• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Alternative to Laminating?

ABPGraphics

Hi guys.

Recently I've been wondering if there is any alternative to laminating? We run a Roland SP 300V Solvent Printer when we need to print something that isn't cuttable in vinyl and we use a UV Acrylic spray on them but is there anything that could be better than this? I know most of you are going to say "Just get a laminator" but unfortunately our boss is quite the penny pincher when it comes to buying things for our graphics shop. We have a clear vinyl that we've experimented with laying over the top of our graphics so it acts as a barrier kind of like the new "Clear Bras" for cars they use.

What are your guys thoughts?

Circleville Signs

You should check out the laminator I have for sale in the classified section. It would be a good (and cheap) solution for your needs - especially since you've only got a 30" printer.

Gary

luggnut

clearshield maybe? i use it on banners when they are gonna be reused, rolled, unrolled (like a rockband backdrop)

i have used it on vinyl.. it rolls on with a foam roller, smooths out pretty nicely,... it doesn't offer a lot of abrasion resistance , but it does offer UV protection (i have never heard how much 2-3-4 years?)

it also doesn't add firmness to a print that laminate does.. so i use transfer tape after i let it dry over 24hrs.

Flame

Hi guys.

Recently I've been wondering if there is any alternative to laminating? We run a Roland SP 300V Solvent Printer when we need to print something that isn't cuttable in vinyl and we use a UV Acrylic spray on them but is there anything that could be better than this? I know most of you are going to say "Just get a laminator" but unfortunately our boss is quite the penny pincher when it comes to buying things for our graphics shop. We have a clear vinyl that we've experimented with laying over the top of our graphics so it acts as a barrier kind of like the new "Clear Bras" for cars they use.

What are your guys thoughts?

Edit,.. your boss really is making a poor decision.

That'd be like a pizza shop having a storefront, and oven, but no pizza cutter.

Seriously, your printer was over 10G's easy... and you can get a basic laminator for $1000. Or spend less than a hundred, get a big squeegee, and do it by hand (harder... but definitely doable!).

Tell your boss he needs to fly over, have a cup of coffee with me, and we'll hash it out on business practices. Maybe he can help me save some more money so I can a better padded wallet, and maybe I can give him some pointers on producing a quality graphic (WHICH INCLUDES LAMINATE).

Just my $0.03, had to get my rant of the day over with. :rock-n-roll:

Last edited:

joeshaul

At the least, I'd recommend a Big Squeegee. While it may not be the best for laminating as far as pressure and such goes, it's better than nothing and it will be invaluable for applying app tape and applying vinyl to signs.

From my research, a lot of people recommend Seal as far as a laminator goes, lot of people shy away from the cheaper ones such as Daiges, usually they end up ruining a lot of prints before they get the Daige configured properly. If your boss does decide to spring for a laminator keep that in mind.

UV Spray will work, but you could end up with uneven coatings and it also doesn't provide the scratch resistance a laminate provides. You may be just as well off to not laminate at all than to rely on the clearcoat, the solvent print should still last a couple of years depending on exposure. Cost wise, I'm thinking UV clearcoating will be more expensive in the long run as well.

The clear vinyl you're asking about sounds like the 8 mil polyurethane stuff which from recollection is around 20 times more expensive (not exaggerating) than regular laminate, and has the possibility of coming up easier if you leave an edge exposed on it.

gabagoo

You can use a regular clearvinyl for laminating purposes, but if you are using that, then you could also just use laminate as well, so I dont see the issue. How do you apply the clear vinyl over the graphic?