• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Analyse and improve the effectiveness of your designs

CheapVehicleWrap

Jon, you didn't see that when it came out maybe 6 months ago? I'm curious to hear YOUR views of it. I ran a couple of my 5 free in it but then the rest expired.

GypsyGraphics

well i didn't see it and it's incredible! i can imagine actually showing clients the report... evidence as to why something works or doesn't. getting clients to approve a layout different than what they visualized, can prove to be rather frustrating. the idea of being able to show them evidence could be a great tool!!!!

THANKS A MILLION JON! :notworthy:

Jon Aston

Jon, you didn't see that when it came out maybe 6 months ago? I'm curious to hear YOUR views of it. I ran a couple of my 5 free in it but then the rest expired.

Wrapster: Actually a Mar/Comm consultant friend of mine tipped me off about 3M VAS back in maybe May. I thought it looked cool, bookmarked it... and forgot all about it, until tripping over it again this evening.

I've spent alot of years looking at signs. Analyzing what works and why, versus what doesn't work, and why not. And I've done a little reading on the subject.

I'm of the opinion that signs need to be designed with a visual communications process in mind:

• Signs need to be visible and conspicuous, or they might never get a viewers attention.
  • On gaining the viewer's attention, you've got a very narrow window of opportunity to actually connect with them and communicate.
  • The message (primarily copy) needs to be both legible (typestyle, letter height) from the viewing distance and readable (which would take brevity and foreground/background contrast into consideration).
And I've known for some time that faces and eyes attract our attention, on some very primeval level.

So... If you take that process thinking into consideration, you should be able to (and many have, including 3M) study the variable elements with experimentation and observation... and measure results.

Every sign company on the planet has the opportunity to pursue design excellence - in order to maximize the value they create for their customers - by applying process thinking and using tools like 3M VAS. What excites me is that some will, but most won't... which (for those who do) contributes to sustainable competitive advantage. In marketing, that's the goose that lays golden eggs.

Jon Aston

well i didn't see it and it's incredible! i can imagine actually showing clients the report... evidence as to why something works or doesn't. getting clients to approve a layout different than what they visualized, can prove to be rather frustrating. the idea of being able to show them evidence could be a great tool!!!!

THANKS A MILLION JON! :notworthy:

GG, you have a terrific mind. Definitely a great tool to introduce customers too... On many levels. And you're welcome!

XOJA