• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Adobe's "artboard" - Flexi's "document borders"

iSign

just when I got used to the issue with artboards that I think first cropped up for me in CS4..I encountered an out-of-the-blue odddity yesterday in Flexi...

In illustrator, over the years I've often ignored the artboard, which I've typically left at 8.5" x 11" & selected the "hide" option to avoid distraction.. but then in CS4 (or 3?) I was importing files into Gerber Omega, SAi's Enroute (and probably Flexi) only to find the information outside the artboard was lost...

So, I got used to that now, but similarly, in Flexi, the document border has been a detail I chose to ignore, and for years i have output print/cut jobs partly (or entirely) outside of this box, with no issues...

...until yesterday when the artboard defaulted to the same size as a .tif image I was bringing in, and then after importing the contour cut vector, which was an offset path, 1/4' larger then my print, we output the job & the cut lines were cropped to the edge of the document border...

I've opened older files and verified that I will still get the same acceptable results outputting those old jobs today, with data outside the document border.. but not on this new job (so I've learned how to re-size the document border) ...so that seems to confirm I haven't inadvertently altered a Flexi setting...

...but I still want to know if anyone is familiar with why, when or for what reason such cropping to document borders may occur???

GAC05

Quit buggin' me
Doug what format are you exporting the flexi files out to?
eps, pdf, ai?

wayne k
guam usa

iSign

I'm not exporting, I'm just printing the Flexi files, so I click on "rip & print" and then the cutter mis-cut a job where it exceeded the parameters of the document border...

mikey-Oh

noticed the same thing when printing a layout from flexi. found a way around it in the dialog box, there's an option for artboard or selection. at least with my flexi7.6v2... i'll check the bossman's 8.1 tomorrow when i get time

cgsigns_jamie

Which version of Flexi?

I've never heard of this... Like you I often just ignore the "substrate" and most of my artwork lies outside of that imaginary border.

Can you send me the file?

iSign

Flexi 8.6v2

dl the file here:

http://islandsign.com/border.zip

you should see a fancy sign panel border shape, broken up into 4 pieces, ready to be printed from a .tif file (since that's just the way I do things as a rule) and contour cut from vectors.. but all this is centered on a document border, that automatically generated itself to be the exact size as the .tif file... and as a result, my cut lines are outside of that box by 1/8" top & bottom...

...and if you click rip & print, and then zoom in... you will see what happened.
(I hand cut little strips of laminated white orajet, and saved re-printing, but hope to learn to prevent future instances of this little surprise)

iSign

Jamie,That would make total sense, so I am not discounting that idea at all... but what happens for you? Can you turn it off & resolve the issue?

I actually think I just turned that on yesterday in my trouble shooting efforts, because I never panel jobs (always just break them apart in Adobe software & send as 2 jobs) and had never even been to that "panel" tab before... but I suppose my employee could have done something like that by mistake and that was my first question I asked him...

...but either way, I tried to turn it off & it doesn't correct the display of the issue on my set-up... does it appear to correct it for you?

cgsigns_jamie

As soon as I unchecked the box the cut lines that were "cut off" appeared on the preview... After you un-check the box you have to click the auto panel button. That will recreate the panels to include all of the artwork.

Here's a screen cap...

Attachments

• Capture.jpg
    Capture.jpg
    54.4 KB · Views: 111

iSign

Nice catch

yep.. I love this place...

the drama threads & the goof-off threads, and all the real fun threads go on for days... but these little gems that drop like a rock after making someone's day... these gems are what keep us all coming back... a nice catch indeed!!

cgsigns_jamie

I'm just glad I could help!

I agree with Doug 100%. These little threads are what keep me coming back.
But I have to admit, the drama makes for some good weekend entertainment when things are slow.

(Sorry for the delay.. been a bit busy and I forgot about this thread)