a safety issue of course if I saw something I would say something. I point them to someone or somewhere that might have their answer. But they need to tell me what they want. That way they can't come back and say " I'm gonna sue you because someone is suing me because you told me the wrong blah blah blah. Either that or if you don't want to do the work for what you need then your gonna get a lot of overkill.

gnemmas

I was taught that 90% of ADA sign are no for blind persons, rather "legally blind" persons, thus the contrast/color requirement.

However, the blind person are taught to find the sign at the "specific locations", at the wall next to open side of a door, 60" above ground.

I don't see the reason for raised letter + braille for signs not at the specified locations.

They need to find them, and touch them.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I was taught that 90% of ADA sign are no for blind persons, rather "legally blind" persons, thus the contrast/color requirement.

However, the blind person are taught to find the sign at the "specific locations", at the wall next to open side of a door, 60" above ground.

I don't see the reason for raised letter + braille for signs not at the specified locations.

Zacolly :thumb:

J Hill Designs

48"-60" these days :thumb:

MikePro

pretty sure I've never heard of ADA compliance actually referring to wayfinding but merely identification as to what the room/exit/stairwell/elevator they are entering and other fire safety warnings such as "do not use elevator" or "push button for assistance" etc.
We have, however, added requested verbiage such as "you are on level four. emergency exit on level one." to stairwell signage for some recent university dorm stairwells.

then again, I'm just in Wisconsin and have never made ADA signs for anyone outside of the Midwest.

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
pretty sure I've never heard of ADA compliance actually referring to wayfinding but merely identification as to what the room/exit/stairwell/elevator they are entering and other fire safety warnings such as "do not use elevator" or "push button for assistance" etc.
We have, however, added requested verbiage such as "you are on level four. emergency exit on level one." to stairwell signage for some recent university dorm stairwells.

then again, I'm just in Wisconsin and have never made ADA signs for anyone outside of the Midwest.

Except for signs directing to accessible facilities, wayfinding signs are not required in a building, but once they are included, they are required to follow ADA standards...
Another directional/wayfinder that is required are accessible entrance wayfinding signage that include blue striping and tactile floors warning of a hazard from accessible parking spots to building entrances.

wgsengraving

Although it is not required, some customers ask that we put Braille and tactile lettering on a variety of signs. That's being quite user friendly. :smile:

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Technically, these are ADA signs, they just don't have tactile or braille...

Here is the official ADAAG code:

(iii) When existing toilet or bathing facilities are being altered and are not made accessible, signage complying with 4.30.1, 4.30.2, 4.30.3, 4.30.5, and 4.30.7 shall be provided indicating the location of the nearest accessible toilet or bathing facility within the facility.

4.30.1 - Means it must be accessible
4.30.2 - Character proportion standards
4.30.3 - Character height standards
4.30.5 - Finish and Contrast standards
4.30.7 - Symbols of accessibility standards

To my knowledge, only New York requires braille on signage directing to accessible restrooms.

Do not use the word "handicap", always use "accessible"

What or how would you word what you mean. I don't get it.

Unless you mean her request..... ADA handicapped accessible restroom located on the second floor become ADA accessible restroom located on the second floor For me, I would eliminate ADA and just put..... Handicapped Accessible Located on Second Floor...... and be done with it.