• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adobe Photoshop Gradient Question

Signs4Realtors

Can someone who knows Adobe Photoshop tell me how this circle gradient was created in the attached screenshot. I need to change it to a rectangular background with the same gradient.

The lower layer has a 100% solid color which is simple.

The top layer has a 76% opacity with a Screen. AND IT HAS A DOWN ARROW NEXT TO THE THUMBNAIL WHICH IS INDENTED TO THE RIGHT INDICATING SOMETHING? WHAT IS THIS INDICATING? It's not just a circular gradient layer on top of a solid color layer. The layers are linked/attached in some manner?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

Attachments

• PhotoshopQuestion.jpg
    PhotoshopQuestion.jpg
    115.6 KB · Views: 389

Rick

Certified Enneadecagon Designer
Did you click on your GRADIENT tool (G) and look in the upper left hand corner to see if that gradient show up in the gradient selection window?

If it is:
-- open a new file, the size required...
-- Add the required layers needed
-- Make a rectangle
-- Gradient Tool
-- Select the Gradient in that window on the upper left
-- Sweep gradient across rectangle to your liking
-- Make required Opacity adjustments to match
-- On a lower layer, add solid color

The Vector Doctor

Chief Bezier Manipulator
Whenever I am given a file with a gradient I run the image through photoshop and apply the "posterize" command to see how it was created to make starting points, directions etc a bit easier to see. Here is your file

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 4.28.19 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2018-10-08 at 4.28.19 PM.png
    125.6 KB · Views: 313

AKwrapguy

Can someone who knows Adobe Photoshop tell me how this circle gradient was created in the attached screenshot. I need to change it to a rectangular background with the same gradient.

The lower layer has a 100% solid color which is simple.

The top layer has a 76% opacity with a Screen. AND IT HAS A DOWN ARROW NEXT TO THE THUMBNAIL WHICH IS INDENTED TO THE RIGHT INDICATING SOMETHING? WHAT IS THIS INDICATING? It's not just a circular gradient layer on top of a solid color layer. The layers are linked/attached in some manner?

Thanks in advance for your assistance!

So the issue would be the 'layer 1', it looks like a clipping mask. You should be able to release the clipping mask and than add a new layer in between them and than reapply the clipping mask to that new layer.

Signs4Realtors

Thanks for your input. I released the clipping mask on Layer 1, but when I click on the layer 1 and gradient tool, there is no gradient to copy and apply to my rectangular shape that I need. I know how to add nodes in Illustrator and change a circle to a square using the nodes...but I'm not familiar with doing that in Photoshop (changing a round circle to a rectangle)? Might be easier to re-do the shape rather than trying to figure out how this was created.

Attachments

• PhotoshopQuestion.jpg
    PhotoshopQuestion.jpg
    90 KB · Views: 280

shoresigns

Thanks for your input. I released the clipping mask on Layer 1, but when I click on the layer 1 and gradient tool, there is no gradient to copy and apply to my rectangular shape that I need. I know how to add nodes in Illustrator and change a circle to a square using the nodes...but I'm not familiar with doing that in Photoshop (changing a round circle to a rectangle)? Might be easier to re-do the shape rather than trying to figure out how this was created.

Layer 1 is a raster layer. You can't edit a gradient on a raster layer, because it's not live – it's rasterized. If you want to edit a gradient in Photoshop it needs to be on a vector layer or a gradient fill layer. If your gradient is in a raster layer and you want to edit it, you have to recreate the gradient.