• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Add Camo Dipping to your Services

wrappin

Start your own camo dipping business using the DIY Camo Dip Kit from http://www.camodipkit.com/

The ONLY Pro-Grade Camo Hydrographics kit on the market that you can do at home. Perfect on guns, deer skulls, hunting gear, auto parts, and more. Over 40 camo patterns to choose from plus carbon fiber, wood grain, skulls, and other neat designs. Complete kits are available, or you can buy individual supplies including camo film, activator, paint, clear coat, etc...

J

john1

Guy locally is getting outta signs and into just this, Pretty cool stuff.

mark galoob

if you are going to do this on guns, you better check your laws. i understand that if you accept certain gun parts you have to have proper licensing. i know a guy that does dura coat on guns locally, and this info comes from him. dont know if its true or not, just sayin...

but its very cool and very interesting...

mark galoob

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
It is interesting
Wonder if an ipad/iphone is waterproof enough for a quick dip......

wayne k
guam usa

jfiscus

Rap Master
Where can we see wholesale pricing? I only see a "starter kit" at retail price.

How much are additional sheets each?
Is there any way possible that you can print these sheets yourself (custom) with a wide-format printer?

Gene@mpls

Start your own camo dipping business using the DIY Camo Dip Kit from http://www.camodipkit.com/

The ONLY Pro-Grade Camo Hydrographics kit on the market that you can do at home. Perfect on guns, deer skulls, hunting gear, auto parts, and more. Over 40 camo patterns to choose from plus carbon fiber, wood grain, skulls, and other neat designs. Complete kits are available, or you can buy individual supplies including camo film, activator, paint, clear coat, etc...

Is this a commercial?

SightLine

║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█
I've looked into this before. Historically you cannot make the prints yourself. These are generally gravure printed onto PVA material which is beyond the scope of most of our shops. Gravure is a sort of intaglio printing process where the image is etched onto a plate, then installed onto a drum for printing. Not at all economical for any sort of one off custom work. Last I really looked into it though there were a few digital processes being devoloped and tested possibly printing the image onto a sumblimation sort of heat transfer, than pressing that onto the PVA sheet. Been a while though so I really am not sure how far along that has come or if any sort of direct inkjet printable PVA is around yet. The problem is the PVA (polyvinyl alchohol) film reacts to liquids so directly printing to it with an inkjet is not something you would want to attempt unless you like the idea of the material melting in your printer.

It would have to have some sort of barrier carrier and like I said the last I looked into it a couple of years ago there were companies quickly working on ways to make it economically printable in house for one offs. The catch I see with that though is just like the kit listed here.... the barrier to entry is going to rapidly become too low. If any joe off the street can do it himself why pay you an upcharge to do it for him. That being said, if you have a huge tank and are dealing with large peices that would certainly be a niche that someone would not want to attempt in a home setting. I also do not like that currently your only choice is all the pre-made patterns that every other dealer and the public can also buy at the same price as you. Not to mention that the patterns are printed in massive bulk in China, what do you think the odds are that the China factory actually licensed every one of the images/patterns they are printing? lol

It's also a bit more of a fiddly process than the many sites would have you think. The item itself requires just as much if not more prep than something you might wrap in vinyl. More if it needs to be primed and have a basecoat applied. Then it gets dipped where you have a very limited timeframe from when you spray the activator on the print in the water to when you dip the item, to how long you leave the print to "set" on the item before you must quickly rinshe it to halt the setting process. Then in 99% of cases you will then need to clear coat the item to protect the new water transferred print on it.

rjssigns

Rogue Roller said he figured out how to print his own. Said he got materials form China. I pm'ed him to find out, but got no response. :help

edgette

I looked into this process a few years ago and was turned off by not being able to do my own designs or patterns. If that were available I would jump on this today.

Atomic DNA

A friend of mine has been doing this for a while now. He told me there were sites out there selling small versions of this type of business. There is a lot on the site that they do not tell you. Yes, each piece ifs generally base coat painted (or primed and based if need be) and then the item is dipped a certain way. THAT part right there takes a ton of time to get right. You can easily stretch or warp the design when dipping, get little pockets of air in recessed areas leaving a blank area where the print should go. Then you have to use a 2k clear after a complete rinse of the product.

They make it sound so easy. They are the ones that will be rolling in the cash as you keep buying film from them and the film is pretty costly. Too many variables to go wrong. Also the fact you cannot customize.

I have another friend that just bought into this type of business (larger scale) and said it was one of the most frustrating thing he has ever done. He said if he had to do it all over, he wouldn't have done it. this is coming from a guy that has been in the paint and body business for 30 years and powder coat business of about 20 years.

megacab

if you are going to do this on guns, you better check your laws. i understand that if you accept certain gun parts you have to have proper licensing. i know a guy that does dura coat on guns locally, and this info comes from him. dont know if its true or not, just sayin...

but its very cool and very interesting...

mark galoob

I can tell you this is a very true statement. You cannot dip anything with serial numbers on it without an FFL or the ATF will be on you like white on rice....you can do all the parts without serial numbers without. like grips and such.