• I want to thank all the members that have upgraded your accounts. I truly appreciate your support of the site monetarily. Supporting the site keeps this site up and running as a lot of work daily goes on behind the scenes. Click to Support Signs101 ...

Any ideas on a help wanted ad?

Stacey K

I like making signs
Wow....... how many can read a scale ruler ??
I can! I remember that from architectural class, right??? My favorite ruler is the pica pole. I use it all the time, it's quicker to read than a tape measure for small stuff.

Scotchbrite

No comment
I was thinking about this post over the weekend. I had a customer last week ask me if I was hiring. Her grandson teenager has a plotter at home and dabbles with graphics. Considering my other kid quit for Walmart and my son has no interest, and his own summer job, I think I should talk with him. It would be nice to have someone who has some knowledge with weeding and I would assume he's probably dabbled in with some light installation.

When I do trailer or vehicle installs I typically have the kid go ahead of me and do surface prep. Next I like to have a helping hand in lining the graphics up and while I'm squeegeeing, the kid can start to line up on the other side using the measurements from side one, then remove the masking from side 1 while I fine tune the measurements on side 2 then help me squeegee side 2, remove masking, final wipe down, etc. The kid I had could not read a tape measure and zero confidence in taping anything up. He could not make decision without me standing there which defeated the purpose. I would tell him, "just get the graphics close..." after about 15 minutes I would go over there, thinking he would have them up (because what was he doing to for the last 15 minutes?) nope. He was just fiddling around with the tape measure pretending to do something, which was nothing. Even when he took out the cardboard for recycling, I told him just cut the tape on the boxes, fold them and jam them in the can, only cut them down to make them fit. After 20 minutes I would check on him (because again, what is he doing for 15 minutes?) - he's tearing each box and each roll down to 6" squares with his hands, didn't even use the knife. In his defense, he was a very good cleaner, good with bookwork and a nice conversationalist. He did lend a helping hand but just could not do anything on his own.

Finding someone with some common sense who has the basic concept of "measuring" and using a tape measure is harder than a person would think.
Is "the kid" your son? I decided a while ago my kids couldn't work for me. They just don't take it seriously enough and I ain't got time to constantly watch over them. They're good workers for other people at least, just not for mom and dad.

We had good luck hiring a good high school age worker thru a job fair the school put on. Unfortunately, he had grander plans that working at a sign shop; diesel mechanic.

Scotchbrite

No comment
I used to use a scale ruler all the time back in the days of faxing drawings to people. I still print drawings to scale since Flexi makes it easy in the print dialog box, but the scale ruler is just a good straight edge these days.

Gino

Premium Subscriber
My stepson worked for me about 35 years ago. Around day 2, I hadda tell him to go home, before I killed him. He knew everything and I did not have the time to teach a know-it-all about life and how to shut the fug up. Some kids are meant/cut out to help in the family business and others are definitely not meant to be anywhere in the same hemisphere.

Stacey K

I like making signs
Is "the kid" your son? I decided a while ago my kids couldn't work for me. They just don't take it seriously enough and I ain't got time to constantly watch over them. They're good workers for other people at least, just not for mom and dad.

We had good luck hiring a good high school age worker thru a job fair the school put on. Unfortunately, he had grander plans that working at a sign shop; diesel mechanic.
....my boyfriends son LOL He's the only one out the 5 of our boys that isn't handy. I never understood why he was in the house doing dishes and laundry on Saturdays and the other boys were outside cutting wood, changing oil, etc. ...well, now I know LOL

My son would rather bail 100# bails of hay at the farm and work for the landscaper wheelbarrowing gravel 12 hours a day than help make signs.

Guess our line of work isn't for everyone...

MJ-507

Master of my domain.
Be happy to. But, I'm a rare commodity. Good luck finding another "me". Honestly, I can't be that unique though. There are a lot of people in Florida. There's hope.
You would think there's hope but, I'm not so sure. The company I work for is in Atlanta and, while I've worked here as the Sr. Graphic Designer for 12 years, we have been trying on & off for 10 years to find someone to fill the second chair in the department. I think, so far, my boss has hired/fired about a dozen people from the position. Most started off doing fairly well, some supposedly had prior sign design experience, but none of them could do the job properly. They either had no concept for the fundamentals of graphic design and/or zero creativity, or they could not grasp the knowledge needed about the fabrication/installation of signs enough to prepare technical drawings, or, in more than a few cases, both. It's amazing how many of the "designers" had decent portfolios but, when put to the test, showed no understanding of kerning, leading, color theory, etc. - all of the stuff that is taught in the first year of college classes. Like you, I know I'm not unique. I know I'm not the only person in Atlanta that can design signs and also draft shop drawings so the signs can be produced. I'm sure that the best people - or at least most of them - already have positions elsewhere, but there has to be at least one person with enough skills to use as a foundation while they are taught industry - and company - specific knowledge. With the amount of work we have coming in (we are the busiest I've experienced in the 12 years I've been employed here) that we've resorted to subcontracting a lot of the technical drawings to a firm in India so I can focus on the creative. The biggest issue with that is the time difference, but our contact must work overnight because he is always available during US business hours.

Notarealsignguy

Arial - it's almost helvetica
You would think there's hope but, I'm not so sure. The company I work for is in Atlanta and, while I've worked here as the Sr. Graphic Designer for 12 years, we have been trying on & off for 10 years to find someone to fill the second chair in the department. I think, so far, my boss has hired/fired about a dozen people from the position. Most started off doing fairly well, some supposedly had prior sign design experience, but none of them could do the job properly. They either had no concept for the fundamentals of graphic design and/or zero creativity, or they could not grasp the knowledge needed about the fabrication/installation of signs enough to prepare technical drawings, or, in more than a few cases, both. It's amazing how many of the "designers" had decent portfolios but, when put to the test, showed no understanding of kerning, leading, color theory, etc. - all of the stuff that is taught in the first year of college classes. Like you, I know I'm not unique. I know I'm not the only person in Atlanta that can design signs and also draft shop drawings so the signs can be produced. I'm sure that the best people - or at least most of them - already have positions elsewhere, but there has to be at least one person with enough skills to use as a foundation while they are taught industry - and company - specific knowledge. With the amount of work we have coming in (we are the busiest I've experienced in the 12 years I've been employed here) that we've resorted to subcontracting a lot of the technical drawings to a firm in India so I can focus on the creative. The biggest issue with that is the time difference, but our contact must work overnight because he is always available during US business hours.
If I had a dollar for each time someone told me to "just put an ad out" I could retire.