• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Suggestions Aluminum Cleaning

Caren Hines

Hi all,
I have a OCE arizona 1280 XT And for the life of us we can not find anything to clean the aluminum.
Before we print we have tried everything to clean it, It looks great no smears or streaks then once we print the job you see where it has been wiped down.
We have tried. Windex, Alcohol, Soap & water and even the Metal Prep. Which makes it worse.
Any help would be very appreciated.
Thanks,
Caren

Gino

Premium Subscriber
What kind of aluminum ?? ACM or sheet goods ?? Painted from factory or you painted ??

White Haus

Not a Newbie
I feel your pain. Are you running 256 inkset?

We are, and have always struggled with this same issue.

This is the closest thing to a solution that I've found: https://www.matthewspaint.com/Products/Cleaners/Matthews-Paint/Conventional/Plastic-Prep-6428SP.aspx

The best results I've had (still not even close to being foolproof though) is the wipe it on with a super soft cloth (like a brand new micro fiber rag or chamois) and let it flash off. I used to buff it dry with another fresh dry rag but I've since realized that buffing it off will leave more visible streaks.

Definitely frustrating, I have no idea how anyone could use that ink in a production environment.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Last time I had aluminum I was told to use vinager...it worked very well! Then I went over it wil alcohol

Gino

Premium Subscriber
We use 91% alcohol, but you must wipe it down in small areas. You cannot let the alcohol air dry. You must gently rub it dry, thus the need for small areas at a time.

Caren Hines

We use a mixture of denatured alcohol, simple green, and water. One rag wet with the mixture and then we wipe it with a dry rag.
And you don't have any smudges or smears?
We have tried everything that has been mentioned, so far nothing has worked.
We're using lint free wipes. Tried Lint free cloths, Nothing yet.

ledhead

And you don't have any smudges or smears?
We have tried everything that has been mentioned, so far nothing has worked.
We're using lint free wipes. Tried Lint free cloths, Nothing yet.
We have good luck with the process. Just have to make sure that we wipe it down with a dry clothe until all the liquid evaporates.

Caren Hines

Could be your wipe. Try different ones. We like Wypall L-30's. You can get them off of Amazon.
Hi all,
I have a OCE arizona 1280 XT And for the life of us we can not find anything to clean the aluminum.
Before we print we have tried everything to clean it, It looks great no smears or streaks then once we print the job you see where it has been wiped down.
We have tried. Windex, Alcohol, Soap & water and even the Metal Prep. Which makes it worse.
Thanks,
Caren

Hey All,
I found what works! We have a cleaner called Wonder Cleaner and, we used Microfiber Towels with it. No streaks or smears!
Let me know how it works for you.

Attachments

• Wonder Cleaner.jpg
    Wonder Cleaner.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 207
  • Cleaner_Towels.jpg
    Cleaner_Towels.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 175

Caren Hines

I feel your pain. Are you running 256 inkset?

We are, and have always struggled with this same issue.

This is the closest thing to a solution that I've found: https://www.matthewspaint.com/Products/Cleaners/Matthews-Paint/Conventional/Plastic-Prep-6428SP.aspx

The best results I've had (still not even close to being foolproof though) is the wipe it on with a super soft cloth (like a brand new micro fiber rag or chamois) and let it flash off. I used to buff it dry with another fresh dry rag but I've since realized that buffing it off will leave more visible streaks.

Definitely frustrating, I have no idea how anyone could use that ink in a production environment.
Hi all,
Thanks,
Caren

I found what works! We have a cleaner called Wonder Cleaner and, we used Microfiber Towels with it. No streaks or smears!
Let me know how it works for you.

Attachments

• Wonder Cleaner.jpg
    Wonder Cleaner.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 171
  • Cleaner_Towels.jpg
    Cleaner_Towels.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 169

Caren Hines

Denatured Alcohol with a microfiber towel. I think the microfiber towel is very important part of it.
Hi Brandon,
We found that this product works great and, I agree the microfiber towel is a big part of it.

Attachments

• Cleaner_Towels.jpg
    Cleaner_Towels.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 160