• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Alignment of Gemini Lettering?

ABPGraphics

Recently we got a bid on a sign for a courtroom. They liked the look of the brushed metal so we ordered some Gemini letters. It came with a pattern but we were wondering if you guys had any tips on how to line them up Vertically... We called Gemini and they said just butt them up to a straight edge but any sign maker would know that usually (As seen in this picture) round letters are slightly taller than square letters.
See attached picture. Any hints?

Attachments

• Room.jpg
    Room.jpg
    45.9 KB · Views: 80

Whit

Lay out all the letters with the straight edge,,,
mount the flat letters leaving space for the curved letters,,,
drop the straight edge a tad splitting the diff of high and low
and mount the curves on that straight edge !!!
They're not just taller,, they break the line upper AND lower !!!
Good Luck with it !!!

Mike Paul

Super Active Member
Round letters are always larger. Split the difference and center them; pretty simple.
Don't line up the bottom edges like the pic.

i'm sorry i'm speachless. obviously you know it doens't look right. make a pattern there are multiple ways to do this. many who are comfortable with layout will take a piece of masking tape apply it straight to a table and place your letters approx. an inch over the tape and then mark the bottoms to the letters apply tape to wall and place the letters.

if you are not comfortable with eyeballing it with the method above print out a paper pattern on your plotter. and then you can either pounce it (overkill) or place it properly on the wall tape it in place. and then cut it leaving only the bottom inch and a half or so and install the letters.

those are just a few of many ways to skin this particular cat.
'
oh and after seeing the above post...if it came with a pattern..check it and if correct USE IT....on occasion i have received patterns from gemini that are less than correct..so definitely check it.

daveb

General Know-it-all
Gemini has been at this a few years, if you got a pattern from them all the studs and spacing should be done for you, trust it and don't mess with a professionally produced pattern. Nuff said:cool:

James Burke

Being a grandpa is more fun than working
SignCraft had an article a few months back where they made a pen drawing pattern and then used it to align the letters using transfer tape. That was with plastic letters, so you might have a challenge with metal lettering.

If they are metal, here's a better way if the letters have threaded holes.

You still use a plotted drawing.

As a former tool and die maker, I have an assortment of transfer screws that I use for situations like this. Basically, a transfer screw looks like an Allen setscrew with a pointed end. They come in many thread sizes and pitches.

1) Plot your pen layout

2) Insert the transfer screws in the stud holes of the letter (point end facing out...duh)

3) Press the letter onto your drawing. Voila...a perfect pattern.

This way, you're absolutely guaranteed a perfect alignment...each and every time. I use this method for installing bronze plaques onto cemetery monuments.

Best of all, this method will allow you to adjust your kerning to what YOU want it to be.

JB

Malkin

For smallish interior letters installed with VHB, I like to cut a "paint stencil" from paint mask, apply to wall, and then just place the letters in. Remove mask when done.

B Snyder

I do the same as Malkin except I cut and apply the lettering out of vinyl and then mount the Gemini letters on top of that.

round man

Do like it is in the pic,...butt the round letters and space the rest accordingly,...no brainer,.. the round letters being larger by the very nature of their proper letter forms will be your limitation here.if the bottom of those letters are even on the round letters, then the pattern is wrong they should be centered with the whole line of copy as previously stated,... in ancient times stone carvers found that the round letters appeared weaker if done the same size as the square edged letters so they made them ever so subtlety taller(top and bottom) in order to make them appear the same as the square edged letters. Our roman alphabet is based on those ancient roman stone carvings, done hundreds of years before Gutenberg and his press.Our number system was stolen from the arab culture and adapted to match the roman carvings,...the very reason we don't commonly use roman numerals.

Last edited:

andy

Is that scrap of paper in the photograph the template you were given?

For pin mounts you should get a 1:1 size plotted drawing of the letters with all the fixings marked; just line the paper drawing up and you are good to go.

For VHB mounting you should get a laser cut or routed template; position template with masking tape and drop the rigid letters through the holes.... easy.

Marlene

is that the pattern that Gemini sent to you???? I have been using Gemini for years and have never seen a pattern like that. generally when installing letters with double back, you get a tape pattern which is pretty much a tracing on paper of the bottom parts of the letters. I have no idea what value this thing you have is for an install. since you paid for an install pattern, call Gemini and ask them for one that will work with the job as this is a piece of crap and of no use at all.

jdb

Shocking... You are in the sign business, you got a job doing the letters for a court house and you don't even know how to put letters on straight? I'll bite my tongue and won't say anymore.

Marlene

called Gemini and they said just butt them up to a straight edge

who did you talk to at Gemini? they know better than that and gave you advice that was totally wrong. call them back and ask for a REAL install pattern, not that piece of crap you have and ask to speak to someone about the bogus info you got when you called.

PS, how is it that you don't know about descenders? google and read up on them or click below, it has a sample to look at.

www.answers.com/topic/descender

ABPGraphics

Yes that pattern was supplied by Gemini.....I just dont do alot of Gemini and I was looking for tips & tricks with installing the letters w/ round letters......and yes I know all about descenders...I just love these postive supportive responses

:signs101:

Billct2

That is not an installation pattern, that is a spacing tape, usually used when doing simple pin or tape mounting. For stud mounting you need to create a full paper pattern and mark the studs.

petepaz

when ever we do jobs like this we always get the template/pattern print
and everything goes smooth
for the extra $15-20 it cost it saves a ton of headaches

signwizz

they should have your job on file call them and ask for a paper pattern for stud mount it costs around 20 bucks and well worth it
shane

ABPGraphics

when ever we do jobs like this we always get the template/pattern print
and everything goes smooth
for the extra $15-20 it cost it saves a ton of headaches

I think I will go this route and spend the xtra $$ for good pattern

thanks everyone!:thumb: