• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

any Canadian Companies know what is needed to ship signage down to the US of A?

gabagoo

I have 14 48" x 76" alumapanel boards with digital print and Paper holders attached. Before i took the job on I told the American customer that I could not ship these as the cost using UPS or Purolator would be enormous and they would be damaged in shipping. They said they have a sister company not far from me and I could take them there and then they would be shipped to their plant with the daily shipments that they make using trucks.

I knew it could never be so simple.... I need to know what is it I have to have on any paperwork so that they can get through the border effortlessly.
anyone know, or who can i call to get reliable information and possibly a form?

Baz

You should hire a Customs Brokerage firm. They would prepare all the info you need and send the paperwork to whichever border crossing your package will go through.

Mosh

Guess I don't follow you. You are going to take them to their sister plant in Canadia right? So let them worry about the boarder crossing. Or is the sister plant in the USA?

Just smuggle them through!!

John Butto

Guess I don't follow you. You are going to take them to their sister plant in Canadia right? So let them worry about the boarder crossing. Or is the sister plant in the USA?

Going over the Peace Bridge with liquor in the wiper fluid container.

J Hill Designs

I feel the same way - as far as your business is concerned, you are delivering within your country...correct?

gabagoo

OK so yes I am taking it to a sister plant...but it is not their responsibility to fill out forms and document the shipment. So far I have found out I need to have a packing slip and a detailed invoice included in the shipment. That sounds to easy, but I will continue to investigate.
I can't use a customs broker because it is their trucks taking the shipment which crosses the border daily with car parts. I'm sure the truck won't even be stopped but I just don't need the headache if it does and something is not right.

Baz

Border crossing can be a pain in the ... Especially for commercial use. I would consult the Canadian Government website and US government site and read up on what you need as far as documents.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
Very seldom have we sent things across borders, but I have always made it the customer's responsibility to make sure all things are in order and they pre-pay for everything except shipping.

Too many things can go wrong. I once had a lady shipping something out of the country and they wanted a breakdown of what the banner material was and a thorough breakdown of all the properties in it. Then they wanted to know everything about the vinyl and inks being used. It got so bad, I almost cancelled and then the customer took over and got it through with a military push. Her uncle or aunt was in the military and they did what it took.

I'm not saying that's the norm, but it can become a nightmare.

Mosh

I send decals to Australia at least once a month...I just fill out a form and off it goes. nothing big, usually 2'x2'x2' box full of racing decals. No one ever asked me and other questions.

gabagoo

sometimes they need tariff codes for different products....try getting those for your chinese banner material!!! I have even received calls from customers who need tariff codes on retractable banner stands....

I have tried calling several govt agencies but can't seem to get a consistant answer. What a pain except that it was a good order.

anotherdog

You also have to have the NAFTA certificate.
For that you need to register or use a Brokerage.
Honestly, it sucks. we do a lot of cross border with UPS.
My advice is use a professional shipper. Package WELL, have all the paperwork in order and cross your fingers.
Customs is designed to protect the US from free trade by making it very difficult to ship.

Try to sneak across the border with a van and well... you will be in the room with the guys who wear latex gloves.

royster13

Very easy.......

They will need 2 copies of your commercial invoice and a NAFTA Certificate of Origin.....You can download both forms from the Canada Customs website.......You do not need a broker or to register with Canada Customs......I take many shipments across the border and have never in 12+ years had any kind of significant issue.....

http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/forms-formulaires/menu-eng.html

You will also need the "Tariff Code".....Might be something in Chapter 76
www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/trade-commerce/tariff-tarif/2013/01-99/ch76-2013-02-eng.pdf