• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

AI creating contour cut

Engstrom Graphics

sniperhockeydesigns
Hey guys, I am new to printing as I have always worked with just cut material, or outsourced my printing jobs.

I am having trouble with I am sure a very simple task and have tried to research but I am not yielding the results.

I am trying to create a cut outline on this image:

numberscreenshot.png

I have a Roland VersaCamm and use VersaWorks - I am wanting to cut on the exact outline of the black background of the number. I read something about creating a different layer in AI - but couldn't seem to get it to work. Do you print through AI directly to the printer and not use VersaWorks when completed?

Sorry if this is basic - just need some step by step basics for creating a cut line as I will be doing a lot of these and can use the same process.

Thanks in advance!

Lee

Last edited by a moderator:

Jim Doggett

Hey guys, I am new to printing as I have always worked with just cut material, or outsourced my printing jobs.

I am having trouble with I am sure a very simple task and have tried to research but I am not yielding the results.

I am trying to create a cut outline on this image:

View attachment 76907

I have a Roland VersaCamm and use VersaWorks - I am wanting to cut on the exact outline of the black background of the number. I read something about creating a different layer in AI - but couldn't seem to get it to work. Do you print through AI directly to the printer and not use VersaWorks when completed?

Sorry if this is basic - just need some step by step basics for creating a cut line as I will be doing a lot of these and can use the same process.

Thanks in advance!

Lee

Simple, sort of, in any of these 4 ways:

1. It's a font with snazzy effects done to it. So match the font and you're there.

2. Freehand draw an outline. Shouldn't take more than 15 or so minutes to do it perfectly.

3. Use a vectorization program, weld all the objects it creates, and then node/line edit to clean it up.

4. Open the bitmap in Photoshop, make transparent, remove bounding / background, select the wanted element and create a path from it. Then export the path to illustrator, with about a 0.5 pixel accuracy. That'll get yo close too.

In the case of your example, I think I'd go with option 2.

MikePro

great design, but that white outline kills it for me.

no, you cannot print from AI. most, if not all, wide format printers/cutters require rip management software to operate.

I am unfamiliar with versacam/works but creating a cut path is easy:
in my rip software, i'm able to designate a prefix (name) for my cut path. I then, in illustrator, create a swatch of a spot color by that name. Create your desired cutpath(shape/outline) and set your fill to that color and send the object to the bottom-layer. You won't see it, but the rip software knows its there.

Engstrom Graphics

sniperhockeydesigns
Thanks guys - I do NOT want any white.....I want it to be printed (pink gradient top layer, gray outline, and black background), cut decal and cut exactly around the black bottom layer so there should be no white at all.

I am using CS3.

Thanks again, I greatly appreciate it!!!

How does VersaWorks know how and when to cut after it prints?

Sorry, newbie questions I am sure. :)

Lee

ucmj22

In Illustrator, copy and paste the image in front of itself. Select live trace. For the live trace option use one color and set the threshhold to 240. next expand the live trace. There is white in your design which will create holes when livetraced. You will need to use the direct selection tool (white arrow) to select anchors creating the holes and delete them. you should be left with a solid black shape wich wich will be your cut path. you must set the fill to no color. to make the path recognizable by versaworks, you will need to create a new swatch. In your swatches palette create a new swatch, name it CutContour exactly as spelled with capitals as shown. set the swatch type to spot color and the color mode to CMYK. for the colors set C=0 M=100 Y=0 K=0 and create the swatch. set this as the stroke color for the shape you created. Save as Illustrator EPS CS3 and import in to Versa. if done correctly when you select the file in versa you should see dancing ants representing your cut line.

