• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Antique kid's wagon font

Jillbeans

Hi, I have to rebuild this.
Any suggestions on a font to base this on? I can always trace it but I want it to be perfect.
:thankyou::signs101:
Love....Jill

Attachments

• sonny1.jpg
    sonny1.jpg
    129.3 KB · Views: 109
  • sonny2.jpg
    sonny2.jpg
    50.9 KB · Views: 86

Gino

Premium Subscriber
It resembles Souvenir a little, but honestly, it looks like something hand cut in ruby and then screen printed for mass-production.

Jillbeans

That's what I'm thinking too. The pic is from the www not the actual wagon, which someone sanded and repainted.

OldPaint

i would take a sheet of tracing paper, tape it on one side take the time to trace it exactly. if i was doing the "refurb on it, i would be repainting the yellow any way. it need a total sandblasting and a good fill 2 part epoxy primer. this is body shop work. also before i had it sandblasted i would take it to an auto paint store...........and match the red as close as possible with a auto paint. and a lot of detail pictures of BEFORE. this is a refurb i did.

Attachments

• metalhorse.jpg
    metalhorse.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:

SignosaurusRex

The S is definitely a GOUDY style. Goudy Catalog, Old Style and Old Style Italic will pretty much give you everything you need. The rest is up to you with tweaks and such.

Jillbeans

This is what the lady sent me, it was all she had to go by.
Not sure if it's a tracing or what.
The wagon has been stripped.
She wants a black decal.
(and this after me chiding someone for vynulling up an old pickup)
:wink:
I have a ton of period fonts, and will also give the Goudy family a whirl.
:thankyou:
PS: OP that turned out swell!

Attachments

• 0608121927.jpg
    0608121927.jpg
    39.5 KB · Views: 94

SignosaurusRex

Wow......she really "F"ed up that project didn't she. Screwed the pooch with it's value and made your job a real cluster "F". I'd charge her up the ...... for what she wants. Damn! Some people are only alive by sheer luck. If you can't charge her accordingly.....just throw a quickie together with Goudy.....heavily molested of course and she will never know the diff. Otherwise make her bring it in and you can slap it with paint. Again, charge her for it good!!!

OldPaint

ask the lady to look all over the thing and see if there is a stamping with the comapny name and or date. I HATE WHEN DUMB PEOPLE do dumb schit, like starting a project when they ARE DUMB............... then expect us to fix it for cheap!!!!!

Jillbeans

^refer to my post #3, I said the pix were from the www. It's all I could find and it was better than my "tracing".
I have the border all rebuilt, now to do the name.
I don't think the lady who I'm dealing with was the one who stripped the thing without the trace or whatever, not to defend her, but she seems OK.

bob

It's better to have two hands than one glove.
It resembles Souvenir a little, but honestly, it looks like something hand cut in ruby and then screen printed for mass-production.

Hand cut. The two 'n's are slightly different. Compare the upper right where the curve straightens to form the leg of the 'n'. The left 'n' is a smooth transition and the right 'n' would appear to have the curve stop and then turn straight leaving just a hint of a spur.

As for what typeface, shrug. Most likely someone set cold type and ran a proof on a platen press to use as a pattern or just winged it.

SignosaurusRex

That is a 1937 (aprox) era wagon. Back then most everything was drawn out on paper with pencil to create a pattern and then a screen stencil was cut from that. Quite often the stencil itself was paper held onto the screen by nothing more than the ink itself.