• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Advice on new cut machine

gromitron

Hello folks, I have a Roland Versacamm vs 640 for print cut and I have a job coming up that requires unprinted vinyl cutting with avery a5 vinyl. It's a big job long term, enough to warrant buying a new cut only machine, if it would significantly speed up the process. The Versacamm seems rather slow, so I wanted to get advice on what machine you might recommend for quality fast cutting of simple small graphics (most rolls I use would only require 24 inch). Other than roland I am unfamiliar with most of the other brands... Their pro cutter 36 is about 3 times the speed of the VS64, but any advice for others to look at would be most appreciated.

Sorry if this is in the wrong forum!!

Ed

Driving Force

You can't go wrong with a summa. Best cutters in my opinion. I have owned several different brands, most are pretty good but summas work great and have the best tech support.

FatCat

Another vote for Summa.

Top notch tech service if you ever need it, and very reliable, well-built equipment.

rjssigns

Summa. Our old D610 still knocks it out of the park. Load a 50 yard roll and go to dinner. No issues.

timjf

-10 for summa

Good luck getting any support and when you do they will still get more money out of you. On top of that when you get it back from service under warranty and they charge you $700ish it may still not work like in our case. Also Winplot is complete crap. So make sure you account for buying a new program unless you have one already.
If you do any print/cut make sure you have a lots of bleed. Our cutter cuts way off, sometimes as much as several inches. I won't even get into the stupid stuff it does that makes us eat LOTS of vinyl.

Good luck on your search. I am less interested in bashing Summa, it's hopeless, but I hope to help your business by giving you my honest opinion. I don't' work for another cutting equipment company, I own D140 that it is about 2.5 years old. When I was looking for a cutter I was told by many that Summa is the best of the line. I want for my business to have the best equipment I can afford. Buying a Summa cutter very well could hurt your bottom line. I know it has hurt ours with all that is has screwed up. And that doesn't even account for time it takes to fight it to somewhat work.

DigiPrinter

Graphtec makes good cutters as well. There's a lot of hype for the Summa's but I don't think you can go wrong with a Graphtec either. I have a FC7000-75 that's been cutting strong for 5 years. I'll sell it to you so I can upgrade to the 54" :smile: