• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Advice needed

mmorse

Hello! I was wondering if I could get some input as to what is the best plotter on the market today that won't cost me a gazillion dollars? I have worked in the sign biz for a few years and am thinking of branching out on my own. At my former employer we had a Mimaki printer and plotter. Also a roland and the Gerber Edge. I would like to print and cut, but may have to start out with just cutting the vinyl until I can afford a printer.
Any and all advice is very welcome.
Thank you! You are a wonderful group of people!

Not a Graphtec fan, hard to get support or parts for it, it just died so I opted to purchase a used Roland Camm 1 for quick cutting jobs and it is not doing to bad, it has some ++'s and --'s but it gets the job done. I absolutely loved my allen datagraph and if the time comes that we need to be cutting a lot again, I would look to buy another one

Starter

I have a Graphtec and a Summa. Both good machines if you maintain them. No complaints about either

ikarasu

Not a Graphtec fan, hard to get support or parts for it, it just died so I opted to purchase a used Roland Camm 1 for quick cutting jobs and it is not doing to bad, it has some ++'s and --'s but it gets the job done. I absolutely loved my allen datagraph and if the time comes that we need to be cutting a lot again, I would look to buy another one

This is a good point, in a way. Find out whats supported in your area. In my area, our techs can do/repair our graphtec in the same day. You don't want to buy a summa or grapghtec and find out you don't have any techs in your area to repair it.

Roland GX-24 Camm-1 here. Been using it for 5 years without a hiccup. We've only had to replace the cutting strip once in that time, about 12-18 months ago.

Johnny Best

Summa user, Have owned a Roland, Ioline, Gerber and love the Summa which has never gone down. I wish I had a gazillion dollars, and if I did I would not spend it on a plotter either.

Pippin Decals

Graphtec is the best yes but i started with a titan 2 28" ( 24" cutter) and so glad i did..the cost was great as well. And i have put my cutter thru a lot of tests compared to the graphtec and i feel its neck and neck..Even on uscutter website they have a graphtec and titan 2 on the same level..... Its all up to you on what you want to spend and what size you think you will be doing and not doing .I went with 24" because i have learned i can do many different sizes like a 4x8 sign depending on the design of course..But i am very happy with my titan 2... The other thing to look for is the software for cutting...MY OWN opinion is i tried vm,signblazer and a few others etc and i went with Sure cuts alot 4 pro(AKA SCALPS) from craftedge.com which supports all cutters from uscutter and graphtec is on the list...I combined scalps with ai cs6 and what a perfect combo. Scalps was very very easy to learn and do many things without having to struggle on what i need to do from point a to point b..Many people may use it or not and have thier own opinion on every software out there, but i honestly like easy,simple,fast to get a job done..Any questions i would be more than happy to answer anytime...Just think before you buy..But at least get a titan2 or graphtec and you wont go wrong..Dwayne

Also if you want to see scalps work let me know and craftedge.com has a trial you can download as well to check out scalps4pro.. Im willing to teach you scalps and ai from what i know.. pippindecals.com to see my style of what i do with both programs to get a finished product...

PHILJOHNSON

Sales Manager
Good afternoon,

I would consider one our SummaCut Series models. You won't get all the "bells and whistles" that are included with our S2 models, but you will get superior cutting accuracy and tracking compared to Graphtec, Roland, and Mimaki and the pricing is comparable to the other brands. We also are running a promotional offer on our cutters this month that will help keep the cost down as well.

If you would like to pick my brain on our various models and how they compare to others mentioned in this thread I would be happy to help. I can be reached via email at philj@summa.us or by phone at (800)527-7778, ext 112.

Best of luck with the plotter shopping!

Regards,

Phil Johnson
Summa Inc.

decalman

I used had a Roland for 17 years. Last year I bought a new Summa D75 from Phil, and I love it. The tracking especially.

31legen

Summa, I couldn't be happier with mine. Very easy to learn how to operate and the support is second to none.

Grafix

Also recommend the Summa although a lot more pricey than my Grphtec was. The tracking is superior as is the print/cut accuracy. Very happy camper :)

ExecuPrintGS

Love our graphtec. If you plan on getting a printer later buy a plotter that is big enough to support the printer you will buy later.
In my experience combo printer plotters suck (but thats just my opinion), so get a good plotter now and a good printer later you will be further ahead instead of buying a cheap plotter now and having to buy another later to support the printer you get.

eahicks

Magna Cum Laude - School of Hard Knocks
Graphtec is your Honda or Toyota of the plotter world. If you prefer driving a BMW, then get a Summa. In the end, they all cut vinyl. Depends on how much money you like giving away.

CreatedDesigns

I have owned a Graphtec FC-7000 130 since I started . I just got a brand new Summa S2 T140 yesterday. I cut my first job and instantly knew the Summa is superior. But just starting out I could not afford a Summa unit, something I had to save up for.