• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adhering 4 mm Coroplast to large glass windows ?

appropriate1

I have a customer with a few buildings they wish to tear down within a year. For now, they would like all windows covered with something to block them out from public viewing in and make the building look a little better in an upscale area. All are ground level, but some have atrium type walkways below them to lower levels and are impossible to reach for applying vinyl. It is also cold in our area now and applying vinyl would be difficult and maybe would only work during midday hours. Most windows are 8 x 8 feet, or in that ballpark. I think a better might be coroplast sheets adhered to the glass. They might be printed with a design and if so, not dark colored, as they will get too hot in next summer's sun. I have measured and calculated approximately 75 sheets would do the job. Tough to reach areas can be reached at edges and sheets with adhesive dropped into place and rubbed down with an extension brush. Question is...what type of adhesive would you use? It has to stick in cold to both glass and coroplast for a year. I'd prefer caulk, as doing double face tape on the backs of 75 sheets in a lot of tape and time. Open to suggestions. By the way, interior is not an option and was my first suggestion.

Attachments

• IMG_0592.jpg
    IMG_0592.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 257
  • IMG_0581.jpg
    IMG_0581.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 109
  • IMG_0586.jpg
    IMG_0586.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 101
  • IMG_0590.jpg
    IMG_0590.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 108

Stacey K

I like making signs
If you have your mind made up with using coroplast then perhaps a double sided clear VHB adhesive tape would work. the come in rolls like this...I've used both 3M and Oracal. I've also used double sided carpet tape for various projects - it's clear and cheaper! You could run it on all 4 sides. I'm wondering if it would warp in the middle? I think you could run a line down the center also and it would look OK. Much better than the rags they have now LOL
1638038674388.png
1638039137301.png

Billct2

Why is the interior not an option?
We have used cheap foam tape to do similar jobs but it doesn't hold up forever and we never did the initial installation in the cold.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Re-reading this. If you use some kind of a caulk, I would be worried about it sliding off while you wait for it to dry. Maybe a combo of some kind of tape and liquid nails? The tape could hold it in place in the corners while the liquid nails dries. The caulk option would be cheaper than all the tape. Can you just try a sample on an old glass window? Stick it in your freezer and try to pull it off.

gnubler

Ditto on why no interior? What about hanging banners inside? Double sided tape or Velcro strips top and bottom, you could pull them taut to look good enough.

appropriate1

Thank you for carpet tape suggestion. I tested on cold glass in cold weather both Liquid Nails and Loctite Caulk and none worked, but the indoor/outdoor carpet tape was strong and solid next day, too. VHB tape would work but is a very expensive option, by comparison.
I did suggest interior sprayed paint and other options, but now they are insistant on printed vinyt for the entire job. Eight 7 x 9 foor windows are very difficult to reach and with cold weather around the corner, it will be complicated and two or three times the price or coroplast, but will look better for a year until torn down. Not sure I can handle adhering 2500 square feet of vinyl in the cold and I started reaching out to some bigger wrap shops in the area today.
Thanks for the advice!!