Kevin-shopVOX

Pretty simple actually and it sounds like you are trying to get versaworks to recognize a cut path. Here is how.
1. Take the bottom outline/ shape you want as a cut path. Make sure you expand any appearances it may have and weld it to one shape. This can include counters.
2. Create a swatch as a spot color and name exactly like this: CutContour. Color of swatch is irrelevant but I make mine a bright magenta.
3. Give your shape a stroke of this new swatch with stroke aligned to middle and a thickness of .25
4. Place the new path on top of your art where you want it to cut which can be on the same layer. Personally I add a bleed to compensate for any misregistaton as it cuts.
5. Save as eps and bring that into versaworks and you should see your cut path when ou have print/cut or cut only selected as dancing ants.
6. If you have any opacities in your files versaworks seems to ignore the cut path.

Scott Reynolds

I do NOT want any white.....I want it to be printed, cut decal and cut exactly around the black bottom layer so there should be no white at all.

How does VersaWorks know how and when to cut after it prints?

You'll want to print in a "bleed" area and cut your contour line inside that if you dont want any white showing.

Engstrom Graphics

sniperhockeydesigns
Kevin - thank you. I followed your steps and filled the swatch (and named it) as a bright red and placed it over my original layer.

I saved as .eps - opened in VersaWorks - and I see the red top layer - no dancing ants. I am afraid it will just print the red top layer since I can not see the bottom layer in VersaWorks......I have Print/Cut selected.

Sorry guys - thank for the help, I greatly appreciate it!

Lee

Kevin-shopVOX

Kevin - thank you. I followed your steps and filled the swatch (and named it) as a bright red and placed it over my original layer.

I saved as .eps - opened in VersaWorks - and I see the red top layer - no dancing ants. I am afraid it will just print the red top layer since I can not see the bottom layer in VersaWorks......I have Print/Cut selected.

Sorry guys - thank for the help, I greatly appreciate it!

Lee

Check you named it properly and stroke is aligned to middle. I've never had a problem as I described. It must be a spot color not cmyk? You can also try making the shape a compound path before stroking. Also do everything on one layer. Don't fill the shape s
Give it a stroke of your swatch.

J

john1

Take the back black stroke, make it a CutContour spot color stoke only (no fill) at .24 thickness (you can do this in the color palette) and then make another black stroke and make it extend outside the contour cut line you made. Then save as .eps

Engstrom Graphics

sniperhockeydesigns
Ok - the stroke color I had applied was on the top - I switched it to bottom and now when I open in VersaWorks the red has ants dancing.

Kevin - how do I ensure that stroke is aligned to middle? When I open the stroke tab on the right - it shows stroke (where I can enter weight), then a tab for gradient and transparency......? Thank you!

Will the bottom layer (even thought it is 1 layer) still print the pink gradients, etc.? All I see in versaworks is a black 729, with a red outline and marching ants.

Thanks - and sorry for being ignorant I guess, it is new to me. Thanks guys!

Lee

Engstrom Graphics

sniperhockeydesigns
K got it to cut.........but I guess the last problem is changing the stroke so it is a stroke out line and doesn't FILL - how do I remove the fill?

Thanks!!

Engstrom Graphics

sniperhockeydesigns
Spoke too soon......thought I had it but guess not. I feel like I am doing all of the steps - but I see the red cut line in VersaWorks, but it is NOT moving, like the ants.

I attached a screenshot to see if anyone can see a glaring problem.

Thanks again guys.

Attachments

• Screen shot 2012-05-13 at 7.28.46 PM.jpg
    Screen shot 2012-05-13 at 7.28.46 PM.jpg
    69.4 KB · Views: 113

Engstrom Graphics

sniperhockeydesigns
The 729 decal - created in Inkscape, saved as .svg - opened in AI and everything looked good, gradients, etc. Created CutContour and it worked.

Different file - created in Inkscaps, saved as .svg - open AI and when I open it - it is strictly black and white, no color.

So.....I saved the top layer as a pdf. Background (cut layer) saved as svg. Opened both and tried to follow steps to create cut contour on bottom svg layer and never got the moving ants.

I feel it is something with the file - as I did everything the same to create a cutcontour as before - but for some reason when I open it as a .svg there is no color. I did nothing different in the design process that I am aware of.