• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

After almost seven years, calling it quits

dynawg

Wow Chris..

Sad to hear it! I owe you much for the help and advice you gave me 'way back when'.

Be sure to keep in touch! Maybe now you can get a chance to take a break and get down here to the beach and say hi.

Take care!
Bob P.

Baz

Well that sucks ... But then again you can look forward to new and better things! Sorry to hear about it but best of luck Chris to you and your family! You're first class all the way:thumb:

threeputt

Chris, that's tough. Sorry to hear it. My wife and I thought you and your wife were gracious hosts for the Signs 101 meet-up last year.

Good luck in your new endeavor(s). Hang in.

GP

No doubt you have learned a wealth of knowledge that will be applied to your next great run. Good luck and strangely, congratulations on your decision. I am sure it was tough, but when I "retired" from my last endeavor, it was a relief and I suddenly started sleeping again.

Have a fine weekend and continued success down the road -

GP

Steve G.

Good Luck Chris. Just another chapter in life.
Glad to hear you'll be keeping GrafixCALC going, I'm still a very happy customer!

ProWraps

hey chris. im sad to see you go. you were one of the "level heads" around here. but im a bit confused.

you clearly have a great respect for your talent and rightfully so, and im sure you have a good customer following.

it sounds like you might have just gotten head deep in overgrowth which is why we stay small and lean. i feel your pain.

but im wondering, why dont you take your great skills and your following and just do it out of your home? i hate to see you pack it in but i get the feeling something happened that makes you want to move on :(

sorry if it opens a sore wound, but man, your software, and EVERYTHING else you are known for is something most would only wish for. its worth money its so established.

is the possiblity of a smaller operation to keep doing what you do so well in the cards?

Air Art Girl

Chris, You know I hope the best for you and Kim. I hope you still get to do some things on the side as I know you enjoyed the business. If there is anything we can ever help you with, as Rep said, you have our number.

Side note: Also glad to see Ian here.

Bullzeye

Sorry to hear that Chris,
I have talked to you several times about the software you offer. I purchased it when I started my business 3 yrs ago and I must say it was a life saver. If anyone is having trouble with their pricing structure I highly recommend his GraphixCalc pricing software.
It is worth every dollar. Good luck to you Chris.
Rickey

ChiknNutz

hey chris. im sad to see you go. you were one of the "level heads" around here. but im a bit confused.

you clearly have a great respect for your talent and rightfully so, and im sure you have a good customer following.

it sounds like you might have just gotten head deep in overgrowth which is why we stay small and lean. i feel your pain.

but im wondering, why dont you take your great skills and your following and just do it out of your home? i hate to see you pack it in but i get the feeling something happened that makes you want to move on :(

sorry if it opens a sore wound, but man, your software, and EVERYTHING else you are known for is something most would only wish for. its worth money its so established.

is the possiblity of a smaller operation to keep doing what you do so well in the cards?

A little history. We bought our current home with a large shop on 5 acres specifically to work the business from home. This was back in Fall 2007. In Fall 2008 we were forced to shut down our business or move to a commercial location, thanks to our neighbor and the county. Turns out, on an R-5 pc of property you can only have a 900 SF shop that is 75 feet from the propertly line, and can only have 1 employee outside of your family. Well, our shop is 1280, is 30 ft from property line and we had 3 employees. Even though this is the letter of the law, most never are bothered or restricted. This is not to say that the shop is illegal for residential use, but as soon as you use if for business, the rules are all different. We are now back at our home for the time being, and may do some small jobs, but will never be back to what we were. I have a pretty high-level career outside of signs, so it really doesn't affect us financially at all (since we've not made any money with the business in over a year now). I do want to keep active in design, but don't have lots of time to devote due to my current career.

luggnut

I have a pretty high-level career outside of signs, so it really doesn't affect us financially at all

at least you have that as some good news.... but i'm sorry to hear signs didn't work out.

GypsyGraphics

but im wondering, why dont you take your great skills and your following and just do it out of your home? i hate to see you pack it in...
...your software, and EVERYTHING else you are known for is something most would only wish for. its worth money its so established.

...is the possibility of a smaller operation to keep doing what you do so well in the cards?

Chris, I keep coming back to this thread... haven't posted sooner because I though, with so many here who know you well... that they'd more likely have better words of encouragement for you.

But as I continue to read, I can't help but think I've miss out... not getting to know someone like you. Which in turn makes me think your clients/customers will be missing out as well.

Is there any chance you could do what ProWraps suggested?

While we are not well acquainted my well wishes for you, your family and your future, are no less heartfelt.

-gg

ChiknNutz

Thanks so much for all of the kind words and inspiration. We still plan to sell most of the equipment (minus the cutter, Corel and a PC cuz you never know). But, want to sell the printer while it's still worth something.

As previously mentioned, GraphixCALC will still be supported, in fact the next version is likely to be released later tonight or this weekend.

If anyone is interested, I have gathered up most of the things we have for sale. I will post them in the Classifieds later and also have a PDF of it all. Primarily it is the Roland SP-540V w/bulk ink, Dingtec 63" laminator, EyeOne Proof, Wasatch SoftRIP and a few software titles (fills and car outlines).