• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adding Window Tint Services?

TXFB.INS

We have been looking to expand the services/products that we currently offer and have been getting more requests lately (or just been more aware of the requests recently) about if we offer/do window tinting both for vehicles and buildings.

obviously there are pros/cons just like any other business venture.
personally I think it is positive move since we are already familiar with how to lay vinyl, so there is less learning involved with the physical side of it.

Looking for feedback from current sign/graphic people who offer both signs/graphics and window tinting.
do you find having these services a benefit or hindrance to the signs/graphics side of the business
If you had to do it again would you combine signs/graphics with window tinting?

Would appreciate any helpful comments / feedback

Thanks for the time

reQ

I did add tinting to my existing business 3 years ago. Good money if you can do good work. For me at this point its a filler work, since there are to many "cheaper" guys out there. Most of the time people don't care about what brand of the film they get or what kind of end result they get. Price its all it matters to them.

Chasez

Our company started off only supply/install of 3M window films (tints) and have expanded into doing graphics. I would say that being able to offer it to your clients is always great but you have to make sure your installers can do a good job, the films that you use are a quality product, and that you do your research on tinting.

We spend so much time replacing film (and the glass itself) because of other companies who have tried to get into it and are just selling any material. Some materials (darkness) can't go on certain types of windows because of the thermal load and can cause the glass to crack (and if the manufacturer doesn't offer a warranty for this it gets really expensive to replace the glass and then have to replace the film etc.) then the glass has to be replaced with a certain type of glass.

All I'm saying is don't be one of those guys who says they offer it without doing their homework and knowing all the factors that contribute to it. I've been dealing with window films for over 10 years and I'm still learning things as new films/technologies are created. I know you have to get into it at some point but do your homework.

Chaz

rjssigns

Here is what I know based on a friend of ours that made his living doing tint. He got away from vehicles and got into flat glass work. More money less headaches and no crawling around inside a cramped back seat.

Chasez

Here is what I know based on a friend of ours that made his living doing tint. He got away from vehicles and got into flat glass work. More money less headaches and no crawling around inside a cramped back seat.

I completely agree.. we don't do any vehicles only flat glass. Once you get good at it, you can make alot more money than vehicles. From the guys I've seen who do vehicles can do a vehicle in a couple hours to make a couple hundred bucks... a good installer can make a couple thousand bucks in a few hours depending on the sq. ft. of glass they're installing.

Chaz

Kottwitz-Graphics

I attempted to add window tinting working with a local car stereo shop, that happened to be a customer. I sunk a good bit of money into it, and lost my @$$... when I pulled out of thevery partnership (if you can call it that), I had just about enough.

Tinting cars is a lot harder than applying vinyl. If you do add it, think about hiring a seasoned tinter. Heat shrinking the rear windows is a pain in itself.

If your interested, I have a how to tint dvd set from stan foster. It costs over $400, make me an offer.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
I've known quite a few window tinters in my day. Like mentioned, some are good and some... not so good. All I ever heard was horror stories. One guy wanted to rent space from me and add a feature to our shop. He would give me a great rate for anything I sent his way. Problem was though, he wanted to have full range of the shop during his hours and I saw the clientele he mostly attracted. Paid well, but I didn't want that kind around my building. It was easy to say no, and I never really wanted the additional headaches.

I'd think long and hard before jumping in.

Charlie J

Don't do it. You'll make a ton of money. The key is you have to upsell your customer to a high end film. Don't bother trying to compete with the cheap guys. They won't be in business long anyways. If you want some more info, give me a shout.

We started out as a tint and PPF shop and added vinyl and then later print graphics. Like many people have said it can be good money, but it's not really something you can pick up quickly or easily. PPF is definitely easier than tint to learn and generally more money. Like somebody mentioned there are a lot of people who will go with the cheapest price they can find for tint, but it's no different than the wrap industry. Even if the you and the other shop use film with a lifetime warranty it's your job to sell why you're the better option, even if it costs a more.

With tint you can only upsell so much (better film, maybe add a sunstrip or sunroof) but not much. But with PPF it's practically limitless. Our basic package is: front of hood and fenders (generally 16-20 inches), headlights, mirrors, and door edge guard. From there you can upsell the bumper, whole hood and fender coverage, above the windshield, A-pillars, door entrance, rocker panels, rear fenders (especially duallys and muscle cars that have wide rear ends), trunk entrance, bed rails on trucks, door cups, or even the entire vehicle (we've done full vehicle coverage on a couple new Corvettes). Hell, even Oracal has a PPF film for the harder hit areas (doesn't seem like the greatest quality, but I've only seen a small sample).

Tint is of course very seasonal (slows to a crawl in winter and ramps up in the spring and summer), but PPF seems to be a bit more steady. Rocks get thrown year around not to mention the sand and salt if you're in an area that gets a lot of snow.

We install Llumar film, by the way.

Alanmcp

posted to the wrong thread, dont know how to delete comment so I decided to chime in about the window tint. I just moved from Ohio to Florida,

Up north it seems like there where not many places that did window tint. Down here I see it everywhere. I would guess (depending on where you are) the learning curve, competition, liability of broken glass or messed up job. or lack of need from the local population. That in my opinion it would be best to look for another addition that would be easier to add and sell to your current customer base.

Just my two cents

Thanks, Alan

reQ

I have been set up at a flea market in Pinellas county, FL for about 2 months selling Dye Sub phone cases, vinyl signs and decals. I have not had any issues with my printer as of now. I also leave all my equipment there over the week.

My best advise is to have a plan and know how you want to set up before you get there. I am in a covered space but no ac.

My biggest concern would be if it where to rain. Have a plan to protect your equipment and be able to keep selling at the same time.

I have my printer, laptop, heatpress, cutter, and more all and have not had any problems with power. I would go and check out where you want to set up before you go.

Best of luck,

And this comment is for....? I don't see any connection at all.

TXFB.INS

Thanks for the feedback and input, some points were brought up that were previously overlooked.
definitely more things to consider.

as we get more questions I'm we will be back.

when you partner with a brand are you only able to sell that brand?
Specifically we have been looking at HUPER, LLUMAR & 3M films and it seems each one has pros / cons and within the grades some seem to out perform the comparable brands from the other makes

reQ

Thanks for the feedback and input, some points were brought up that were previously overlooked.
definitely more things to consider.

as we get more questions I'm we will be back.

when you partner with a brand are you only able to sell that brand?
Specifically we have been looking at HUPER, LLUMAR & 3M films and it seems each one has pros / cons and within the grades some seem to out perform the comparable brands from the other makes

Well, by most policies, you can't resell the raw material at all. You can sell pre-cut kits etc, but no raw material. You can carry as many brands as you like, and offer different brand to your customers. I was using LLumar at the start, then Suntek rep came in and gave me way better deal on the film + awesome service.
There are few good brands that you can't go wrong with:

1) Suntek
2) LLumar (which was bought by suntek not to long ago)
3) 3M (in my opinion its overpriced)
4) SolarGard

reQ

oh, and if you will look into PPF:

1) XPEL - overall best package.
-Good film
-Best patterns & cutting software on the market (DAP)
-They also have their own installation gel, which works awesome

2) Suntek - 2nd best
-Good film
- Not bad patterns & cutting software (TruCut), but not as good as DAP

3M is not even close to the quality with their film & patterns. Many people think that 3M is the best, but at least not in this case.